Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troubleshooter
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 2, 2017

Re: Manually disable noise cancelling on QC35

Thank you for implementing the adjustable noise cancelling.

Like other users, I strongly prefer that the noise cancellation preference be retained between power cycles on the QC35.  I'm glad to have the full noise cancellation when needed, but the "pressure" of max noise cancellation is uncomfortable in low to medium-noise environments, which is where I use the QC35 most of the time. 

You said you "engieered this behavior" so that the headphones would reset to high without need for a mobile device.  Is this a common problem?  Have you asked your users?  The setting is a preference, your users are telling you what they want.  You're then making an assumption about what they might want in the future and disregarding their preference.  I switch off my headphones several times per day to save battery.  So here's the process I go through multiple times every day:

1) return to my desk, want to listen to music, switch on headphones
2) feel unfomfortable pressure.  Grumble at Bose's decision to not remember my preference.  Again.
3) fumble for my phone, unlock it, find the Bose app, wait.......
4) If lucky and the app eventually finds the headset go to #4, if not, go back to #3
5) open noise cancellation settings.
6) lower noise cancellation.  Again.
7) listen to music happily until next meeting, then switch off QC 35
😎 repeat

A simple checkbox like "remember my preference" would handle all opinions on this subject.

@ST - Hearphones wrote:

We engineered this behavior so when you need to restore Noise Cancellation to High, you can do that without a mobile device. All you need to do is turn the QC35 off and back on.

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @troubleshooter

Thanks for your detailed reply. 

We'll pass this on to engineering

ST

ricotter
Participant
Registered since

Aug 29, 2017

I completely agree with @troubleshooter 100%.

Please make this happen.

troubleshooter
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 2, 2017

@ST - Hearphones, I don't know how product decisions are made at Bose, but this strikes me as more of a product management decision than an engineering one.

I would expect that maintaining the preference state of noise cancellation between power cycles would be trivial for Engineering to implement.  In fact, given that the norm is to retain state between power cycles (volume, music share, voice prompts, etc...) I'm guessing that it took additional effort to reset the noise cancellation effort between power cycles.

jaanuskas
Participant
Registered since

Sep 4, 2017

I also agree, that this is super-annoying, that you need to repeat that action over and over again. Bose, please fix this problem a.s.a.p.

MrFast
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

+1
I agree - great detailed description by troubleshooter.
Please make the noice cancelling preference permanent. If that proves difficult on existing headsets, please make the default setting Low, I infinitely prefer Low over High, since it gives me less "pressure".

I suspect the "High" default setting might be leftovers from a time when the Bose QuietComfort mostly was used by business travellers on flights. Nowadays, I see the QC headphones everywhere, and I believe another default setting will make a better first impression. 
I just bought a second pair for my son's birthday - he uses it in the gym - noice cancelling off.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression."
 Cheers! 

Fenton
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

Hi everyone

New here. Have used Bose headphones for years, and have used other noise-cancelling headphones before, though never from Bose. Have today bought the QC35 (literally a couple of hours ago) to replace my Soundlinks which are literally glued together (but still working and sound great). I bought the QC35 after reading that they're supposed to be the best Bose has, and gone on faith as I love Bose and this'd be the 4th set of their headphones I'll have bought to date.

I assumed (like my previous Beats with NC) that you could turn off the noise-cancelling if required. I've just found that putting on the headphones has actually started giving me a bit of ear-ache, and feeling pressure like if I was on a plane. I assume this is due to the NC. Am downloading the update now, and glad to read here that there will be an option to disable it presumably once that's done. If there wasn't an option to disable it then tbh I'm not sure yet if I can get used to this pressure feeling and might have to take them back. Never had problems with the NC on my old Beats headphones (so didn't expect to on this one), and I'm very surprised that there isn't a simple switch to disable it like on that one.

Also I agree, I tend to listen to music whilst at work, and I would leave the NC off so I could hear my colleagues easily call me or the phone ring, without having to have one earphone off to do so. This is definitely something that we should be able to disable with the software, and the settings be remembered.

Fenton
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 8, 2017

I bought mine just recently. The firmware on the headphones needs to be updated in order to enable the ability to turn off the noise cancellation.

When I ran the app and connected it to my headphones I was prompted if I wanted to install the update. Let it do so. It took quite a while to download, but once it did it updated the headphones firmware, and after that I had the option to disable or reduce the noise reduction (although as others have pointed out, when you turn it off and on again it will always revert to high setting by default and has to be manually changed).

FSoleil
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

Any news about this possible update? Thanks.

@ricotter wrote:

I completely agree with @troubleshooter 100%.

Please make this happen.

FSoleil
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2017

@ST - Hearphones wrote:

Hi @troubleshooter

Thanks for your detailed reply. 

We'll pass this on to engineering

ST

Hi, hope we'll get the update at least in 2017 or earlier. it is really annoying to switch all the time. Thanks.