Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alain
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 1, 2017

Re: New ANC mode won't save after turning off/on QC35

+1

Any way the ANC can be controlled from the volume buttons on the headphones? For example, a 2-3s press of volume up to turn off ANC, and volume down for turning ANC on.

rhysyg03
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 4, 2017

Re: New ANC mode won't save after turning off/on QC35

+1

Yeah it's been great having control for the noise cancelling. Any headphones controls as well as App would be great for those moments you don't have your mobile.

jim06
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

Re: Manually disable noise cancelling on QC35

Hi Bose community and support,

i just bought the QC35 few hours ago and was about to return it before i read this thread. The missing ability to disactivate NC on such expensive headphone was enough to justify this return.

After updating the FW to 1.3.2, mising option is finally here (thanks), but as Clarkkent says, it still needs to be improved in order not to be dependent on the APP and the option selected saved for next start.

A customer from France

Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@jim06 how do you propose Bose allow the ANC level to be adjusted without the app?  For reference, the QC30 was designed with this type of functionality from the beginning, and features an extra pair of buttons on the side of the inline remote control, a + and - for the amount of ANC; this is in addition to being able to adjust in in the Bose Connect application.  However, the QC35 was not physically designed with this feature in mind and doesn't have the extra buttons.  I'm curious how you'd like to be able to adjust the level without that.

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Clarkkent
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

I am not an engineer, but I am a CGI special effects artist. In our programs we have the ability to assign hot keys for commands, so I assume it's similar to that. Because there are only so many keys in a keyboard and we have a lot more commands so each key has more than one command but pressing, releasing, pressing said no of times etc by specifying. 

I think, to be simply put in lay man terms.

Lets say, the command that turns on and off the ANC is a ghost/spirit/a different personality. (Which the firmare already has since it can be done with the app, the app tells, do this  to the firmware) and the buttons are the bodies or people or hosts.

If we assign let's say, press and hold the middle button for 5 seconds, or press middle button and the rewind button together, deactivate ANC spirit lol or that personality (ANC OFF) takes over the host (Middle button held for 5 seconds). Does this make sense, I know its a silly example. QC30 may have its own dedicated button, but just because QC35 does not have it's own ANC button, doesn't mean any other button can have additional functionality. For example, QC35 already has the middle mouse button that does many things. Same button can rewind AND forward, based on how you press it. 

Turning on and off the ANC is nothing new to the firmware now since it can already do that but the command comes from the app. We wanna be able to tell the firmware, that you can also turn off ANC if the user presses and holds the middle button for 5 seconds or any other buttons that the enginners feels better.

Does this make sense? 

Clarkkent
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

@Mutnat wrote:

@jim06 how do you propose Bose allow the ANC level to be adjusted without the app?  For reference, the QC30 was designed with this type of functionality from the beginning, and features an extra pair of buttons on the side of the inline remote control, a + and - for the amount of ANC; this is in addition to being able to adjust in in the Bose Connect application.  However, the QC35 was not physically designed with this feature in mind and doesn't have the extra buttons.  I'm curious how you'd like to be able to adjust the level without that.

I am not an engineer, but I am a CGI special effects artist. In our programs we have the ability to assign hot keys for commands, so I assume it's similar to that. Because there are only so many keys in a keyboard and we have a lot more commands so each key has more than one command but pressing, releasing, pressing said no of times etc by specifying. 

I think, to be simply put in lay man terms.

Lets say, the command that turns on and off the ANC is a ghost/spirit/a different personality. (Which the firmare already has since it can be done with the app, the app tells, do this  to the firmware) and the buttons are the bodies or people or hosts.

If we assign let's say, press and hold the middle button for 5 seconds, or press middle button and the volume up button together, deactivate ANC spirit lol or that personality (ANC OFF) takes over the host (Middle button held for 5 seconds). Does this make sense, I know its a silly example. QC30 may have its own dedicated button, but just because QC35 does not have it's own ANC button, doesn't mean any other button can't have additional functionality. For example, QC35 already has the middle button that does many things. Same button can rewind AND forward, based on how you press it. 

Turning on and off the ANC is nothing new to the firmware now since it can already do that but the command comes from the app. We wanna be able to tell the firmware, that you can also turn off ANC if the user presses and holds the middle button for 5 seconds or any other buttons that the enginners see fit.

Does this make sense? 

jim06
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 8, 2017

+1

@Mutnat as @Clarkkent says, Bose already developped  NC disable function in firmware, and we have a multi-function button on the headphone, why not jsut adding an other key sequence for this?

From my point of view as IT engineer, and i'm sure this is not a hard job to bind this function to this button. It might just take some time but, so far Bose have listened the feedback and made the product revision as suggested.

Keep in mind it's just software....nothing (should be) impossible, we just don't know schedules of the devs neither the code behind our ears 😉

jponte
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2017

Guys, i'm afraid of one thing.

That ANC off option may never be control by buttons because... they will do it for the next generation of bose headphone (QC45). That is what you call a marketing or a commercial operation.

Hope i'm wrong...

Clarkkent
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 30, 2017

@jponte wrote:

Guys, i'm afraid of one thing.

That ANC off option may never be control by buttons because... they will do it for the next generation of bose headphone (QC45). That is what you call a marketing or a commercial operation.

Hope i'm wrong...

You may be right. There's no gaurentee. But I don't believe the bose engineers are stupid to have not thought about this. Maybe they thought, everyone is always interested in having the ANC on. But ANC creates a lot of ear pressure and it is not very good to have it on for a long time, regardless of what brand the headphones are. But Bose ANC is the best hands down so far, I have sampled so many before and own over 20 headphones. Nothing like Bose.

However, I really hate to have it on all the time. 

Like the other poster said, it is just a key sequence that can be done in a day and can be released and it is only not done so far, because the Dev team maybe busy. Or it is a deliberate attempt to sell it on the next one. Whatever the case maybe, it is not fair if they don't do that because this is not cheap. It costs 500 ish dollars for me in Canada.

If they don't give me a solution soon, I will return this for sure. I have another couple of weeks to return anyway. I hope they take the loyal customers who paid such high prices seriously and provide this functionality which is a basic in all the other ANC headphones. I am sorry I am fed up!

robw.smit
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 12, 2017

I am very please to use the new noise cancelling level control functionality. I would also like to save my preference, as is suggested in a new topic. 

Another idea that I would like to post here, is to automatically adjust the level of noise cancelling. I work in an office environment with varying levels of noise. I noticed that I constantly switch between the high and the low level setting, depending on the noise level in the office. An automatic noise level detection and subsequent adjustment would be absolutely fantastic!