Highlighted
TheJester
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

QC 35 II Won't Connect to Windows 10

Hi, so I've been trying to get these headphones to work via Bluetooth with my computer running windows 10.  I've got the bose connect app on my phone and the headphones are updated with the most recent update.  I will use the app to try and connect to a new device.  I have Bluetooth on my computer, it is enabled.  I'll open the Bluetooth setting on my computer, click add Bluetooth device, Bluetooth (since that's the audio option) then let my computer look for the headphones.  It will not find them.  To be clear, my computer can find other Bluetooth devices and pair them.  I've tried multiple times, restarting both devices, turning them both off and leaving them off for a while then trying again.  I've tried everything I've found on the internet but nothing will get these headphones to work on my computer.  Any help to get these up and running on my PC through Bluetooth would be very much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC 35 II Won't Connect to Windows 10

See the first half of my response to this from earlier today:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Headset-jack-works-on-Lenovo-thinkpad-but-not...

Exactly the issue I had on my Dell Precision which uses a combined Intel wifi/bluetooth card.  Luckily I had a disk image backup from June 30, 2018 that did not have the problem.  Some windows update or application installation or update changed a file or registry entry that caused the problem but I have no idea what.  You can try uninstalling things but that may not help.  I tried all five driver versions - didn't help.  So if you don't have a backup and aren't willing to do to a windows installation from scratch, you may not be able to get it to work like me.  In that case, you can try a SMK Nano Bluetooth dongle with CSR drivers.  Before I did the image restore, that worked for me.  I had to disable the bluetooth hardware in windows first.  SMK is about $15 on ebay.

TheJester
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

So to start with I have reinstalled windows from scratch and nothing.  I don't have a backup to a point that it worked because it never did.  I have multiple Bluetooth dongles around the house, right now I have a really nice Bluetooth card on the motherboard. Not to mention I shouldn't have to spend any money to make their product work as it should.  I appreciate the reply but I'm hoping somebody out there knows something we don't.

Hello TheJester, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your headphones. 

I can see from the previous posts that you have already tried some troubleshooting steps. 
I would recommend that you try clearing the pairing list on both the headphones and your computer. 

You can follow the quick and easy steps on our support page by clicking Here.

If this doesn't work or you have already tried this, please drop a message back and let me know, Then we can look a little deeper into the situation. 

Hope this helps, have a wonderful day! 

Kind regards 
Liam G - Community Support 

TheJester
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

I have tried this before, and I tried it again just to be 100% this hasn't fixed the issue.

Hi TheJester, 

I'm sorry this has not resolved the issue for you. May I ask, have you tested the headphones with other Bluetooth devices? (mobile devices). This would help identify if is an issue with the headphones or a Bluetooth compatibility issue with the Windows Bluetooth drivers.

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Leon_CThere are known defined issues with both windows 7 and windows 10 PCs.  I and many others have documented the various incompatibilities in posts here for at least 6 months that I have been very active.  In my case, I could not even get the devices discovered in add device as long as I was using the Intel BT hardware with any of its drivers (which has been the primary Dell BT hardware vendor).  However, I was able to find a BT dongle (SMK Nano) that had no problems at all.  Then upon's Dell recommendation, in my case they wanted me to do a complete Windows reinstall.  I chose instead to use a disk image backup from June 30, 2018 and that solved the problem.  So in my case, something changed either a file or a registry entry (more likely) either during a windows update or an installation or update of one of my applications.  I have no clue.  But what I suspect is that the problem will vary by the OS and BT vendor.

At least one post here in the last week suggested a change to a registry entry for Windows 10 that seemed to work.  In my case (Windows 7/64), that entry was not even there.  So that would beg the question as to whether a solution for windows 10 would work also for Windows 7 (which many of us business people still use).  Also the user here has done a complete reinstall of windows and for him, it did not help.

So we can each of us do troubleshooting onesy/twosy, or perhaps Bose engineers can look into this lack of communication between its devices and a sampling of windows machines to see if they can discover a pattern of that could be causing the problem.  This is particularly 'important' since as many have stated here, they have other BT devices that communicate fine with Windows when Bose devices do not (and when I had my problem NONE of my Bose devices were recognized - 2 Revolves, 1 soundsport wire, a Soundlink Mini II, and a QC35ii). 

Preferably as customers we would prefer to see some  firmware code changes to the various Bose devices that make them more compatible with BT communications coming from Windows and the various BT vendor implementations on the other end (which again, seems to be rather compliant with the Bose competitive devices).

However, if Bose can say make a recommendation for one or more registry key/value modifications (perhaps even in a .REG file), that would work for us as well.

Hello Joelirwin, 

Thank you for reaching out to the community, Sorry to hear that this issue has been happening for a while. 
I am currently looking into this issue and will escalate this with a ticket and will get information about any recommended registry keys or value modifications.

Thank you for your patience and please bare with me while I investigate this. 

Kind regards 
Liam G - Community Support

Hello Joelirwin, 

Just a quick update: 

I have heard back from our escalation team. They have recommended that since the Windows update is causing this issue, I would advise you to contact Windows/Microsoft about this as
they may have more information on registry issues or a fix for the update.

We do also advise to test your speakers with a different bluetooth device, E.G. a phone or tablet. If they manage to connect with the phone or tablet then it would most likely be the PC's Windows Update that has caused the issue and we would advise that you reach out to the manufacturer for assistance.

I hope this helps! 
If you do have any other questions or queries please feel free to contact us again. 

I hope you have a lovely day! 

All the best,

Liam G   

joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

@Liam_GThis is not an acceptable.  Here is why:

1. We do not know what the cause is.  It has has not been shown definitively that the cause is a Windows update.  And if it is, which one is it.  In my case, nothing got discovered, but when I started back at Jun 30, 2018 and have since applied every windows update, it now works.  So it is not obvious yet to me what exactly causes the issue.  In addition the cause may be the same in Windows 7 and Windows 10 or different.  Also it may be a setting changed by an application and not windows - we don't yet know.

2. Non-Bose BT devices have been shown here to work with Windows PCs in those same situations where Bose devices do not.

3. Some hardware manufacturers such as Intel (which is the BT supplier to Dell) don't work in part or in whole while others work perfectly fine.  But it is not one manufacturer in particular - Intel is but one.

We know that the issues here are specific to Windows machines and Windows-based tablets.  All my own devices that worked fine with my iphone 7+ failed to work at all on my Dell Windows 7 laptop.  I would strongly recommend you go back to the engineers and explain to them firstly the problem is lack of two way communication in BT between some windows machines and Bose equipment.  Non-Bose equipment do not have an issue in those same situations.  Neither Microsoft nor OEMs like Intel will be willing to address this issue (and I have personally already tried) since they claim it is specific only to Bose equipment and so they claim it's Bose's issue.

By not addressing this issue imho Bose is giving out a 'message' to customers that they support their equipment only for smart media and that other customers are essentially on their own for windows (and even for some Macbooks which also have reported issues here).  And remember its not just the QC35ii.  I experienced issues on a QC35ii, both my Revolves, a Soundsport wired, and a Soundlink Mini 2.