Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yyl000
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

QC 35 II (firmware 3.1.8) issues

Updated to 3.1.8 from 2.5.1 yesterday, using the Bose Updater app on my Macbook. Noticed a few things afterwards:

1. It lost connection with my iPhone. It looked connected, but music didn't play through to QC 35 II.
  2. When connected to my Macbook, QC 35 II is playing music in mono, not stereo. I compared it with my wired headphone connected to the same laptop. Listening to some music that shifts between the left and right channels (like "Grandmaster Jam Session" from Thor Ragnarok), that shifting effect is completely gone in QC 35 II, and the audio fidelity is lower too. Almost looks like my Mac is seeing QC 35 II as a hands-free device (like for phone conversation).
  3. The middle "action button" is not functional. I used to set it to change ANC level, but now it is not doing anything when I press it.
14 REPLIES 14
alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Re: QC 35 II (firmware 3.1.8) issues

Hello,

Since you have experienced many issues, I believe that probably something has been corrupted during your upgrade process, especially if you have used the blutooth method. I encountered many strange behaviour after upgrading my QCII35 through blutooth. Now I use only wired connection and the "bose updater" software (with a PC). I guess this software should exist for Macbook as well so I encourage you to test through "bose updater" software by downgrading to 2.5.1 and upgrading to 3.1.8 (or maybe by doing a new installation of 3.1.8 if the software allows it, I don't remember).

My QC35II is still with 2.5.1, I prefer to wait a while before to go with 3.1.8 (but I will)

Regards

yyl000
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

FYI, the firmware was installed through a USB cable, using the Bose Updater app on the Mac.

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Hello,

OK, it is good to know, thanks. Have you tried to reload the new firmware ?

yyl000
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

Yes, I flashed the firmware multiple times, each time to completion (when the screen said the update is complete). Still the same. There have to be some firmware bugs. The bluetooth stack has been altered, and become more buggy. Someone on Reddit reported similar problems: https://www.reddit.com/r/bose/comments/95qbmg/caution_qc35_ii_firmware_318_bricked_bluetooth/

alex_t
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Hello.

I have upgraded my QC35II and my issue remains: I cannot keep connected two devices (laptop PC + smartphone android) with my QC35II in blutooth. When both devices are connected then music is interupted, I need to keep only one connection.

I'm little bit disappointed.

See my posts here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC-35-II-Stuttering-Dual-device-feature-is-severely...

Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi @yyl000,

We wanted to check in on your headphones. Have you cleared the Bluetooth paired device list, removed the headphones from your iPhone/MacBook and re-paired your devices? It's unusual for the Action button not to respond anymore. Did you try re-assigning the button? 

Let us know when you can.

Thank you

Mohsin - Community Support

yyl000
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

Yes, I tried the following:

- cleared the pairing by holding the headphone button for 10 sec

- deleted the pairing on Mac and re-paired (and noticed the headphone was now mono-channel)

- deleted the two pairings on iPhone (but could not re-pair, so I couldn't re-assign the button either)

- uninstalled and re-installed the Bose app on iPhone, but made no difference

The only silver lining (and the reason I haven't called in for an exchange) is because the headphone at the current compromised state seemed to have very good accuracy with the Mac voice dictation, so I am using it for that purpose only. That's not a lot to say about a $350 Bose-branded device, though.

Zolka
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2018

Hi,

I have updated my headphone QC35 with firmware 3.1.8 and I have the following problem:

I can connect simultaneously to two devices but one of them has no sound. I connected my headphone first to my computer, then everything is fine. I connect my iPhone to my headphone, it is still everything is ok. I can hear the music from my laptop. Then I stop playing the music on my laptop and I start playing music on my iPhone. After some seconds I can hear the music from my iPhone. Then I stop playing music on my iPhone and start playing music again on my computer, but I cannot hear anything anymore although my headphone is connected to both of devices. That's definitely a bug.

The question is when a bugfix is coming?

I don't believe that I should send back my headphone, that would be nonsense, but I am curious what else I can do?

yyl000
Participant
Registered since

Aug 11, 2018

I discovered why music plays in mono on my Macbook. It is a known Mac issue. Fixing that also seems to fix the dual-connection problem: https://superuser.com/questions/12292/bluetooth-headphones-sound-terrible-on-mac-os-x

Following the instructions, if I set the Mac sound input to anything other than QC 35 II, the music will start playing in stereo (and the slight background white noise is gone). Incidentally, I also noticed music playback from both iPhone and Mac work correctly (while connected to both devices), and the output is both stereo. Yay!  😊

When setting sound input back to QC 35 II, then music from Mac is mono again and the white noise comes back. And iPhone can't play the music through anymore.

Conclusion, if your QC is connected to both iPhone and Mac, make sure the sound input on your Mac is NOT "QC 35 II".