Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

Odd "bubbling" sound when on Bluetooth phone call with QC35 II

When I am on phone calls via Bluetooth with Bose QC35 Series II, the conversation is fine for awhile then I hear a digital "bubbling" or "pinging" sound and I cannot hear the other party. It is as if I am getting out of range of the BT signal...like the audio equivalent of pixelization in video.  But the phone is on my desk or in my shirt pocket and the headset is...well, on my head.  What is the problem here?  The other party cannot hear it, only I can.  

I listen to podcasts while on flights and I have not noticed the problem.  Only while on phone calls.  I have one of those femto-cells in my home and I am showing 5 bars on the cellular link.

How do I make this stop?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Re: Odd "bubbling" sound when on Bluetooth phone call with QC35 II

Hi sonoman,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this sound during calls. From your description, it sounds similar to the kind of interference one might experience when using a VoIP service such as Skype. Two avenues of troubleshooting would be to see if the issue still occurs when the headphones are connected to your phone using a 3.5mm audio cable to rule out Bluetooth as the culprit, and testing calls from outside of your home to rule out the Femtocell. 

Please let me know if you still experience the issue after trying these suggestions and we'll see what else we can do to rectify it.

Patrick A - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your quick reply.  Since receiving it, I paid attention to what is going on when it occurs.  I don't often use it for calls outside my home office, so it is usually on the femto-cell but yesterday I was out when some calls came in. I had plenty of signal on the cellular network when it occurred, so I don't think the femto-cell is to blame.  Also, during a painfully garbled call today I switched it to a cheap 3.5mm plug-in headset and the audio quality was stellar. 

So I believe it is the Bluetooth link.  I don't know if it is the phone or the headset to blame.  I tried to shut down as much as I could on the phone, but Android makes it difficult to see what I can and cannot shut down.  I really don't use any apps outside of e-mail and browser...I don't have any social media accounts consuming resources in the background and I shut down all open browser windows.

I have noticed some skipping or drop-outs when listening to podcasts from my laptop or my phone.  It doesn't happen all the time and some times it is worse than others. 

I have the latest firmware

Any thoughts? 

thanks for your help

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Sonoman, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. It would definitely appear to be the Bluetooth connection between the Headphones and your device. May I ask, have you tested the headphone on another phone to see if you encounter the same issue at all?

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 3, 2019

I have not tried that.  How many devices can I pair with the headset?  Do I need to delete my laptop and/or phone to pair another device? I just tried to connect it to an old Blackberry (BB10 OS) but it would not pair. I don't know if it is due to the Blackberry or becuse I am limited to two devices

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Sonoman, 

Thanks for trying this.

You should be able to pair up to 8 devices through the Bose Connect App, but be connected to one at a time. As long as the headphones are not connected to a device currently, they should be able to connect to your blackberry via Bluetooth.

What i would suggest first of all is to perform a reset to the headphones, and then try pairing to the Blackberry. To reset the headphones, please follow this link - Reset. If after this your headphones still do not connect, one other thing to try is to clear the Bluetooth list on the headphones. To do this, please follow this link - Clear list. once you have done this, try connecting the headphones again. If then this fails, I would then suggest contacting your local Customer Support Team for further assistance. 

If you select this link - Contact Us you can select your region. Scroll to the bottom and select contact us which will provide you with their contact number.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support