Highlighted
brogersao
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Headset jack works on Lenovo thinkpad but not on Lenovo Thinkcentre

My headset mic has never worked on my Lenovo thinkcentre. Bluetooth doesn't work (20 hours trying to figure that one out), so I plug in to the headset jack. I can hear but not record. 

However,  when I plug into my Lenovo laptop, everything works. 

Ideas? I was thinking of getting a cord splitter but the male end of the QC35 cord doesn't look like it's set up to transmit separate mic and earphone signals. Could be wrong. . . 

Windows 7 (but likely a hardware issue)/.

1 REPLY 1
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Headset jack works on Lenovo thinkpad but not on Lenovo Thinkcentre

Assume your Bose device is a QC35.  You may want to let people here know exactly what model you have.  I don't work for Bose but it appears to me that your 'issue' is not related to the Bose since it works on one PC but not another.  I have windows 7 like you on a Dell Precision desktop and a Dell Precision laptop.  I can assert that Bose equipment's Bluetooth communications does not work with all vendors on the other end. In the case of my Dell laptop, I went months without being able to get any of my Bose equipment (headphones or speakers) to get paired.  Dell mostly uses Bluetooth hardware from Intel.  I tried everything both four different drivers, uninstalling windows updates etc.  I disabled the Intel hardware and used an SMK Nano BT USB Dongle with CSR drivers (about $15 on eBay).   Everything work fine with it.  Then in last resort instead of reinstalling windows 7/64 from scratch, I did an image restore (I do an image backup about twice a year) from June 30, 2018 and then suddenly everything started working again with the Intel hardware.  All I can surmise is something installed in the last six months of 2018 from either a windows update or an application installation/update that made some changes to one or files and/or one or more registry entries that blocked all the Bose devices from pairing.  Go figure - I never figured out what it was but now all is well.

As far a splitters.

1. If you connect a wire to your output jack on your computer - it is in fact an output jack.  Unless you have a special combined jack of some sort, like most PCs, there is probably two jacks - one for output and one for the mic/input.  Again, plugging a wire into your output jack has absolutely nothing to do with your mic.

2. There are two types of 'splitters'.  Almost all the splitters on the market take the signal and duplicate it on to output connectors.  Again it is the same for both - used for sharing only.  The equivalent of Bose 'party' mode.  If that is not what you want, you need to get a 'stereo splitter' - which takes the combined signal and divide it to a left channel on one connector and a right channel on the other connector.  This is generally what you would use for a pair of speakers. https://tinyurl.com/y4zxv8g4