Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: QC 35 II Stuttering - Dual device feature is severely crippled

Hi there alex_t,

Thanks for getting back to me and for trying that!  Based off of what you've described I'm thinking that your best course of action at this time is to reach out to customer support, you can use this link.  Just select your country and scroll down to where you see "contact us".  Support will be able to help you from there.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

Take care and enjoy your day,

Shiloh - Community Support 

IcyMidnight
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 20, 2018

After completing steps 1-4, it took 45 seconds for the stuttering to start. After doing the unnumbered reset steps it took 3 minutes to start stuttering.

To be clear: if I go into the "Connections" screen of Bose Connect and disconnect the device that isn't producing audio then the stuttering is completely gone.

ajm-b
Participant
Registered since

Apr 10, 2018

I had the same stuttering issue with my Macbook Pro and OnePlus 5T. However, I noticed that when I opened the Bose app on my phone the stuttering stopped. Not sure if that was pure coincidence?!

JennyG
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2018

The issue you have is that the phone keeps on hijacking the audio back to it while the mac is playing. For some reason even when it doesn't need to play sounds it requests to be the one to play to the headphones and what you are hearing is not actually a stutter but an annoying switching between what device plays to the headphones. Your mac plays actual sounds and your phone plays silence and the result is a stutter. Our phones are the source of the issue.

The immidiate solution is to disconnect your phone from the headphones or switch it's audio output to speeker.
Sometimes it helps to just slide the power button all the way to the BT pairing mode and let go

Technically It can happen the other way around but i've never had that happen.

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Hello.

I have contacted the customer support and they asked me to perform some tests. I did and in particular I did the same test with all the firmwares available from the oldest to 2.5.1. The stuttering remains.

Right now I'm listening music with my QC35 II from my PC and I wanted to see if the issue remained with the Bose connect app running on my smartphone (screen saver at OFF). Result => no stuttering anymore.

To sum-up:

QC35 II connected to smartphone + PC and Bose connect app not running => stuttering

QC35 II connected to smartphone + PC and Bose connect app running => no issue

QC35 II connected either to smartphone only (player from phone), either PC only (player from PC) (but not connected to both at the same time) and no matter if Bose connet app is running or not => no issue.

I did this test during 1 hour, I will try to confirm with longer test this weekend

Note: smartphone is with Android 5.x and not compatible with Google assistant. PC is windows 10 pro 64b

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Hello,

Unfortunatelly after several tests over a long period (2h) the issue is there as soon as smartphone and PC are connected at the same time to the QC35 II. I have tested all of the possible combinations

I believe JennyG's explanation just above is the good one.

EDIT:

It is clear that the issue starts as soon as something related to bluetooth happens on the smartphone. For example : when my smart watch synchronizes with its app on the smartphone, the issue appears.

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Dear all,

I did more tests and my conclusion is that the issue definitively appears as soon as the smartphone tried to do something with bluetooth. I don't know what it brought QC35 II confusing but this is my finding.

I have used workarounds below :

1) turn off bluetooth on smartphone => issue definitively solved, or

2) keep bluetooth at ON for smartphone and when issue appears, do a on/off cycle with bluetooth on smartphone, or

3) keep bluetooth at ON for smartphone and when issue appears, deactivate SUPPORT MEDIA AUDIO on the bluetooth profil used by smartphone then reactivate it.

By doing 2) and 3) the issue never appeared again till I powered OFF/ON the QC35 II. Also I was able to handle an incoming phone call without any issue. After the phone call, litening music remained fine.

By the way, the sound quality of QC35 II is really amazing.

Alexandre

IcyMidnight
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 20, 2018

Bose support replaced my headphones, but the new set displays the same stuttering issue as the old set. Seems likely it's a fundamental flaw in the hardware or firmware of the headphones to me.

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

@IcyMidnight

Thank you for your feedback. I believe the customer support I have also contacted will propose me the same thing as for you but I don't want to change my QC35 II because I'm pretty sure my device is fine from HW point of view.