Alexander
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 31, 2017

Re: Low Volume on my iPad and MacBook Pro

I've experienced the same problem at the Apple store while connected to my iphone 7 plus. Volume up to the max and not very loud.
ktl302
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2017

Your reboot fix DOES NOT HELP.  Just bought the new headphones and the volume on my iPhone 7 and Macbook stinks.  Plug it into a windows laptop and it's LOUD.  

Is there a fix?  If not, will return the headphones.  Disappointed that with all the complaints there still isn't a fix for the problem...

Highlighted
Divij
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

@ktl302 wrote:

Your reboot fix DOES NOT HELP.  Just bought the new headphones and the volume on my iPhone 7 and Macbook stinks.  Plug it into a windows laptop and it's LOUD.  

Is there a fix?  If not, will return the headphones.  Disappointed that with all the complaints there still isn't a fix for the problem...

_____

@ktl302 Check the volume sync in the Apple Device VS the Windows.

You will notice that the Apple volume is in sync with the QC35, but with windows you can use the QC35's own 24 step volume independent of your windows volume, and maxing the windows + maxing the QC35 (24/24 steps) gives you true max.

I have the same problem, tried with my original QC35, a replacement QC35 at the store (Didnt take the replacement coz of same problem) and then a replacement which i took (replaced because of loose bluetooth toggle)

Its not a problem with a selected piece, its how the bluetooth works with iOS. 

Here is a direct message which the Admin sent me.

"Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response as your issue required some research. It appears that you are experiencing a volume sync issue on your Mac. Volume sync is something that we support if the source device uses it. Some Android devices don’t support volume sync and you essentially get two independent gain stages over BT (the one on the device and the one on the headset).

iOS devices do use volume sync and that’s when you get a lesser number of volume clicks. As a certified “Works with iPhone” device, our headsets are required to comply with the device’s volume sync.  This is the expected behavior.

Your Mac sounds like it may be latching on via volume sync sometimes and sometimes not. As an experiment, try to isolate the issue to a specific device. Turn off Bluetooth on the Mac and make sure it’s not connected to the QC35, even clear it from the headsets Bluetooth list so it doesn’t try to reconnect to the Mac, then only pair the headset to the iOS device and use it this way and the volumes on the device and headset should be in sync. Now do the reverse and clear the iOS device from the headset turn off Bluetooth on the iOS device and connect only to the Mac. The result may vary here. Volume sync may or may not work. Disconnecting from the Mac a few times may result in the volumes to be synced but in different # of increments compared to the Mac, this is just a of the OS telling the headset that the volumes are synced but with more headroom (more steps).

I understand this isn’t the exact response you’re looking for and that you prefer independent volume controls consistently.  With Mac computers (and PC’s as well) the frequent updates and other factors can introduce inconsistent behaviors from time to time.  We’ve done some additional research and found some information about low audio with Mac’s and Bluetooth headphones that might be beneficial. 

Let us know if we can help further.

Tony"

I too am waiting for a solution, really surprised why every Apple user has not complained !

Maybe they have never heard the true max and dont know the potential of the QC35.

Mine randomly go out of sync even with my Mac, so i can change the volume independently, but it goes back to the low volume synced mode on its next use.

stef
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 17, 2017

I believe the Bose enginners have never realy dived into the problem. Because there are two separate issues:

1. The sync with the buttons on the headphones

2. The terrible scale of -96 dB to +6 dB of gain/volume control

I explain the second issue here:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-low-volume-in-macOS/td-p/43386

The second issue is the one that although it is easily solvable affects more the low volume output. Until Bose put some work into the problem we have to do tricks in order to get an adequate output. 

Divij
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

As i have already decided to return these due to the ANC issue, i decided to try out 1.3.2 firmware !

Now here is how the volume works, the QC35 controls the macs 16 step volume, and after reaching the full 16/16, it increases its own volume !

That kind of solves the problem as i am now getting the volume that i like.

However, the ANC is still the same, i can hear my fan, the rain, the TV and conversations with music off and ANC on.

I would suggest low volume issue people to upgrade and check it out.

(Warning: If you have virgin 1.0.6 made before august 16, you may loose the original ANC)

cjackson613
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 8, 2017

I tried this and for some reason the right and left headphones were different.  Adjusting helped slightly so they were equal. 

I synced them to a different mac and they were loud.  Re-syncing to my mac and seems the proplem is no longer there. 

Jugz
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 29, 2017

Bought these today and have the same problem. Numerous threads about it..... Bose?

Hey Jugz,

I'm glad that you've reached out with your concern here.  I have done some research on volume EQ issues with iOS and MacOS and it seems that what's described here is expected behavior.  The volume scale may be a bit different than with other devices.

However, if you feel that the volume is too low while at full volume then you could have a defective pair and it may be a good option to reach out to customer support here to discuss next step options.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us".

Please, feel free to come back and give me an update!

Thanks for posting,

Shiloh_C 

Divij
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 11, 2017

Nope. Not true.

Ive explained the issue in detail in my previous posts.

When in sync, QC35 has no internal volume, and the full volume on Mac (16/16) is not loud enough.

The sound is distant, indirect, muffled.

But sometimes, randomly they become independent, QC35 has its own 24 step volume and the Mac has its 16 step volume.

When its like this, the maximum is really loud, unbearibly loud ! (By maximum i mean QC35 at 24/24 and Mac at 16/16)
Also, even at low volumes, but in the out of sync mode, the sound is more fuller.

A simple restart or disconnect gets it back to the synced more and the usual listening volume then is about (14-16)/16 below that they really dont sound good.

I have a video of the unsynced mode too, http://sendvid.com/jk1imgyd
See from 00:35 and you will clearly see that the volume reduces internally in the QC35 without affecting the Mac Volume.

Bose doesnt care, if they did, they would have accepted this issue and tried to fix it.