Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

Is it normal that I can hear people talk when I don't have music on for my QC35 ii?

I got my first qc35 ii headphones 3 days ago and got it replaced because I can still hear kids playing outside and I can talk to my family clearly when the music is not on. I thought I would be able to cut out most sound. I got a replacement because the technician said it was supposed to block people talking but the replacement is doing exactly the same thing. Is it suppose to work even without the music or am I expecting too much? If the noise cancelling is supposed to work only when the music is on, then why would I need to get these?

Are they suppose to work like earplugs?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: Is it normal that I can hear people talk when I don't have music on for my QC35 ii?

Hi earthyearth!

Thank you for writing in. It is normal to hear people talk. Acoustic noise-canceling is most effective in environments with lots of low-frequency sounds (airline engine noise, buses, air-conditing, etc) and may not be as effective on "sharper" sounds in some environments. For example, the human voice, quick loud noises, babies crying, etc). The ANC will be on with or without music playing. To learn more about the technology, we have an informational guide here that you might find helpful. 

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you again,

Mohsin - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2018

Re: Is it normal that I can hear people talk when I don't have music on for my QC35 ii?

Apparently the new Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones on the IFA 2018 demo floor CAN cancel out voices - released in September. I think I'll be switching if that proves to be true.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

@Mohsin_S Hi,

I have another concern. I just got my replaced as mentioned but now when I play videos/music on my computer the sound gets distorted sometimes, it turned into robot noises. It didn't happen when my previous one. Also, I feel like there are static noises that my previous one didn't have and it seems like the mic is picking up outside noise and playing it back to me. My previous one cancels the sound of me typing but now I can hear it clearly. What is going on?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello earthyearth,

I am sorry to hear that's happening. The distortion could be an artifact of the signal received from certain (often streamed, or highly compressed) sources. Typing would be one of those sounds with less regular sound (since you don't type at precisely the same speed every time) so you may experience a reduction in the sound rather than full cancellation. There are some things that we can investigate to try and narrow down the cause.

• Have you updated the firmware on the new headphones and can you tell me which firmware you are running? You can most easily find the firmware version, when your headphones are connected, in the Connect app under settings>product info.
  • Also, have you been able to duplicate the symptoms on another device?

Let us know the results.

Best Regards, 

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

@Greg_B Hi Greg, I didn't return the first headphones I received yet so I tried listening to the same thing and there was no distortion in the sounds. I really think the new one I got was the defective one and the first one I got is okay. I will contact amazon to return the new one instead.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 26, 2018

@MarkyboyUK Hey Marky,

I've been watching its reviews on youtube and it looks pretty good.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 1, 2018

that's true, the QC35 is not that efficient to blocking human voices and high freq. When flying I cannot get rid of this baby crying or people talking near me, and for 350 eur i guess next one will be a Sony.