Highlighted
emisar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

My QC35-I headphones keep switching on by themselves, meaning that the battery drains without even using them. I've updated the software but no change. I've had these for just over 2 years so they're out of warranty, but have only used approx once a month since I got them on long journeys, so this feels like a huge waste of money. Bose support kindly offered for me to purchase a new pair at the (discounted?) rate of £250. Thanks but no thanks! Clearly this is a known fault given the numerous posts on the subject (check google) and I certainly wouldn't have purchased these headphones if I had known - for nearly £300 you'd expect them to last for more than 30 uses. Is really the best that Bose can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35-I is Turning On By Itself

Author Accepted Answer selected by emisar

@emisarBased on the experiences of other people here an my own conversations with Bose, the bottom line is the word has not 'got out' to every support person worldwide.  So most effective way to get a free exchange is to keep calling back and if you can not get someone who knows the problem and understands the next for a free exchange even out of warantee - escalate to a supervisor.  You may even have to talk to multiple supervisors.  And if that does not get you relief, talk to a support supervisor in Framingham, Mass  (Bose HQ).  The bottom line for this is 'persistence'.

7 REPLIES 7

Dear Emisar, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your headphones! I will do all I can to assist you! 

I would recommend sending us a private message with your serial number so I can assist you further!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jessie - Community Support

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@emisarI hope you get relief through the private message.  You are part of a very large group of QC35i users with the same behavior.  The customers here over the last year or so have definitively tested and determined the cause are the contacts that have shifted in the on/off switch.  There are two basic solutions: if you are a FIYer, there are instructions with pictures here on how to fix (in the very long post) or you can exchange with Bose (even out of warantee),  The exchange should be free.  Apparantly work has not got out to all the Bose support regions what should be done.  Do NOT accept and exchange for any cost.  If the PM here doesn't provide you relief, those who have gone before you just keep on call and escalating until someone gives them the free exchange.  There is not other workaround (other than keeping it charging all the time when not in use).

emisar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Thanks @joelirwin. I had already sent a message before posting on here but will send another with the serial number and will keep calling until I speak to someone who acknowledges that there is an issue (it's crazy that it's this prevalent and yet when you call they claim to have never heard of it before). I'm also writing to the Guardian consumer champion - maybe if others see this they will write too. There's no way I'm going to pay for an exchange and fear that I'll just break the headphones if I try to fix them myself.

emisar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

@Jessie_O  @Brandon_C I sent a private message with my serial number and then got a message from Brandon_C asking me to call Bose using the number on the Contact Me page. This is where I started - it resulted in me speaking to someone who claimed to have never heard of this issue and who tried to sell me a new pair of headphones. I logged a complaint at that time but have heard nothing. I want to speak to someone who acknowledges this known issue with your product, not a call centre. Please can you let me know what the next steps are in terms of progressing my complaint as I refuse to leave this here. For 30 uses these headphones have cost me nearly £10 for each time I've used them. This is not acceptable.

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by emisar

@emisarBased on the experiences of other people here an my own conversations with Bose, the bottom line is the word has not 'got out' to every support person worldwide.  So most effective way to get a free exchange is to keep calling back and if you can not get someone who knows the problem and understands the next for a free exchange even out of warantee - escalate to a supervisor.  You may even have to talk to multiple supervisors.  And if that does not get you relief, talk to a support supervisor in Framingham, Mass  (Bose HQ).  The bottom line for this is 'persistence'.

emisar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Success! It only took one more call and I didn't even speak to a supervisor - the person I spoke to said she'd check if an exception could be made and then confirmed that it could - my new headphones (series II) arrived today. Thanks @joelirwin for your help, and to anyone else in the same situation, keep trying! My headphones were 6 months out of warranty and I got a free exchange so don't give up.                     

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

You are welcome.  My job finally caught up with me after almost two months off - I am a wedding videographer.  So now I have to shoot three weeks in a row and five weddings in 7 weeks.  So I will not be on as often as Jan - Mar.