QC20 or QC30?

Animated Arbiter

QC20 or QC30?

Hello,

I have the QC35 and I'm satisfied. Now i would like to buy new NC headphones in-ear, to complement with the QC35. 

My intention is buy the QC20 because I read that NC it's better than QC30, and the price is more affordable. Despite that QC20 they are wired, I think that it's the best option to complement the QC35. 

Someone can say if the ANC it's better in the QC20 compared with QC30? 

Thanks. 

15 REPLIES
Friendly Fanatic

Re: QC20 or QC30?

After I return my QC35 I'm going to get the QC20, fwiw.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bonjovi079519,

You wrote: " Now I would like to buy new NC headphones in-ear, to complement with the QC35. "

When would you use the new NC headphones in-ear?

I have the flip-side of this conversation. I got my QC25 (wired) first, and my upgrade was QC30 (wireless) to try something different. I later got QC35. I never use the QC25 anymore. The wire is too much bother and when I need a wired solution, I use the QC35 with the wire. If I really need a wired microphone, I use the QC25 cable.

I'm not one to wander through life in public with headphones on, so the in-ear Q30 work well for me. I also enjoy being able to adjust the amount of outside sound that comes in.

Any useful insights in that for you?

ST

Strident Supporter

I have had both the QC20 and QC30 and prefer the 30 by quite a bit.

Advantages for the 30 (all just my opinion of course as this can be very subjective):
- wireless. Neckband can be a bit of a pain sometimes but not nearly as much as the wires and the box were on the 20
- sound quality. The 30 has better lows, and highs and a better sound stage
- slightly better noise canceling. Both excellent
- good battery for wireless of 10 hours

Advantages of the QC20:
- longer battery life of about 16-20 hours and you can use it when dead - if just doesn't sound great
- better mic for phone calls. It doesn't a much better job isolating your voice in a noisy environment and passing it to your caller without distortion. The QC30 has issues with this but I am hoping they are resolved via firmware
- The QC 20 can connect directly to an airplane headphone jack for listening to their entertainment system. I bought a $25 Bluetooth transmitter that fixes this for the QC30 bit it must be charged too and it is a bit of a hassle. Works well though.

All in all I would definitely recommend the QC30 over the QC20 unless calls in a noisy environment or very long flights are your primary use case.
Audible Advocate

I own in-ear QC20s and QC30s and over-ear QC35s.

QC35s clearly provide the best ANC. I'll give them a 10 to set a benchmark.

QC20s are not quite as good, but still excellent. I'll give them a 9.

The QC30s are noticeably worse. Like a lot worse. I'll give them a 6 and that's being generous.  I often have to check to see if ANC is actually on.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

Animated Arbiter

Tomorrow I will receive my new ANC in-ear headphones: the QC20.

Finally I decided for the QC20 because, after research many websites and reviews, i think that QC20 are better than QC30 in ANC. In sites like Amazon the QC20 have a rating around 4.5 stars, however the QC30 have a rating around 4 stars only. Even i read some reviews that the ANC of QC20 is a little better than QC35.

I even throught that, due my hypersensitivity to loud and sudden noises, I could combine the QC20 in-ear and the QC35 over-ear both, but only in very loud noise situations (for example during a thunderstorm). Because combine the two headphones in a more quieter environments can be dangerous.   

However, I don't have them yet, so tomorrow I will know how is the ANC compared with QC35.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bonjovi079519

You sound excited about your QC20. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I'm sorry to hear about your hypersensitivity to loud and sudden noises.

Please come back and tell us how the QC20 works for you. I'm particularly interested in your experience using both QC20 with QC35 at the same time.

Thank you,

ST

Animated Arbiter

Hello,

After some weeks with my new QC20 headphones, it's time to do a comparison with the QC35. 

First, I can say that QC20 is some better that QC35 in the ANC, it's not a big difference, but my feeling is that with QC20 i'm more isolated of the world than QC35. Noises are generally more distorted, and when you put music or white noise to a normal volume you are practically isolated of noises 100%. When I put the aware botton the noises are amplified, and when I put again the aware botton the noises they disappear as if it were magic, for this reason I think that the QC20 isolate more.

So after this experience, it surprises me that QC20 is not able to cancel noises like guns or fireworks. I'm sure that if you put music or white noise can help to reduce that sudden noises. About the thunder, i think it should cancell better than fireworks or guns because thunder it's a more constant noise than the two previously mentioned. 

I tested to put the QC35 above the QC20 without putting on the ANC (only in the QC20) and the sensation is that there is a little more isolation, and when I put on the ANC of QC35 i don't notice many changes, but the feeling is that there's more noise reduction. 

This night I try to sleep in bed with the QC20 with some white noise of my Samsung app. I try to sleep in "soldier" position, unfortunately I haven't felt comfortable in any moment, maybe because the cables. So I decided take off the headphones for the rest of night. Previously I have slept too with the QC35 and, despite that it's imposible move position in bed (only i can sleep in "soldier" position), i think that it's more comfortable because it's wireless. 

In terms of ANC, i prefer the QC20 because it's a little better than QC35 and you can press the aware button when someone speaks to you, but it's more delicated than QC35 because it's wired. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bonjovi079519

Thank you for coming back to tell us your impressions. I appreciate that took the time.

I don't think that Acoustic Noise Cancellation technology is fast enough to catch gunfire or fireworks. Thinking about the sound of thunder, do you think it's constant (enough) to be handled by noise cancellation?

ST

Animated Arbiter

Hello @ST

I think that the problem of thunder is that i'ts a varied sound  depending of the distance. 

Yeah, im brantophobic. If the thunder it's not very close (more than 5km) i think that NC headphones can do a good job. My fear is if the thunder it's less than 5km and a few meters form my position because it can be heard like a huge explosion (bomb), so the thunder can be a repentine noise, and consecuently, maybe the NC headphones they aren't fast enough to cancel that horrible noise for me. However, i trust that QC35 (with passive isolation) and even QC20 can help to reduce the noise, specially with music put on.  

Most of last years, when there's a thunderstorm I always wear headphones with music to max volume and i don't hear any thunder but i've never noticed if the thunder was closed or not. Only i can feel some vibrations, but i don't hear any thunder. Yeah, it's not healthly hear music with max volume but at least helps me to don't hear the boom of loud thunder. And when there is not storm, i try to listen music in moderate volumen. 

One time when i was a kid, I had a hearing protection headphones used in construction works basically (no music) and I remember to hear some of most loudest thunder boom and fireworks, although maybe they weren't the best passive noise reduction earplugs. 

So my finally impression is that with the loudest music in headphones (both noise cancelling and not noise cancelling) you can block the loudest sudden noises, or rather said, mask them. 

Im sure that someday Bose will produce a Noise Cancelling Headphones with hearing protection to don't put the music in the max vol with sudden loud noises, it would be revolutionary!

In the meantime, thanks Bose for this amazing technology.