Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h2oh
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

NC 700: Audio turns off when connected via bluetooth

Sound disappears while connected via bluetooth.

Connected to both Macbook Pro, Catalina 10.15.3, and iPhone.

Playing audio from Macbook Pro.

Headset is connected according to Mac's System Preferences>Bluetooth.

(If disconnecting from the Mac, headset says "Disconnected", so clearly connected according to both devices).

Disconnecting and reconnecting via Bluetooth works, but only for a minute before audio disappears again.

So, devices are connected, but sound disappears by itself.

5 REPLIES 5
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: NC 700: Audio turns off when connected via bluetooth

Hi h2oh,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I do have a few questions for you, to help get a better picture of what is happening with your headphones.

Do you only get this audio issue with the MacBook? Or do you notice the sound drop on the iPhone as well?

Also, does this only happen if you are connected to both the iPhone and the MacBook, or will it happen with just the MacBook connected?

Have you noticed any pattern to when the sound disappears? Does it happen after a certain amount of time, or when certain programs are opened?

One thing that would definitely be worth trying is clearing the pairing between your headphones and your computer and reconnecting them. To clear the pairing on the headphones, turn them on, then press and hold the Bluetooth/Power button until you hear a notification. Then forget them from your computers Bluetooth list before reconnecting.

As something else to consider, there do appear to be some reports of Bluetooth audio issues since the Catalina update on Apple's forums, with a number of different headphones, and speaker makes and models. Including one with your exact issue. It would be worth reaching out to Apple as well for this, in case the issues you are experiencing are related to this. There are some troubleshooting steps on these threads worth trying as well.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
h2oh
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Hi Keith, and thanks for the fast reply!

Do you only get this audio issue with the MacBook? Or do you notice the sound drop on the iPhone as well? 

After checking, I seem to have a similar issue with the iPhone. It is connected, both according to the iPhone and the headset (when disconnecting via the iPhone the headset says "iPhone disconnected").

Also, does this only happen if you are connected to both the iPhone and the MacBook, or will it happen with just the MacBook connected?

It will happen with just the Mac connected and with both Mac and iPhone connected.

Have you noticed any pattern to when the sound disappears? Does it happen after a certain amount of time, or when certain programs are opened?

There is no pattern, as far as I can tell. It looks like it happens after a shorter and shorter period of time - from a couple of times a day, to after a few seconds, but that might be random.

One thing that would definitely be worth trying is clearing the pairing between your headphones and your computer and reconnecting them. To clear the pairing on the headphones, turn them on, then press and hold the Bluetooth/Power button until you hear a notification. Then forget them from your computers Bluetooth list before reconnecting.

Yes, I tried this earlier, but the issue persists.

As something else to consider, there do appear to be some reports of Bluetooth audio issues since the Catalina update on Apple's forums, with a number of different headphones, and speaker makes and models. Including one with your exact issue.  

I also thought this might be an issue with the Catalina update, but now that I recognise it is also happening with my iPhone I am not so sure. The issue you referred to is very similar, however, I do not have any audio on my Mac. As far as the Mac is concerned the audio output is the NC700. I will only get audio on my Mac if I disconnect from the NC700.

Best & thanks!

Håvard

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Håvard,

Thank you for providing that information.

As it does seem to be happening with both the Mac and the iPhone, it does seem less likely that it is related to the Catalina update. 

As clearing the pairing list didn't do the trick this time, what I would suggest you do next is reset the headphones. To do this what you would need to do is: 

• Disconnect all cables from your headphones.
  • Connect the larger end of the USB charging cable to a wall charger or a computer that is powered on.
  • On the headphones, press and hold the Power/Bluetooth button while connecting the smaller end of the USB cable to the right earcup. 
  • Once connected, release the Power/Bluetooth button after two seconds.

It would also be a good idea to check for and install any updates available for the headphones using the Device Updater on a computer and following the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
h2oh
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Hi Keith,

I verified that the headphones were up to date using Device Updater, then went ahead and reset the headphones following your instructions.

Now what happens is:

- Either the headphones will disconnect after a few seconds, and sound is played on Mac

- Or the headphones will stay connected, but sound played on Mac.

In both cases, it happens in less than a minute after connecting.

Best

Håvard

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Håvard,

Thank you for doing that and letting me know.

Is this still happening on both the Mac and iPhone or just the Mac now? 

As there is such a predictable pattern on the Mac, what programs/apps do you have open when this happens? If you were to force close all the apps open on your Mac would the headphones still behave the same way? If not re-open your apps one by one and see if a particular app is causing the headphones to disconnect/go quiet.

Something I have seen mentioned with Macs before is the potential for Bluetooth interference from a Wi-Fi connection, if you were to turn off Wi-Fi on your Mac, would the headphones still behave the same way?

Let me know how you get on with this!