Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asdfasdf
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

General Noise Cancelling Headphone Question

Do noise cancelling headphones (any brand) work alone or is background music required for the noise cancelling to actually work?

I tried a pair once, don't remember the brand. Alone, without background music playing, the noise cancelling effect was VERY UNDERwhelming. With background music though, it was better.

However, I'd prefer true peace and quiet.  So does anyone make a TRUE noise cancelling headphone that works without background music?

4 REPLIES 4
Pilou42
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

Re: General Noise Cancelling Headphone Question

ANC does not need anything to work. If it's enabled, it just works.

What do you call "VERY UNDERwhelming" ? You meant you heard people speaking ?

ANC is good at blocking some frequencies. For example, QC35 is good at blocking low frequencies. It's OK with middle and high frequencies (though several os uf think it was very good in first firmwares) but not very good, that's why you can still hear people talking.

Anyway I'm not sure it is recommended to keep artificial ANC too much on your ears (I tell you that only if you planned to keep it every day, morning and afternoon).

"True peace and quiet" can't be associated with artificial noise reduction. Smiley Happy

asdfasdf
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

Tested my friend's pair at his home with a car engine in the garage, blender, vacuum, and his neighbor mowing. 

When the headphones were NOT connected to a music player the noise cancelling had almost no effect at all, I could just very barely tell a difference.

But when it was connected to his phone and music was played then the noise cancellation actually worked, it actually reduced those noises.

Was wondering if anyone made a noise cancelling headphone that actually works, that actually cancels noise. I want to put them on and hear silence, not music.

James_S
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

There is no level of noise cancellation that will produce silence. Noise cancellation is most effective in environments with lots of low-frequency sound (planes, subway, buses, etc.). It’s combined with passive blocking of the ear cups and cushions to reduce sound at all frequencies. No combination of passive and active technologies reducing sound entering your ear can make sounds with higher-frequencies, particularly at voice frequencies, completely inaudible. Some people who wear noise cancelling headphones while walking hear when their feet hit the ground because bones also transfer sound. Our ears process and 'hear' those vibrations too.

asdfasdf
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2017

I understand you can't buy the cone of silence for $200.  But I'm also not going to spend $200 just to replace an annoying noise with music of the exact same volume. Thats like the difference between a true deodorizer and an odor masker.

I'm asking if anyone makes a noise cancelling headphone that makes a true difference (NO background music).  A headphone that makes a vacuum 10 feet away from you seem like its on a different floor, or an airplane engine during flight seem like its idling on the ground.