Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

Helping devs to add ANC toggle shortcut

Hi dear Bose users & moderators,

It seems the engineering team clearly has trouble developping the simple feature of disabling ANC using a shortcut such as quadruple action button click or even replace the language selection shortcuts that no-one uses. As a developer with 9 years of active open source experience, I propose to help benevolently on the development of such a feature, and make a report to the community if it ends up being impossible.

I'm pretty sure there is no technical limit to it: we store connected devices metadata, language setting and a full speech synthesis software, we can for sure store a boolean or integer for the ANC status. So it seems the devs are just missing time or funding to do that. Otherwise tell us if it's technically impossible instead of delaying.

So let's be positive and let us help you help us, otherwise we can only rant to express our frustration 🙂

Regards,
Bertrand Bordage
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Helping devs to add ANC toggle shortcut

Hi BertrandBordage,

Thanks for posting. On both the QC35 I and II you can toggle through ANC levels. Here is a link to another post that discusses that,

QC35 Firmware Update V1.3.2 - Available June 22nd

On the QC35 II, you can configure the action button to toggle ANC using the Bose connect app.

Kind Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

It goes without saying that I’m aware of that perfectly unpractical way of disabling the ANC.

I use the headset mostly with my computer, and I find the ANC discomforting when there’s no particular noise around (especially since it adds white noise to a silent room).

To disable ANC, around 5-10 times a day, I have to:

• have my phone nearby, requiring it to be charged and turned on
  • disable Bluetooth on one of the two computers it is usually paired to
  • unlock my phone
  • enable Bluetooth & geolocation on the mobile phone (mandatory geolocation is a pain btw, some people don’t care about “find my headset” features)
  • often I have to turn off + on the headset because re-appairing the phone doesn’t work half of the time
  • hit the home button of my phone to go to the home screen
  • search for the Bose Connect icon and click it
  • wait for Bose Connect to start and check that Bluetooth & geolocation are enabled
  • search for my headset in the Bose Connect list when there are multiple Bose devices around
  • swipe down on my headset
  • wait
  • click on the noise cancellation icon
  • click on off
  • exit Bose Connect
  • disable Bluetooth & geolocation on the phone
  • wait for the headset to re-appair to my second computer, which sometimes doesn’t work by itself, so I sometimes have to turn off the headset and start again the whole thing

Time taken: between 20 seconds and two minutes depending on the various delays and appairing fails, requiring a charged phone.

Time taken with an action button shortcut: around one second, requiring nothing.

This is an extremely bad user experience, especially for something that is not particularly supposed to be used with a phone. And from what I read on the forum, I’m far from being the only one that ends up discouraging people to buy the QC 35 I & II just because of this… A shame for just a software issue that we didn’t have with the QC 25.

Thank you,

Bertrand Bordage

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2019

Sorry, forgot to mention that I am using the QC 35 I.