Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2018

Re: QC30 for Communication

Very dissapointing. I purchased the headset about 2 months ago after fantastic results with my Bose wired noise cancelling earbuds. I discover that using the set in noisy environments, the only way my counterparts in a conference can hear me is if I remove the right earbud, and hold the microphone very close to my lips. Clearly this is no solution, and I am going to have to resort to my wired set, or seek a different solution. Reading this thread it is apparent that Bose has either (a) not found a solution to the problem and its infixable, or (b) despite the placatory words they just havent bothered and just dont care. Either way, its the last Bose product I buy without subjecting it to real testing, just as I would any no-name brand. This is a pity because I have bought over a dozen Bose products over the last decade and never been dissapointed. The brand has become corrupt. I will try to return this piece of junk.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2018

I have just received my QC30s and tried to have my first skype call with them, I have this very same problem the person on the other end complained that my mic was picking up all the background noise.

so my question is simple, has this been or will this be fixed?

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

No
Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Newbie wrote:

I have just received my QC30s and tried to have my first skype call with them, I have this very same problem the person on the other end complained that my mic was picking up all the background noise.

so my question is simple, has this been or will this be fixed?

@Newbie your question is indeed pretty simple!  The answer, it would seem, is more complicated.  Bose's official answer is to contact your local Bose support for exchange. 

In my own experience, and that of many in the community, this does not seem to resolve the issue. Many of think it's a hardware design flaw that cannot be overcome via firmware, since Bose investigated this about a year ago and came back with the suggestion to just exchange any units people are not happy with.  They have not said anything about any hardware revisions, and to the best of my knowledge from following along in the community threads, newer build dates do not seem to resolve the issue.  You're welcome to try this route and exchange, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.  Frankly, I'm really surprised we haven't seen a new model (e.g. QC40 or something) to replace, with a completely different mic setup.  The QC30 are a bit long in the tooth now (on the market for a while) and could actually use a refresh.  

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

They won't update these with a new design. We would want that as a replacement. I think that is why we are still here. Bose knows that. There were cheaply made with a design flaw.
Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@gus gutz wrote:
They won't update these with a new design. We would want that as a replacement. I think that is why we are still here. Bose knows that. There were cheaply made with a design flaw.

I hope they do eventually.  And as much as I'd like to say I'd never buy another Bose product, I have to admit I'd probably pick up a new model if it came out.  I don't like most earphones at all because they are uncomfortable in my ear canal--and the ones that are looser and more comfortable usually sound awful due to sound leakage.  The first time I put on a pair of QC30's to try them out in the Bose store, I knew they were the best of both worlds--comfortable and sounded good with minimal outside noise.  I've effectively been spoiled by them and the thought of sticking regular earphones into my ear canals again is very unappealing.  I wish there were more alternatives but I'm guessing the "StayHear+" tips are patented up the wazoo.  Unfortunately they are the perfect design for me, with the notable exception of having to carry around a Plantronics Voyager 3200 bluetooth headset for phone calls.  

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 14, 2018

I recently had my QC30's replaced for a different defect.

The microphone problem was bad in my previous pair but seems even worse in the new one.

The first thing I did was update to the latest firmware.

I love everything else about my QC30's, but like everyone else, the microphone is virtually unusable. If someone three desks away starts typing, to the person on the other end of my call it sounds like a machine gun is being fired.

For their cost, the quality should be flawless for everything, or at the very least, it should be ACCEPTABLE.

It would be good to see some actual attempt at fixing the issue, it couldn't possibly be made worse.

How do we get on a list so help beta test possible fixes? If that's not possible I'll be sending them back and requesting a replacement product (not QC30 or 35).

Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@wallism wrote:

How do we get on a list so help beta test possible fixes? If that's not possible I'll be sending them back and requesting a replacement product (not QC30 or 35).

@wallism I don't believe Bose does this type of testing.  If they do, they do it quietly and privately.  If you're able to request a different replacement product, I'd suggest you do so since there is zero (visible) momentum on a fix for the past year or so.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

There is no fix. We were all beta testers. The test is over. You paid 300 bucks for a defective product. Bose will not say that there is a defective and they do not care if you like it or not. They will not respond to you. To admit there is a problem is to admit there is a defect and that won't happen.
Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

I'm curious--has anyone tried the Plantronics Voyager 6200 UC (review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qXK-VB9leI), Jabra Evolve 75e (review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMrVenVC6Cw) or Jabra Elite 65e (similar to 75e but without the UC cert and USB adapter which I don't actually need) as an alternative to the QC30?  I'm quite intruiged as both seem to offer similar comfort (in fact, the Plantronics model is compatible with the StayHear+ tips, so you can swap them out if desired) and functionality but FAR superior phone call performance. 

The Plantronics has 4 mics, located at the ends of the neck collar, and the Jabra has 3, with the main voice one in the in-line remote (where Bose SHOULD have put the QC30 mic--I'll never understand why they put it on the right earbud away from your mouth).  I'm really tempted to try one of these. 

Reviews on both seem to comment on weak noise reduction in the earbuds, far inferior to the QC20/30, which would be unfortunate, but maybe I could live with that for a good all-rounder that I don't need a separate headset for calls.  I'd love to know if the audio quality is anywhere near as good as the QC30's for music, and if the mics really do perform well in the real-world.  The test in the two videos I linked look promising, with the Jabra perhaps offering slightly better mic performance.

There's also this video comparing the two https://vimeo.com/261859513.

A critical comparison between two of the most interesting new headsets on the market from Plantronics and Evolve.
This are the best bluetooth headphone for business that are boomless. The plantronics voyager 6200 uc will work with your laptop / pc and phone at the same t...
Here is my review of the Jabra Evolve 75e UC. This in ear headphone supports connecting to your PC and Mac via a UC usb connector and supports skype, webex, ...