Is my new QuietComfort 35 headphones working correctly?

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

Is my new QuietComfort 35 headphones working correctly?

Hi, 

I have a new QuietComfort 35 II headphone.  The previous Bose headphones I had, when on, I could not hear the t.v. in the background, while at home.  This new set I can hear the t.v. in the background.   I'm wondering if the headset is working properly, or if not.  Should I be able to hear that, in the background?  I bought them at BestBuy and when I called them, they really couldn't help me determine anything.  Please?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by KBPeterson

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is my new QuietComfort 35 headphones working correctly?

Hi KBPeterson,

Thanks for posting. That's a great question.  We don't make claims about percentage reduction because it is difficult to establish one number that is valid for different environments and situations. QuietComfort 35 headphones II compare very favorably to other noise reduction headphones and reduce unwanted noise to a level that is noticeably more comfortable when compared to the same situation without using the headphones. We encourage consumers to try it for themselves in a variety of conditions, both with and without an external audio source. 

That being said, you should notice a difference between the different levels of noise cancellation. If you do not see a difference between the different levels of noise cancellation when you adjust it, then I would contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G

5 REPLIES 5

Hi KBPeterson,

Thanks for posting. That's a great question.  We don't make claims about percentage reduction because it is difficult to establish one number that is valid for different environments and situations. QuietComfort 35 headphones II compare very favorably to other noise reduction headphones and reduce unwanted noise to a level that is noticeably more comfortable when compared to the same situation without using the headphones. We encourage consumers to try it for themselves in a variety of conditions, both with and without an external audio source. 

That being said, you should notice a difference between the different levels of noise cancellation. If you do not see a difference between the different levels of noise cancellation when you adjust it, then I would contact your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G

Audible Advocate

Thank you, Tony!

I will try it in different situations.  It certainly reduced the volume I could hear.  My previous headset was also a Bose and maybe I'm just mis-remembering that 'everything' was silenced.  

Thank you!

Kelly

Wistful Whiz

Tony,

perhaps you can comment a bit further in a 'comparison' mode.  You talk about with the QC35 versus without and you also talk about the QC35 versus other current ANC competitors.  But what I think is being asked here is how does the QC35 handle ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) relative to other current or in this customer's case, a previous Bose ANC model.

For example, I have a QC35ii but I also own a previous model, the QC25 (I believe it is called that).  So I did my own experiment.  I took them both to (a) in front of my TV about 8 feet away (Disney Jr playing for my grand-daughter) and (b) about 5 to 6 feet away from my fridge.  I listened on both headphones to both.  Now everyone's hearing is different but I can say after trying both multiple times, I could not hear the difference between ANC for those two.  For the TV, I could still hear the voices on both but most of the lower frequencies were gone.  For the frig, I could not hear the motor and fan at all for either.

So you may want to affirm or otherwise explain how the QC35 ANC compares to other Bose devices with ANC.  Certainly there are customers here who take issue with with claimed changes to the ANC with recent firmware changes to the QC35.

You may also want to find out more about what two Bose headphones the poster here had and what were the differences that were noticed.

Audible Advocate

Hi Joel,

Yes, my previous headset was a Bose25.  I lost it on a trip and bought the QC35ii as a replacement.  So I can't compare the two, together. 

Thank you for your at-home-test.  Brilliant!

thanks,

Kelly

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

Sometimes older is better.  I am not suggesting you return your QC35 but if you believe that you preferred the ANC of the QC25 and don't mind using a AAA battery and giving up wireless Bluetooth, I just saw 34 brand new QC25s for sale on eBay (US) starting around $145 (US).  And then interestingly, Amazon is selling an "Airmod" adapter for the QC25 for about $45 (US) to make them Bluetooth compliant.