Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: QC30 for Communication

Hi Narindo,

Thanks for writing. I appreciate your suggestions.

@You wrote:

I believe two issues can be made clearer for everyone

1) Those who want an immediate solution

2) Those that want to know if there was an update/fix/change (I guess these are the most vocal, but also loyal customers because they want to keep this model and get it fixed!)

Responses

1)  All of our moderators are watching for questions about far-end call quality issues and directing people with those questions to the announcement at the top of this discussion. I see that we can do better at this and we'll discuss that here.

2) If there is a change, we will announce it at the top of this discussion. The latest announcement was November 15th, 2018. There have been no further changes. As we've said in the announcement, people who are not satisfied with the performance of their QC30 should contact Bose Support (details below).

You have expressed concern for people "who like this product and want it fixed".  I share your concern. I got my QC30 before I joined this community. I still use them daily.  I use them primarily for their noise cancelling capability and for listening to media. I also use them for personal calls in quiet environments. 

You mentioned you just ordered your QC30. Thank you.

When they arrive, please update them to the latest version of the firmware at http://btu.bose.com. Then test them out in all the settings and use them in all the ways that are important to you. Please do this within the return period offered by the seller. If you are not satisfied, please send them back. We want you to be happy with your decision.

Sincerely,

ST

Bose Support

Please follow this link to Bose product support for your area.

• Click on your country, then
  • Scroll down to the link: "contact us".
  • Follow the link and send an email or call.

@Narindo wrote:

@ST

I have ordered the QC30 this weekend, before finding this thread. Throughout this thread, I can see the tone changing in QC30 owners (and consequently Bose’s reaction), especially those who have been buying this ‘new’ product early on. I symphatize with them for being so engaged and keep giving their feedback to this forum/thread, and I applaud Bose’s effort to keep responding to these requests ‘politely’ even though the option now is call the local Bose support (indeed, what else can you say if there is not apparent fix yet?). It is never easy to reply to unhappy customers! Kudos to any service department that keep responding (rather than ignoring or worse, becoming angry themselves!)

But I have a few suggestions that might lighten the blow for ‘new’ users and provide a bit of ‘up-to-date’ info to old users, which might improve the overall experience of a mal-functioning feature.

I believe two issues can be made clearer for everyone

1) Those who want an immediate solution

2) Those that want to know if there was an update/fix/change (I guess these are the most vocal, but also loyal customers because they want to keep this model and get it fixed!)

For 1) A sticky post with the info to those who experience Mic issues with QC30, please contact support (something like you have written), including the link to this thread for example or to the thread of point 2. This is because I see quite a few single posts of users that are asking for help with their mic (not knowing that this is an unsolved issue).

For 2) create a new ‘sticky’ post with the latest updates about QC30. This current post heading is from November 2017, which I would consider ‘old’ in terms of support, I wanted to know Anno 2018 (February) is this solved?  If you have made it sticky, everyone will know this is still the current statement. Unfortunately I had to read through all the pages to get an idea what is going on. Additionally, in this post, you could also post the ‘new’ (major?) firmwares or fixes that your team has created to tackle to issue and perhaps let us feedback whether that solved the issues for (some of) us. Or better, perhaps share a bit more info what the development team is doing in order to keep us (remember: those who like this product and want it fixed!) informed, so we FEEL you are responding to us (I guess a lot of replies here are often that they feel a bit left in the dark regarding this issue). Since it seems not ‘quickly’ sovleable, it would enhance the support/engagement experience.

Somehow you can combine these two sticky post, but didn’t know how without confusing those two groups. Perhaps you can close this thread as well, because it is a bit confusing and sometimes unpleasant what has been written.

Hope you are open for this feedback, and hope I don’t get as ‘annoyed’ with the mic issue as others will be! (I am part of group 2, I really want you to fix this, because it would be great to also be able to receive calls wirelessly!).

Best wishes,

N

edit: why can I never  re-read my post BEFORE posting?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 2, 2017

@ST

I am still a bit suprised that the QC30 are marketed like this by Bose. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/quietcontrol-30.html#v=qc30_black

Headline: "Wireless sound without compromises"

Text: "An inline remote lets you take/end calls, skip/pause tracks and control volume without reaching for your device."

This text makes it sound that you can seamless switch between music and phone calls. That it not the case with the QC30, especially not in noisy environments. If anyone objects, I'll call you from my QC30s and let you hear what I mean. 😉

Bose should remove that from their website. The German translation is even more misleading I'd say.

My "solution" so far is to ignore the microphone, turn the call feature off in the bluetooth settings of the phone and get adapted to using the mobile as usual again,

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

Dear @ST Just found this thread after many months of frustration.  

Like many others, I bought these wireless headphones for work and pleasure in the UK last July. 

I now have a great headphone but with no useful talk function, to allow me to have effective conference and business calls, even after the firmware update recently. 

Id like to know what is my recourse to have this problem sorted here in the UK?

thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Moods1,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

The latest update is at the top of this discussion

You wrote, "... what is my recourse to have this problem sorted here in the UK"

Please contact your local Bose Support team.

Please follow this link to

Bose product support for UK .

Send an email or call.

Sincerely, 

ST

@Moods1 wrote:

Dear @ST Just found this thread after many months of frustration.  

Like many others, I bought these wireless headphones for work and pleasure in the UK last July. 

I now have a great headphone but with no useful talk function, to allow me to have effective conference and business calls, even after the firmware update recently. 

Id like to know what is my recourse to have this problem sorted here in the UK?

thanks. 

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 21, 2017

RETURN IT and buy another brand. It’s hilarious. They asked for the headphones back several months ago and we hear no word!

It’s clear as daylight. Bose screwed up on the design and they CANNOT admit it.

It would be a huge warranty to them and it would seriously hurt their brand.

They don’t care. RETURN IT. Don’t waste your time calling Bose service.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 10, 2017

Hello,

Of course, I got the same problem with amplified noise transmitted via microphone like the others, but let's us look constructively.

After several tests I noticed that:

1) The only earcub of QC30 that has microphone used during the call is the one on the cable with joystick.

2) The difference with QC20 is that probably the microphone in QC20 is installed in the joystick, also it is located under the head. For sure separated from microphones used for ANC (on earcubs).

3) In QC30 there is a very sensible microphone used for calls - maybe even the same is being used for ANC (I don't know).

4) Every noisy environment = noisy environment. Each time there will be problem for the person who receives such sound, but NOT for the guy with QC30/microphone that transmites the signal.

5) I think that problem everyone of us face is amplified sound that might be linked with the fact that the same microphones or steering modules used for ANC are also used for calls. More we are isolated locally with ANC, more we are surprised other can't hear equally well. In psychology it is called: cognitive dissonance 🙂

My temporary solution (prothesis):

- Having a call in noisier environment I take off right earcub with microphone and put under pullover

- Where possible I mute my microphone (+/- at once)

- Normally I set ANC to zero during calls, when listener only (typically muted) - in such the case ANC is a good idea.

Optimal solution (question to Bose, hopefully will be answered):

- I understand no hardware upgrade would be possible, nor change of design

- Also I don't believe that software update would help - I can be wrong, hopefully 🙂

- I think ANC is not really required for the calls (it is very nice to have)

- During the calls only - make ANC off and reduce microphone sensibility to standard (stop heavy amplification as it is today)

- I would be happy tester of such beta firmware 🙂

Sorry for long speech 🙂

Best, LB

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

@llbx I also think there is a design error there. They just made the wrong decisions for the microphones/calls.

It seems indeed to me as well that they choose to use the mic that is also used for the ANC. So it seems that the mic picks up the environment sound + your voice, and then the ANC has to figure out the voice vs environment and sends that to the calling party. However, (I am assuming still....) the mics for the ANC needs to be omnidirectional, so it picks up all kinds of sound (noise), where as if you have the mic on the joystick/remote control/volume buttons, the mic could be a dedicated cardiod, which automatically prevents sound coming from afar to be picked up. 

So it seems to me a hardware issue with using the wrong mic (assuming it is shared with the ANC) and the wrong mic placement (having it on your ears, far away from your mouth, so picks up more sound). The Soundsport Wireless (not the Free one) and many others, have the mic on the remote control, which has proven to work.

Not sure how they ever have been able to test this design without noticing issues.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2018

It is a really big disappoitment or embarrassment to me since I had this earphone a couple of months ago. Colleagues thought I had a good and expensive earphone. But I still have to use a 1/100 cheap earphone for business calls which can serve my needs.. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

QC30 Microphone issue -

After seeing all the posts I at least don't feel alone!  Bose obviously made the QC30 for listening to music etc., adding a mic for bidirectional audio was an poorly executed after thought.  It is pretty useless for cell calling in anything but a silent room.  What I want is the option to TURN THE MIC OFF and just use the headset for listenening, for which it is well designed.  I want talk into the microphone on my cell phone and listen over the headset.  Anyone have any ideas how this can be accomplished?  There don't appear top be any controls of this kind on the Bose app, or anywhere I can find on my Android phone.......

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

Normally (and based on your device) you should have an option to edit the 'connected device settings'. For androids you can select it under the bluetooth menu and switch the 'phone audio' off. This should do it.