BoseUserKelly
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

QC 35 Noise reduction only - looking for device?

Whenever I power the headphones on, even without pushing the switch to the blue-tooth position, I just keep hearing "Connecting to iphone". Surely I don't have to be connected to a device to use the noise cancellation feature only? Do I need to clear the device before being able to use this feature? Actually, the 3-position switch does not seem to have 3 solid positions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BoseUserKelly
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Re: QC 35 Noise reduction only - looking for device?

Author Accepted Answer selected by BoseUserKelly

I am a new user so perhaps did not explain it well enough-

The 3-position switch I was referring to is the power button on the right earpiece. As shown on the instructions, there are 3 positions, off, on, and bluetooth. I can indded turn on the iphone bluetooth and not have any sound coming from the iphone, and noise reduction does work. But that is a bluetooth connection that I should not need (for example when I am on an airplance and have my iphone turned off). The instructions simply say "Using noise reduction only: Noise reduction is activated when you power on the headphones." However, now that I have connected, via Bluetooth, once to my iphone, I always get the voice prompt repeating "Connecting to iphone". Ryan's second point below does give me a fix for that (turning off the voice prompts).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Socrates
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

1.  No, you do not need a connection to use noise cancellation but I am a bit confused about your concern.  If your iPhone is NOT putting out any sound, the whole issue is moot.  If it IS putting out sound, that is only because you directed it to do so and presumably you want to hear that sound.

2.  There is no 3-position switch; there are three separate switches, volume up, volume down, and device control.  The device control (center) switch does not protrude as much as the volume switches to prevent inadvertent operation.  Perhaps you can explain your difficulty a bit differently.

Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Hello BoseUserKelly, 

There are two solutions here and we are happy to explain both of them. 

1. You can turn off the Bluetooth on your iPhone when not using the phone with the headset. Keep in mind, the phone is constantly looking for a Bluetooth source when turned on, so turning off the Bluetooth when not in use will increase the battery life of the phone. 

2. You can disable the voice prompts on the headset through the Bose Connect app. Tap the Settings icon below the product image in the app to open the product's settings menu. Then, you can use the toggle next to "Voice Prompts" to turn prompts off. 

BoseUserKelly
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by BoseUserKelly

I am a new user so perhaps did not explain it well enough-

The 3-position switch I was referring to is the power button on the right earpiece. As shown on the instructions, there are 3 positions, off, on, and bluetooth. I can indded turn on the iphone bluetooth and not have any sound coming from the iphone, and noise reduction does work. But that is a bluetooth connection that I should not need (for example when I am on an airplance and have my iphone turned off). The instructions simply say "Using noise reduction only: Noise reduction is activated when you power on the headphones." However, now that I have connected, via Bluetooth, once to my iphone, I always get the voice prompt repeating "Connecting to iphone". Ryan's second point below does give me a fix for that (turning off the voice prompts).

View solution in original post

BoseUserKelly
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 26, 2016

And now I see that after a few more repetitions of "connecting to iphone", the voice prompt eventually says "Iphone not found, bluetooth off" and then goes silent. So if I had been a little more patient, I would not have had to ask the question in the first place. Smiley Happy