Hardrocker
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Help! QC35ii Question

So I just received my pair of QC 35ii and I am wondering of I made the right choice in getting these. I'm older and not all that tech advanced so I wonder if these were the right choice. I got the app and they work fine with my phone. Here's the problem: I don't really use my phone to listen to music. I have an old ipod classic with a huge amount of music on it (all downloded from my CD collection). And I don't have a laptop either, I only have my desktop computer. So when I tried these headphones plugged into my computer speakers, as well as plugged into my ipod the sound is horrid! Harsh, brittle trebly sound and the vocals are garbled etc. My old QC15's sound much better. I spoke to Bose support and they are sending me a new audio cable. The audio cable that comes with these seems rather short in length and cheap. Do you think the audio cable is the problem, or did I just make the wrong choice?

4 REPLIES 4
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: Help! QC35ii Question

The only way to know for sure if you are having a problem with the cable is you will need to plug it in to something else - anything else with a stereo 3.5-inch miniplug (i.e., one with a hole in it which we call a female connector).  If it sounds the same, then it is your cable.  If not, then it is whatever you used to play your music with OR the operating system controls itself (Windows/Macintosh).  It is unlikely your desktop has a hardware problem since you already have said your QC-15's playbackback the sound fine.

I have both the old QC-15's and the QC35ii's and when used with wires connected to both my Dell desktop and laptop, they play fine both with audio players like the old standby, Winamp, and video players such as VLC.  I can also hear audio with no problem with my web browser such as youtube and TV streaming with Amazon Prime and Xfinity.  You may want to see if there is an issue with just one of your playback applications.  As you can see, I used quite a few on my Windows machines.  If you can get it to play properly on some but not others then it may just be a need to tweak the settings of the applications giving you the issues.

Keep in mind that it is highly unusual for a cable to be bad.  As Bose is sending you another one, you can check to see if you are getting the same results.  Also remember to see if it is a 'volume' issue by pressing multiple times on the + and/or - buttons on the right side while you are wearing them.

If you still are not getting resolution, you will want to consider just returning your QC35iis.

Hi Hardrocker,

Thanks for posting. I would agree with @joelirwin that the way to tell if the issue is with your cable would be to try multiple playback apps. I would also try to use the headset on another mobile device temporarily for troubleshooting. 

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Hardrocker
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 3, 2019

Thanks for your reply. Duh! I figured it out. I wasn't locking the audio cable firmly into the jack on the headphones. I guess you have to push it all the way in firmly til it clicks in all the way. It's working now. So happy!

Community Manager

Hi Hardrocker,

That's great to hear it was a simple fix!  Sometimes with brand new electronics, the connections points can be a bit stiff until the cable is reinserted a few times to break it in.  

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A