Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

QC 15

Can a person get an OEM replacement headband anywhere? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: QC 15

Author Accepted Answer selected by toddkr

HI toddkr,

Thanks for posting. I would recommend contacting your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by toddkr

HI toddkr,

Thanks for posting. I would recommend contacting your local support team for assistance. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

Thank you! Yes that moved things right along. No more OEM replacement headbands for Quiet Comfort 15 headphones; must use 3rd party stuff. However, it seems there are OEM replacement earpads still available through Bose. 

Many thanks! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Forget customer service - try tech support. They told me headband pads require a repalcement in house - $135 or $250 depending on model. Sounds like you send them yours and they either do the replacement or send you a replacement headset - not exactly sure because I told them I cant afford that much more for something that already cost me $300. Actually $600 since my wife's QC2 are the same - our headband pads turned a gooey, sticky black tar that rubs off and makes a huge mess. Earpads the same. I do see 3rd party zip over covers for the head pad. but before I bought one, I recall alcohol worked on cleaning the same goo from a volume knob on another Bose product. So I tried soaking a cotton pad, wiped it over the black padding and sure enough it started to dissolve off - its a messy process but I got both head pads cleaned off and no more goo. The underlying fabric still feels soft and the inside foam seems to be unaffected. I just let them dry out over night and they seems fine. If you don't want to bother, then the zip over pads seem to be the most cost effective alternative.

For the earpads, I just bought some on ebay for $6 a set delivered - obviously a chinese supplier but at least they got a US shipping location in CA. Frankly they are working just as well as the orignials. I'm hard pressed to find any significant difference. I'd not be surprised of there is a giant earpad mfg plant in china making orginals for Bose, Beats, Sony, Shure, etc, etc and if any don't look exactly right, they go into the sell on ebay bin. I'm pretty disappointed in the Bose quality - sound is great, sound canceling works great, but is seems peripheral aspects just do not stand up to the test of time.

They call the padding "protein leather" that is a marketing term for plastic coated fabric that has a sort of leather look and feel. Real leather would actually hold up. I made leather treatment chemicals, they work and they last a long time and its rare to find premature failures - like car seats, steering wheel covers, etc - these can last for 20 yrs or more with only moderate care. I still have a pair of leather driving gloves that are about 40 yrs old. Anyway, if you see protein leather, know it is rerally just a plastic coating on a fabric base material, often a polyurethane foam coating - its used to make some of the soft touch coatings on plastic knobs and handles as well.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi TWM53,

Thanks for posting. As we cannot recommend third party ear cushions, it does sound like you were able to remedy your issue. We do recommend if you are having issues with your headphones to contact your local Bose support team. Here is a link you can use. Click on your region, scroll down until you see "Contact Us."

Regards,

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and very informative answer! I went ahead and did my earpads like you did, and ended up putting a zip-over headband which actually doesn't look tooIMG_0479.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0481.JPG shabby and is quite comfortable. I feel you re: peripheral issues. 

-Take care

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

@toddkr wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth and very informative answer! I went ahead and did my earpads like you did, and ended up putting a zip-over headband which actually doesn't look tooIMG_0479.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0481.JPG shabby and is quite comfortable. I feel you re: peripheral issues. 

-Take care

Thanks for posting - That does look good - looks like the version where you cut off the old pad then zip on the new pad with the new clips. If our fabric starts to wear through, I'll get those for a better fix. This is my pad after cleaning with alcohol - took a pretty good wetting with the alcohol and then several wipes to where a cotton pad looked clean - so it is far more tedious than the replacement. The bottom is the old earpad - head pad looked just as bad - it looks flakey but is really gooey - the black sort of rubs off on your fingers or anything it touches. I figured out the alcohol when I was trying to clean my fingers and soap and water did no good. Anyway, at least we managed to resurrect our expensive headsets for reasonable cost and reasonable effort. But in the overall scheme of things - these are repairs none of us should have to deal with in the first place if Bose had done a better job of selecting materials. And as for these mod's constantly telling us to contact customer support, well that is just a waste of time and effort. Hopefully our posts will help others like us.
Fabric pad after cleaning black gooFabric pad after cleaning black gooclean head pad, new earpadsclean head pad, new earpadsoriginal earpad - sticky black messoriginal earpad - sticky black mess

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 28, 2018

Very nice! That worked out very well for you. Yes, that's exactly what I used and let me tell you it was no small feat holding the material together at the end of the new headband to keep it scrunched and then holding the 2 pieces of the bracket together and tightening the tiny screws......I'm not going down without a fight keeping my headphones in use, they still sound great! Plus the cost thing. You bring all good points up. 

Best wishes. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

I saw the instructions and had a feeling that bit with the end clip might be a challenge. But it looks great. I’m an engineer and the same way - if there’s any possible way to fix something, I go for it, especially expensive items that are basically in good working condition.