Highlighted
wesk
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 1, 2019

QC20 iPhone compatibility issues

I bought the QC20 about 11 months ago (late Jan 2018). The headphones come with the 1/8" phono style plug, and it's worked well for those applications. Recently got an iPhone 7, and want to use the QC20 with the new iphone for audio (Amazon listed this QC20 as being compatible with iphones, through the use of an adapter). Included in the original package was a phono to lightning adapter, so I plugged into that. Unfortunately, this isn't working.

What happens is that after playing audio through the QC20 for approximately 90 seconds, the iphone gives me a message "this accessory is not supported by this device", and the audio instead switches to play through the iphone's main speaker, and not the headphones. I've tried this with three different phono/lightning adapters, and two different iphones with the same results.

This product is unusable in this way. Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
joelirwin
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jun 15, 2018

Re: QC20 iPhone compatibility issues

I have an iPhone 7+ so I tried using the Apple adapter with some of my devices.  I first tried an older IE.  Played fine for the few minutes I tried.  Then I tried an older QC15 both with NC off and on.  Same thing no problem.  So I am thinking assuming you have the most up to date ios (12.1.2) and since you have tried multiple Apple adapters, you didn't say whether you tried a different cable that plugs into you QC20.  If you haven't, then you should to verify that it is the cable or to eliminate it.

I don't work for Bose but I have seen those messages from my iphone normally get them from third party charging/USB cables.  There is obviously something it does not like and there are only three devices/entities: (1) the adapter (which you have already tried others, (2) the cable to connect the adapter to the headphones, and (3) the headphones.  Since you have tried mutliple iphones, then either its (2) or (3).  Get a hold of Bose if you can eliminate (2) and ask to exchange the QC20 while it is still under warantee.

wesk
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 1, 2019

Thanks for the advice joelirwin.

Yes, I have the most up to date ios. 

I haven't tried a different cable that plugs into the QC20...I don't think there is one?  the QC20 appears to be one piece, from the earbuds all the way down to 1/8" phono plug; I don't see any way to swap out anything different here.

Finally, you recommend contacting BOSE.  How can I do that?  I went to the support page on their website, and it sent me here, to the community forums.  No clear way to contact them about this problem.

Thanks.

sundarnydia
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2018

@joelirwin wrote:

I have an iPhone 7+ so I tried using the Apple adapter with some of my devices.  I first tried an older IE.  Played fine for the few minutes I tried.  Then I tried an older QC15 both with NC off and on.  Same thing no problem.  So I am thinking assuming you have the most up to date ios (12.1.2) and since you have tried multiple Apple adapters, you didn't say whether you tried a different cable that plugs into you QC20.  If you haven't, then you should to verify that it is the cable or to eliminate it.

I don't work for Bose but I have seen those messages from my iphone normally get them from third party charging/USB cables.  There is obviously something it does not like and there are only three devices/entities: (1) the adapter (which you have already tried others, (2) the cable to connect the adapter to the headphones, and (3) the headphones.  Since you have tried mutliple iphones, then either its (2) or (3).  Get a hold of Bose if you can eliminate (2) and ask to exchange the QC20 while it is still under warantee.

Yes, in addition to the reasons mentioned above, accessories that are not certified by MFi may also result in accessory not being supported by the iPhone.
It's also worth a try to clean the charging port and use the DFU mode to recover your iPhone/iPad.