Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_RSA
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Model 700 Headphones Bluetooth Failure

I am experiencing the same issue as a few other users, and some other problems, but of primary concern is the bluetooth issue.

When powering on the ascending scale tone plays; battery level is announced; "Bluetooth Off" is then announced.

The noise cancellation is stuck at 10, and pressing the noise cancellation button has no effect, and no announcement is played to indicate a change in noise cancellation state.

Powering off does not play the descending scale tone I'd normally expect.  But IIRC this is what it does when the audio cable is plugged in as well.

This problem occurred while I was sitting at a table eating breakfast in a fairly quiet environment.  No adverse temperatures, humidity, noise, or EM interference.

Problem resolution steps:

1) Reset headphones by holding power button and plugging in USB charge cable, plugged into both an AC adapter and USB3 on my laptop - did not resolve the Bluetooth issue.

2) Tried clearing Bluetooth device list on the headphones by holding in the bluetooth button for 5 seconds; 10 seconds; 60+ seconds - this has no effect when done from powered on state or powered off state.

3) Updated to ver. 1.2.11 - did not resolve the Bluetooth issue.

4) Repeated steps 1 & 2 following the software update with the same result of not resolving the Bluetooth issue.

For all intents and purposes the headset is behaving as if the audio cable is plugged in.

The audio cable works normally.

Are there any Windows based USB diagnostic tools available?  Or a factory reset tool via USB?  Or another hard reset method other than the one used in step #1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jason_RSA
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Re: Model 700 Headphones Bluetooth Failure

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jason_RSA

Thanks for the response Tegan.

Been having trouble authenticating my credentials to log in and reply for the last week or 2, but I'm in now...

I contacted a service rep and it was indicated that I would have to bring the unit in for support.

Fortunately I was able to resolve the issue myself in the following way:

Turned the unit off in a partially charged state, left it off charge and turned off for about 24 hours.  This resolved the issue.

I'm assuming the Bluetooth radio was having some sort of power supply issue, leaving the unit cold for a few dozen hours likely discharged a troublesome capacitor, allowing the unit to operate normally when powered back on.

Incidentally, when the Bluetooth shuts itself off like that, the bluetooth connections list can't be cleared by holding in the BT button.

Likewise resetting the unit is not really possible when plugging into a switching charger as included with most smartphones.  Plugging the cable into a computer or laptop is far easier as the USB port does not switch the 5v on contact like phone chargers do.

The unit has worked normally over bluetooth for the last 80~100 hours.

I am still having a distortion/feedback issue when talking with the unit on my head, but I'll take the unit in to a service agent when I'm back in South Africa.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tegan_M

Hello Jason, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this experience with your Noise Cancelling Headphones 700. 

In this instance, as you have attempted the troubleshooting in which we would commonly suggest, I would recommend that you reach out to your regions product support team for further assistance regarding this matter. Our team can be contacted via clicking this link and selecting your region, this will redirect you to our website. Please scroll to the bottom of the website and there you will find a 'Contact Us' tab, this will provide you with all the relevant contact information for your country. An agent here will be more than happy to assist you further here. 

If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Kind regards, 

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Jason_RSA
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jason_RSA

Thanks for the response Tegan.

Been having trouble authenticating my credentials to log in and reply for the last week or 2, but I'm in now...

I contacted a service rep and it was indicated that I would have to bring the unit in for support.

Fortunately I was able to resolve the issue myself in the following way:

Turned the unit off in a partially charged state, left it off charge and turned off for about 24 hours.  This resolved the issue.

I'm assuming the Bluetooth radio was having some sort of power supply issue, leaving the unit cold for a few dozen hours likely discharged a troublesome capacitor, allowing the unit to operate normally when powered back on.

Incidentally, when the Bluetooth shuts itself off like that, the bluetooth connections list can't be cleared by holding in the BT button.

Likewise resetting the unit is not really possible when plugging into a switching charger as included with most smartphones.  Plugging the cable into a computer or laptop is far easier as the USB port does not switch the 5v on contact like phone chargers do.

The unit has worked normally over bluetooth for the last 80~100 hours.

I am still having a distortion/feedback issue when talking with the unit on my head, but I'll take the unit in to a service agent when I'm back in South Africa.

View solution in original post

clacks
Participant
Registered since

Dec 20, 2019

Having the exact same issue which is somewhat concerting after only using it for 3 days. 
i will trying leaving it powered off for 24 hours and see. Thanks for the tip. 

on a side note I reached out to support on WhatsApp. 12 hours in and still no response. Not impressed.