Zooter
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 3, 2017

Re: [Feature request] - QC35 listening during charge

Just wanted to lend an additional vote for the feature request to let you charge the QC35 while listening wirelessly.  

It's a pain to get out the QC35 listening cord when it's rarely needed normally, whereas a mini-USB charging cable is always around due to the vast quantity of devices that use it. 

Plus to listen when charging you need currently need cables plugged in on both sides of your head.  With this new feature, you would need just need one cable, the mini-USB, plugged into your headphones on just one side and you wouldn't lose the noise-cancelling like you do today.

Highlighted
TnTzDad
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

My recommendation is to buy any Bose headphones at Best Buy and acquire the added 2 year protection beyond Bose 1 year.  Yes, it may seem pricey at first.  But consider that you're paying an extra $90ish for a guarantee if the battery fails.  No swapping with a refurbished model.  You get a brand new set.

Renan
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

I think this is a safety feature when the headset does not work while charging.

You may have read about instances where lithium-ion batteries are caught on fire or explodes spontaneously. In case this happens, you don't what to the headset on your head or ears.

Better be safe than law suits

baudav
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 15, 2017

Hi,

Why use lithium batteries in this case? the risk is the same whether it is charging or not if the battery is of poor quality. And I have never seen a phone that could not be used during its use, even on a phone call next to the ear.

I think it's once again a planned obsolescence; with an inaccessible battery. Currently the autonomy is correct, and it does not pose a big problem. The bug that was draining the battery has been fixed.

wZpr
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 23, 2018

@Tony_G wrote:

Josephoasis

That's a great question. The battery in the QC35 is a lithium ion battery. After 500 full charging cycles, the expectation is that the battery will retain 80% of its original capacity.  Of course, this may vary from user to user but this is the anticipated lifespan of the battery.

Hope that helped

Tony

Can't see how that answers the question...

Resorting to using the audio cable is a cheap work-around, not an acceptable solution imo. This and the fact that you, as a user, can't change the lithium battery is outrageous for a product that costs as much as the Bose QC. I can only hope that the competition offers better solutions than Bose. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the product myself.

engineer3003
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 7, 2018

One more user that is stunned that you when you listen to music, and plug in the USB charging cable, the headphones turn off, and can't be turned on until the charging cable is removed.  At least charging and listening via bluetooth should be possible.

Even better would be if the QC35 would present itself as a USB sound card when plugged in, so that plugging in could also be used in areas where too many people are using bluetooth and filling up the frequency, in addition to charging and listening.

dlralban
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2018

This is very frustrating: no possibility to listen to music while charging... except with the wire plugged and the headset off which give a poor user experience since the sound becomes very low.

Before buying a QC35 ii, I had a two year old way less expensive Plantronics headset which had this basic feature...

Wouldn't it be possible to udpate the firmware of your products to address this basic need?

Thanks for your answer on this specific point,

Alban

flobrousset
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 30, 2018

Hi,

It's the same for me. Before QC35 II, I had a plantronics back beats pro 2 and I was able to listen music while it was plug.

As you said, a firmware update can be really usefull to activate this feature. 

Maybe in your Roadmap ?

Thanks to your reply.

maxnuk
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

unfortunately Bose will not do this firmware. For she does not want to have the responsibility of the battery exploding in her head or anything that causes harm to the user.
maxnuk
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

in addition, when you connect the usb, the handset enters safe mode. For Reset purposes and other things.