Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Re: QC30 for Communication

@thersites the QC30 do cancel noise still during calls... the problem is, due to the mic issues and the "sidetone" feature, outside noises get sucked back into the picutre.  So basically your outbound audio is overwhelmed without background noises amplified to ridiculous levels, which is bad enough for the people on the other end of the calls--but then, due to sidetone, that same outbound audio is also fed into your own ears.  This feature is meant to prevent you from accidentally shouting in public, because without it and with outside nosies blocked, you can't tell how loud your voice actually is.  To simulate that, have a friend put on any headphones (ANC or not) and turn up some music to just barely comfortable levels and ask them to try to talk to you.  Because they can't hear their own voice, they're going to be yelling at your.  Sidetone was designed to help prevent that, but unfortunately the mics and/or outbound audio software is making that unfortunate.

EDIT oh there's a new firmware?  cool, I'll check it out.  But yeah, not expecting any difference, given the change log.  Low frequency ANC changes are intruiging.  

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
vandrew
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

No change after the new firmware regarding to calls using QC30....back to answering phones on my apple earphones. 

bernardo.cabral@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2017

It's such a pity the mic problem. I do have some enjoyment listening to music while walking in the street, something that I didn't with normal in ear phones, the lack of noise is fenomenal. But if we try to use it to do some calls, it just ruins the picture.

In any case, I've updated to the latest firmware and the mic problem still persists.

However, I think that there was some improvements done on the bluetooth connection stability.

BC

hornauer
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

Adding my name to this list so I get email updates on this topic.  I was just about to file a support request but decided to check the fourms first.   I have owned the QC-30's since February 2017.  I don't recall having this issue at first but ultimately my current experience is the same as many here.  Great for the airplane/gym and having noise reduction bluetooth earbuds without the sweaty cans, but have to switch back to the powerbeats or plantronics if I want to walk and talk.   

Chris H 
chris@hornauer.net

ahernep
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2017

Getting in on this mostely for the updates. Was about to pull the trigger and get these but now having doubts, I may get them and try but after 15 pages on this post and the same on the original QC35/QC30 post I've got a strong feeling they will be getting returned very quickly! 

Just one question, people seem to suggest that this is the attempt at sidetone, so the mic is picking up the speakers voice and playing this back to both the headset and the others on the call but also carrying too much ambient noise. This makes sense as others have posted with noise cancelling headsets so you can hear yourself, was never comfortable making calls with the QC15s. If I understand the noise cancellation effect can be controlled both during normal use and in-call. So, is there a difference reported by people on the far end of hte call if ANC is turned up high or low? 

Thanks,
Peter.

Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@ahernep ANC isn't applied to the outbound audio, so unfortunately no, no effect. 

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
iWahab
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2017

Now what?
Still not working ok after the update

Need to replace it with the new model.
Bose Hearphones And pay the difference
Mutnat
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@iWahab I wouldn't count on those doing much, if any, better:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC30-for-Communication/m-p/78311/highlight/true#M1...

iWahab
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 24, 2017

Very disappointing 😕
Terrible Monster
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 17, 2017

In terms of the mic quality during phone calls - no change at all. Although sometimes I get lucky and the sound is fine.

In terms of the noise cancellation. It got noticeably better! Up to the poetic level! Here good job.

I hope that connectivity is improved too. Sometimes, it's a total nightmare when I'm close to the phone, exercising, and I lose the connection. At least on my Huawei P8 phone. On the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet the connection is close to brilliant!