Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ave1024
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

Re: QC30 for Communication

Ridiculous.  What are people here doing?  Waiting for a gen2 to come out and demand replacement to gen2?  Dealing with it?  Amazing how this product can be so flawed with no response from Bose.  I have a set of qc20 which I have to use whenever i need to make a phone call.  The qc30 are useless for phone calls.

Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@ave1024 I can't argue with you there, they are indeed worse than useless for calls. I've given up hope and resigned to using my QC30s only for media playback. I use a Plantronics Voyager 3200 for calls now (had a Voyager Edge originally but it went through a full washing machine cycle and was a bit wonky).

The secret is to set the Bluetooth settings on the phone so that your Bose are only enabled for media playback and your talking headset is only enabled for phone and forever contact sharing. Then you can easily have both paired simultaneously as needed.
*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @ave1024

Thank you for joining the Bose Community.

"Do the Bose Hearphones suffer the same **** communication performance that the qc30 have? "

If you're unhappy with your QC30, please contact Bose Support to discuss your options.(see below*)

"I'd upgrade to the hearphones if it meant i can take crystal clear phone calls."

If you are looking for a headset specifically designed for communications in noisy environments, then a dedicated communications device is probably a better choice.

"Or do they work fine in noisy environments? "

Let me give you some background.

Personally, I own both Bose QC30 and Bose Hearphones. I use them both for listening to audio via Bluetooth. I use my Bose Hearphones when I am out in the world talking to people and listening to live music in noisy environments.

Bose Hearphones are conversation-enhancing headphones. Bose engineered Hearphones to enhance conversations in "live" environments. I emphasize "live" to distinguish this from conversations with people in a different location (e.g. on the phone).

Bose Hearphones look similar to Bose QC30, but the hardware and software are different. There's also a different app (the Bose Hear app) to control features unique to Bose Hearphones. The experience using them for calls is different too.

If you are looking for a headset specifically designed for communications in noisy environments, then a dedicated communications device is probably a better choice.

If you are looking to significantly change what you hear and how you interact with people in noisy environments, Bose Hearphones can do that for you. 

The best way to know if Bose Hearphones will work for you, is to try them. 

Sincerely,

ST

* Bose Support

Please follow this link to Bose product support for your area.

• Click on your country, then
  • Scroll down to the link: "contact us".
  • Follow the link and send an email or call.

ST

ave1024
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

ST:

Your responses are flawed.  

"If you're unhappy with your QC30, please contact Bose Support to discuss your options.(see below*)"   

I will detail my "support experience" at the end of this post.

"If you are looking for a headset specifically designed for communications in noisy environments, then a dedicated communications device is probably a better choice."

How about Bose makes a product that WORKS for communications.  Like the qc20.  You guys came out with a flawed product that falsely advertises the ability to use it as a communication device.  Unless I am in a soundproof isolated room, nobody can hear me.  Dumb.  

"The best way to know if Bose Hearphones will work for you, is to try them. "

Somebody above posted that the Hearphones have the same issue as the qc30, so this is a moot point.

I called support.  They gave me these options:

- Replace with another qc30.  This will be useless and futile.  I already had them replaced once and i have a case number.  She did offer to replace them again though.  Maybe i'll just keep having you guys replace mine every month until you come out with a new product?

- Upgrade to a qc35 at additional cost.  The fact that you would charge me anything additional for me to get a WORKING product is a joke.  But I bought qc30s because I wanted earbuds, not cans.  qc35s are not an option.  

- Refund if bought at a Bose Store.  I didn't buy these at a Bose store.  Bought them at Best Buy.  I am not within my return period with them and I already went through the exchange process with you guys once because you guys claimed I had defective hardware.  Not really accurate because while the headsets are defective, they are defective by design.  Not because my individual piece was defective.

- Get the soundsports, however I would have to pay for them out of pocket because they are "new".  Again another joke by Bose, asking me to pay for anything to fix a flawed product.  But sound sports are also out for me because they don't have noise cancellation.  Not to mention they are $50-100 cheaper.

- Replace with qc20s.  Again real dumb to even suggest, qc20s are not wireless, why am I taking a step backwards?  I already own the qc20s anyways which I am forced to use if I know in advance i need to make a phone call.

- Wait for a firmware update that supposedly will fix the issue.  Doubt this will happen, seems to be widely known that this is a design issue and not software.  

- "not be in a loud environment when using the phone"... this was my favorite one the rep suggested.  Ok let me tell all my clients and people who need to call me to not call unless I am in my sound isolated room every day between the hours of 7pm and 8pm so i can use my qc30s without issue.  Really Bose?

To hide behind "get a dedicated communication device", is really a joke when you think about it.  This is 2018.  What is considered a "dedicated" communication device when it comes to phones these days?  Every phone headset is going to have the ability to play audio.  When you spend $300+ on a set, you expect it to work.  I have the qc20s, do you consider these a "dedicated communication device?"  If the answer is yes, then you have the ability to make a product that works... you just failed in doing this with the qc30.  If the answer is no, then again what is a "dedicated" communication device?  If the qc20 isn't a dedicated communication device, why do i have no problems with those?

After going back and forth with the rep on the phone for 20 minutes, she hung up on me.  I could barely understand her english too.  Have to say I am real annoyed at this and even more annoyed knowing this is a known problem with qc30 and not just mine.  Bose should be working to IMMEDIATELY replace these qc30s with a new generation that has a working mic for all owners, for no charge to upgrade.

zakwfb
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 7, 2017

Thanks for the great response @ave1024, couldn't agree more. 

Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@ave1024 yeah that reply from support is awful. And please don't spend on QC35 or Soundsport Wireless, as they both have the same mic issue. Brutal they suggested that.
*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @ave1024

I just sent you a private message so we can get some more details about that call offline

Please look for the private message (see the envelope indicator at the top right of the screen).

Thanks,

ST

ave1024
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

@Mutnat wrote:
@ave1024 yeah that reply from support is awful. And please don't spend on QC35 or Soundsport Wireless, as they both have the same mic issue. Brutal they suggested that.

That's good to know.  So as it stands, Bose doesn't have a single WIRELESS product that doesn't have a phone mic issue?  How can other manufacturers come out with $100 products and have working mics but Bose can't figure this one out?  Especially when they sit behind that mountain of money for R&D?  I can get apple airbuds for $170 that would do the job.  

ST - Hearphones
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi again @ave1024

"If you're unhappy with your QC30, please contact Bose Support to discuss your options.(see below*)"   I will detail my "support experience" at the end of this post.

That's not the experience we want for you, and I've followed up with a private message to you.

-----

"If you are looking for a headset specifically designed for communications in noisy environments, then a dedicated communications device is probably a better choice."

How about Bose makes a product that WORKS for communications.  Like the qc20.  You guys came out with a flawed product that falsely advertises the ability to use it as a communication device.  Unless I am in a soundproof isolated room, nobody can hear me.  Dumb.  

-----

You're right - I should specified Bluetooth communications devices.

There are several suggestions from other people (e.g. @Mutnat) about dedicated Bluetooth communications devices.

----

Somebody above posted that the Hearphones have the same issue as the qc30, so this is a moot point.

This is experiential - that is, the only way to know for sure is to try them personally.

I have both Bose QC30 and Bose Hearphones: The experience is different. But the only way to know if Bose Hearphones will work for you, is to try them.

Sincerely,

ST

ave1024
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2018

@ST - Hearphones wrote:

Hi again @ave1024

This is experiential - that is, the only way to know for sure is to try them personally.

I have both Bose QC30 and Bose Hearphones: The experience is different. But the only way to know if Bose Hearphones will work for you, is to try them.

Sincerely,

ST

Ok... if the mic issue on the earphones is experimental and i lose no functionality (outside of the color of the earbud itself), send me a pair of hearphones in exchange for my qc30s and i will try them out and report back.  You have my info now through PMs.  

Although I am skeptical since other people on this forum are saying hearphones have the same issue.