Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 20, 2017

Is it normal to hear hiss?

Does everyone experience a low-level hiss or rushing sound when using the QC35? Fortunately, the sound level is only slightly above the threshold of my hearing, but still, I expected absolute perfection from these phones.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Is it normal to hear hiss?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question.  At what times do you hear hiss?  Are the headphones connected via bluetooth, or with the optional analog cable?  Are you playing music that's paused? Or maybe no music, just using the noise cancelling?

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 20, 2017

As I said, the sound is very faint. However, I can hear it whenever the phones are powered on. That includes all the above, BT on, BT off, with the cable, without it, and of course when just using noise canceling. Fortunately this background hiss never increases, and is only really noticeable when no audio source is playing. I am guessing this may be something unavoidable that is inherent to any noise cancelling phones. Does that sound right to you?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi again,

That sounds absolutely normal, and I personally hear the same thing with my QC35s.  When using noise cancelling headphones, the "noise floor" is much more easily noticed, and that is most likely what you are hearing.  All audio devices (headphones, radios, surround sound systems) are going to have a noise floor, and you may or may not be able to hear it depending on the device.  

If you have any more questions or would like further clarification, please let me know!

Best,

Brandon