Highlighted
cchrisgates
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2019

Playback stops when listening to music on one device and another connected device get a notification

While listening to music from my phone and an email comes in on my computer, music playback stops and the notification sound is heard, but then I have to wait several moments and restart music. Is there a way to make one have precedence so that music on the primary is not interupted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Playback stops when listening to music on one device and another connected device get a notif...

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hello @cchrisgates

What you have described is not an issue of the headphones. It is functioning exactly how it is supposed to function, as you have two devices connected. If a notification comes through it overrides audio playback as notifications are seen as high priority, especially if it were a call for example. 

What you need to assess is whether it is necessary that you are connecting to both devices at the same time if the notifications are interfering with your experience. There are settings within Windows 10 that allow you to modify audio routing settings  

Now, understandably, having notifications coming in every few seconds can be distracting, so what I would recommend doing is to manage your audio routing settings on Windows. 

For instance, I am currently listening to music on my iPhone, but I am connected to my Windows 10 Laptop. All audio routings are set to default to the laptop's built-in speakers, this includes the notifications from all non-essential services, other than Skype, which helps me keep in touch with other members of my team. 

screenshot audio routing1.JPG

To get to this screen, click the windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen, then click Settings > System > Sounds > scroll down to Advanced Sound Options > App Volume Device Preferences.

Further to this, individual apps tend to have settings to allow you to disable audio notifications. I'd recommend checking these out also.

Kind regards,

Jeff G

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Playback stops when listening to music on one device and another connected device get a notif...

Hi Cchrisgates, 

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the community! 

Can you confirm which device you are using and which headphones you are referring to?

Once I have this information I will be able to assist you further.

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support 

cchrisgates
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2019

Wireless over the ear quiet comfort noise cancelling II

Hi Cchrisgates, 

Thanks for updating us! 

Can you please also tell us which mobile device you are using as well as the computer? 

Thanks, 

Hector B 

cchrisgates
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2019

Note 8 running Android Pie and an HP Elite x2 1012 G3 (Tablet/Laptop) running on windows 10

Hi Cchrisgates, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. 

Have you attempted to connect the headphones to a different device to see if this issue persists? I tested this here with an iPhone and iPad and the issue didn't occur. 

I look forward to your response. 

Hector B 

JoshOC
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2019

Can confirm this happens with Note 8 and S10+ and multiple Wimdows 10 computers. For me a lot of the time the audio won't return to the phone at all until I disconnect from the PC. It's quite annoying that the BoseConnect app automatically reconnects to the PC when I disconnect from within the app, becasue of this I have to completely unpair my headphones and the PCs and then repair them next time I want to use them. This shouldn't be a problem to begin with, but also if I actively disconnect a device in the Bose app it should not auto reconnect in that session.

cchrisgates
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2019

Honestly, I'm not sure what testing this against another device would achieve as that is not the configuration I use 95% of the time. I understand you're trying to say that it is the playback devices that are causing the issue and therefore out of the resposibility of Bose. But I should think that it is the resposibility of Bose to ensure that they function correctly for all configurations. Whether that means suggestions on how to avoid (turn off notification, which I sometimes do, but would rather not) or adding functionality to the headphones that accommodate for the deficiency.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@cchrisgatesI do not work for Bose and my environment is somewhat different from yours as I have an iPhone 7+.  Here is my person take/observation - the QC35ii can sometimes be a sending device but more often it is a receiving device.  So if you hit one of the buttons on the right ear cup to change the volume, pause, etc. you expect certain behaviors to occur.  However, in other situations, it is purely a sound receiving device - it gets the same music/sound that would otherwise be directed to an internal speaker on the phone.

So I may have missed something here - are you saying that (a) you sound/music output behaves/gets directed differently when the QC35ii is receiving it (versus say when it is playing to an internal speaker on the phone)?  If so, that could be either a Bluetooth communication issue in general or specific to the QC35ii (if you get different behavior from a non-Bose BT receiver).  If that is what you are saying, then we need to make sure Bose understands that what plays on other BT devices behaves differently.

However, if (b) the behavior you describe comes from the sending device - i.e., the phone decides when or when not to stop or resume the music, then the issue may not lie with Bose but in the sending vendor.  Now sure, we can ask Bose to 'help out' - but then it is a request for a 'functional enhancement' and that would require functionality be available in the Bluetooth communication standard to alllow the QC35i to do what you want.  If this is the case, however, it is likely Bose IMHO will say what the QC35ii does is 'expected behavior' and they'll listen to your request but realistically I doubt they will make any changes to the QC35ii firmware especially if it is for a specific phone or phone vendor.

Does this make sense to you?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Tegan_M

Hello @cchrisgates

What you have described is not an issue of the headphones. It is functioning exactly how it is supposed to function, as you have two devices connected. If a notification comes through it overrides audio playback as notifications are seen as high priority, especially if it were a call for example. 

What you need to assess is whether it is necessary that you are connecting to both devices at the same time if the notifications are interfering with your experience. There are settings within Windows 10 that allow you to modify audio routing settings  

Now, understandably, having notifications coming in every few seconds can be distracting, so what I would recommend doing is to manage your audio routing settings on Windows. 

For instance, I am currently listening to music on my iPhone, but I am connected to my Windows 10 Laptop. All audio routings are set to default to the laptop's built-in speakers, this includes the notifications from all non-essential services, other than Skype, which helps me keep in touch with other members of my team. 

screenshot audio routing1.JPG

To get to this screen, click the windows icon in the bottom left corner of the screen, then click Settings > System > Sounds > scroll down to Advanced Sound Options > App Volume Device Preferences.

Further to this, individual apps tend to have settings to allow you to disable audio notifications. I'd recommend checking these out also.

Kind regards,

Jeff G