Mar 14, 2017

Re: QC30 for Communication

Wait a year? Some of us already have.
GatorTim
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 10, 2017

I am almost at a year with the problem.  I once again tried to use my QC 30 for a conference call today.  Horrible results.  No one could understand me unless I was shouting and if I typed even a short note on my keyboard people complained about the horse galloping through the room.  I had to switch over to the wired headphones that came with my iPhone and then everything sounded fine.  It is truly disappointing that a $5 headset is better for calls than a $300+ headset.  

Is there anyway thatI can get my money back so that I can go but the Apple AirPhones and end this torment?

Tim

djbisme
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

Well, add me to the list of unsatisfied users.  I just purchased these last week, and am using them this week on my first business trip.  I thought these would be able to replace both my QC20 wired headphones (which are great except for the cord), and my Jabra headset.  One simple thing around my neck to easily switch between music and phone calls.

Well, everyone I talked to on the phone either couldn't hear me or complained about all the background noise.  They said the background noise was louder than my voice.  It even picked up "wind" noise while just walking inside - which stopped when I stopped walking.  I thought I was missing some noise cancelling setting (they can't be this bad, I thought...they're a Bose product!), so I did a quick Google search.  All these results came back.  I wish I had read them before purchasing!

They are unusable for phone calls, as everyone else has stated.

For the record, these have a mfg date of May 16, 2017, and the firmware updated to 1.3.6.

luigichelli
Participant
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Following,
Superb listening experience but would like to solve the communication issues too.
Cheers
deepgandotra
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2017

Interesting to see the QC35 II out in the market now ... with the lack of progress on the QC30 issue over the last year we will soon be left out in the dark in all probability without a resolution to the issue ... so will 'may soon be launched' QC30 II be Bose's resolution to the issue and they surely would expect us (drive us!!) to shell out more money on that unit now ... wow gr8 going Bose ... Smiley Frustrated

Some already interesting feedback on the same ...

https://community.bose.com/ziiiw76728/board/message?board.id=wireless-headphones&message.id=12766#M1...

m4rkw
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

I've pretty much written off using these for communication as everyone rightly says they are useless.

As well as this, I'm now on my third pair because of general build quality issues - first pair the plastic around the end of the neckband split, second pair was DOA (severely limited bluetooth range) and the third pair have now split again.  Going to the Bose store today who said they'll replace them but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

Makes you wonder whether Bose are even bothering to test these things before shipping them..

Casse
Participant
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

I cycle, so i'm in the market for a wireless, in-ear product. I want something with ANC to wear to uni and zone out while i'm studying, that are comfortable enough, and with sufficient battery life to wear all day. Seems like the only thing holding this product back is the communication aspect. 

I have heard about the product itself physically breaking down also, but this is not being called out quite as loudly as the comms issue, which seems to be far more consistant across the board, and looks to be a known fault.

I've had my eye on the QC30's for a while now.  

After quite a lot of research, I had my heart set on the QC30's, until, my research uncovered this comms problem. Call me old fashion, but if a product says it will do something, especially a premium product, it should do it, and do it well. 'Half-A-Job Bose.' I'm going to hold off untill I see the outcome of all this.

daniel_p
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 16, 2017

@Casse

When I purchased my QC 30 in Bose store, the vendor explained me the QC 30 is no recommended for sports. It is not sweat proof.

Bose don´t apply Noise cancelling in sports headphones (I don´t know if it there is a law about it, but I never found it in any other brand).

So, basically, you won´t have a headphone for all the uses you plan. Cycling, office....

Hope I have helped you.

Regards,

m4rkw
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 27, 2017

So I took my QC30s to the Regent Street store in London and got them swapped (for the 3rd time).

Microphone is no better on the new pair, so that's 4 in total that I've had under one purchase with a microphone that's unusable for calls.  I explained to the person in the store about how the neckband keeps splitting and she was totally unapologetic, said that it's because of the heat from my neck that causes the rubber to expand and then contract when it cools down.  She didn't have much to say when I pointed out that they're designed to sit on the neck so isn't this a fairly major design flaw?

From Bose's own website: "A lightweight, contoured neckband conforms to your body. It’s designed with soft materials to stay comfortable—perfect for listening all day."

I've been a Bose fan for years with many different pairs of them but after my experience with these I think I'm going to steer clear of the brand in the future and buy something else.  Every time I contact support I just get the same blanket response about sending them back to Belgium for replacement, no real acknowledgement of the design flaw that's so obviously there.

I'm starting to consider looking at my options for a claim under the sale of goods act because I don't think you can legally sell something of this poor quality in the UK.

daniel_p
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 16, 2017

Hi Community,

Today I tried something new. Not sure if it can help, because I didn´t have the option to test better.

If you are using QC 30 at work on windows laptop, open Manage Audio Devices, select bose (already paired) go to tab "Communications". Select > Reduce other sounds in 80%.

Let´s discuss your results. At least, if it is a possible improvement, we could know it could be solved at software level, and we could search for a solution with bose, IOS and Android..

Kind Regards,