Bfearr
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2018

Pairing to Windows 7

Can someone help me with pairing Quietcomfort 35's to Windows 7? If I could just get it to show as a device to connect to, I can probably figure out the rest. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
zm4r
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 8, 2018

Re: Pairing to Windows 7

Provided as info.
Q: I’m trying to connect to my device, but I can’t see it. It doesn’t show up for pairing. What do I do?
FAQ
https://plugable.com/products/usb-bt4le/

Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Have you seen this article from Microsoft regarding pairing Bluetooth devices?

Connect a Bluetooth device

We also have this post that might have some useful information.

Computer Related Informational Post

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

I have two windows 7/64 systems with bluetooth and have been having on and off problems with both - and not just with QC 35 but also with soundsports, soundlink II and revolves.  In the case of my Dell laptop which has a bultin Intel Bluetooth chipset, I had to first remove two interfering Microsoft updates (per the Intel website description) and then update the drivers.  That gets the Bose devices to work, but occasionally, I lose the services and can only see the bluetooth device properties (which of course prevents me from playing to the devices even if they are recognized).  When that happens, I have to remove all the bluetooth drivers/software and then reinstall and re-pair from scratch.

On my Dell desktop - it did not come with any bluetooth so I need to try a couple of different USB bluetooth 'dongles' until I found one that worked - the SMK Link Nano Dongle (got it at Fry's).  But even this product occasionally stops working and I have to completely uninstall and reinstall from scratch.

In both the above, when it does not work, the device gets paired but stay's offline because I can't get the audio service listed to connect it (without removing everything and reinstalling).

BTW - Bose says not its problem and so does Microsoft.  Luckily, I have a contract for that equipment with Dell (at least for the laptop) and they try to help.  But as you know, Dell will not currently support equipment you did not buy from them.

Bfearr
Participant
Registered since

Nov 18, 2018

I ended up finding out how to do it on my own. I went to START. Then, I typed in SERVICES.MSC or, just SERVICES. It brings up a menu. Double-click on Bluetooth Support. It brings up a menu. Change the startup type from manual to automatic. Click OK. Double-click on Bluetooth again to go back into it. Click the THIS ACCOUNT button and remove the passwords. Click APPLY. It will then go to the LOCAL button, which is okay. Just make sure there are no passwords shown. Click okay. You are now back at the list of services. Under Bluetooth Support Service, click RESTART the service. Now, reboot and as long as you are discoverable, you'll see the bluetooth icon on the status bar and you can go from there pretty simply by adding your device. I used a dongle.
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Bfearr,

Thanks for the post! I am sure it will help a lot of users.

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

joelirwin
Expert
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Please be aware that the name of the service (in Windows 7) and the way bluetooth is implemented will be dependent on what type of bluetooth hardware is being used.

For example, on my Dell laptop - there are four Bluetooth services starting with the word Bluetooth and they all are set to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".  Delayed Start should work as well as "Automatic".  My laptop uses an integrated Bluetooth Intel chipset and works with Bose only if the most up to date drivers are installed and two of the Microsoft KnowledgeBase updates (which interfere) are removed (per the Intel web site documentation).

On my Dell desktop, there is no integrated Bluetooth chipset, so I purchased an SMK Nano Dongle which is a USB device.  It works with a Bluetooth implementation by CSR and so all of the four of the Bluetooth services start with the word "CSR" and are run as "Automatic".