foxtrot1_1
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2018

I have to manually pair my QC35 II headphones to my Macbook every time I turn it on

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro for work, paired with a pair of QC 35 II headphones. The headphones didn't connect consistently to my laptop, so I updated the firmware from what was in the box. Now, they never connect on the first try - I have to use the Bluetooth dropdown menu to manually select them and hit "connect." That works every time, but it's an unnecessary and annoying step. OSX 10.13.6, headphone firmware Version 3.1.8. 

It's disappointing to me that headphones this expensive can't get Bluetooth right, and considering the number of problems I've had with BT products both expensive and cheap, I'm pretty sure Bluetooth is broken at a fundamental technical level. Maybe it's the problem of the 2.4 GHz band. Maybe it's something in the software. All I know is that I have never owned a single Bluetooth device that connects and pairs 100% of the time without issue. I wonder if we'll ever get there. 

2 REPLIES 2
Treaves
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2018

Re: I have to manually pair my QC35 II headphones to my Macbook every time I turn it on

I also had this problem for a certain period of time. I don't have it anymore, but can't remember if I fixed it intentionally or not.

The first thing I'd recommend is erasing your QC35s from your mac's bluetooth device memory as well as your mac from your QC35 memory, and then establishing a fresh connection. If this doesn't work then here are some things to consider:

Your QC35s will only(?) search for devices when initially turned on, or when you ask them to search (either through the app or through cycling devices using the power switch).

Your mac will only(?) search for devices when turned on, you log in, or it's awakened from sleep mode. There could be other times it does but these are the times I'm sure about.

This means that if your mac is on and you can't get your headphones to connect when cycling through devices on them or using the app, then I would say that your headphones are more likely to be the source of the problem (not searching correctly) but your mac could still be playing a part (not properly discoverable).

However if your headphones are on already and your mac doesn't connect to them automatically when powered on, etc, then I would say that this is more likely a problem on the mac side. I would be very surprised if erasing the devices from each other's memories does not solve this specific problem for you.

Please let me know if erasing helps!

foxtrot1_1
Participant
Registered since

Oct 11, 2018

Re: I have to manually pair my QC35 II headphones to my Macbook every time I turn it on

Thanks for this. Erasing everything on both sides eventually worked for me too. However, there is still noticeable audio delay between the headphones and my Macbook, though it comes and goes. If $400 Bluetooth headphones widely considered the best or one of the best models (Wirecutter, Lifehacker, Amazon etc) can't get pairing and latency right, I think it's time for us to move on past Bluetooth.