Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBoxster98
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 13, 2017

Re: QC30 for Communication

Just an FYI. I returned my QC30's yesterday and purchased a pair of Sony WI1000x's to replace them. The Sony's were so much more unbearable that I decided to rebox and return them within 20 minutes of using them. I suppose I'll be getting a set without noise cancelling and dealing with it. What's with these company's that used to provide great products and service now selling crap and just saying 'if you don't like it, just return it.'?
Chik
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Agreed many companies seem to do less in their qc and are happy to just replace, replace and replace. That said, my replacement qc30s seem less sensitive to background noise during calls.. Still amplified but less annoying than the previous pair.

That said.. The quality of sound thru the qc30s is just stunning...amazing feat of engineering!

monzour.abacan
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2017

Hi,

Great morning from Dubai. I was actually following this forum from the first two discussion topics (that resulted into this topic "QC30 for Communication").

I was really glad to have found this discussion forum as I too was having problems with my QC30. My dad bought them from Duty Free last July 2017. And I was really enjoying the sound quality especially the ANC feature. The sound was superb! It was so clear and I was able to listen to my music, in my own "world" without cranking up the volume and damaging my ears! I had one comment though - the voice call quality. I don't feel the need to specify my complaints because it has been repeated over and over again by other users. And I agree with them. The people I am calling cannot hear my voice. All they hear is a muffled sound of my voice. I was having a hard time talking to them when I am in a public transport because all they hear is the engine of the bus, etc. And there are times (and places) where I am unable to raise my voice. So what I do is I put the right earbuds over my mouth and talk through it (just like a mini walkie-talkie).

I have been wanting to join this discussion but time does not always permit me to register and all. Thank God now that I am registered, here I am! Anyway, the reason why I wanted to join this discussion is to get an update on the solution (be it hardware or software) Bose made for the microphones.

Now, fortunately for me (and I am really happy to tell you guys), the Bose Connect App (for Android - Samsung S8+) updated yesterday night. And unconciously I used my QC30 to answer a call from my fiancé (because whenever I answer calls, I disconnect my QC30 and talk to them directly using my mobile). When I was talking to her, I was surprised that we were having a normal conversation i.e. not the ones like "Can you talk louder?" or "I'm sorry I really can't hear you." types of conversation. When I asked her, how my voice sounded like, she said that my voice is really clear. She thought that I was using a new wireless headset and I said no. I said I was using my Bose QC30. And wow! I was so amazed! She said that there was a huge improvement on my voice quality! I asked her on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a minor improvement and 10 being a huge improvement on my voice) how much has my voice improved? And she said 10! She even said (non-verbatim), "Now that's the headphone worth AED 1,200 (that's 327 USD)!".

I experimented with how I talked to her. I spoke to her softly, I tried whispering and she could hear me. I was in a fairly quiet room. But still, with the old setting, I still have to raise my voice for her to hear what I am saying. Then I went into my office (a bit noisy) due to the conversations going around me, she can still hear me. Then I tried going outside near the highway and she said that my voice is still clear. She was even kind of annoyed (in a good way) saying, "Yes. The call quality has really improved and I can still hear you well!".

There is one thing that I still need to check (which I will when I leave the office) and that is the voice or call quality when I am in the bus. The bus is quiet, but the sound of the engine isn't. So hopefully (and I am really hoping) that even though I am in the noisy bus or even in the noisy metro, when I speak in my normal tone or volume, she will still be able to hear me well.

See, my dad got my QC30s for me as a gift. And I am a sentimental person. So I treasure it very much. I really do not want to get my headphones replaced (not unless it's really unusable) just because of this mic issue. Now that I have experienced the awesome improvement of the voice quality during my calls, I have no need to have my headphones replaced.

Thank you Bose! I really hope that the software update is the "FIX" that everyone's looking and waiting for (since last year)!

Cheers!

Monzour A.

P.S. Just in case you were all wondering about, my QC30 was manufactured on Feb 2017 and bought on Dubai Duty Free on July 2017. The QC30 firmware is still 1.2.9 and the Bose Connect App is the recently updated one, Bose Connect 5.0. It was recently updated 13 hours ago. So maybe it was the Bose Connect App update the fixed the issue? I don't know. But what I do know is, I am finally fully enjoying my QC30!

P.P.S. I will give an update on how my voice and call quality goes when I am in the bus and/or metro.

daniel_p
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 16, 2017

I will try the version 5.0 today @monzour.abacan. But if it is a solution, It should be included a fix in the firmware, so we can use in our desktops with Skype for business software.
monzour.abacan
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2017

I totally agree! The firmware needs to be updated as well...

daniel_p
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 16, 2017

I have just tried in the bus now with the version 5.0 of quietconnect. It seems it is not using the microphone from the earphone, but it is using the cell's phone mic.

I hear well, but I am not sure if this version had anything to do with calls. Maybe, it is not using the mic from QC30, actually.
monzour.abacan
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2017

Hmmm...well in my case, how can the person on the other end, hear my voice (and whispers) so clearly? The phone was well hidden in my pocket. I also went outside which was quite noisy.

Well, in this case, we need other users to give us a feedback too. Let's wait and see...

Thanks Daniel.
daniel_p
Collaborator
Registered since

Feb 16, 2017

Just tried now from my office using skype for business on desktop and bose connect app in the phone. Results:

1. External noise seems to have reduced.
2. My voice is not clear for the person I am talking with.
3. Experienced some echo.
4. For several times, the earphone lost connection and reconnected my cell device, with the boring alert, and you lose part of the conversation.
monzour.abacan
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 21, 2017

That seems pretty bad. No major improvements done then. Hmmm. I will continue to try and use my QC30 and check for any existing problems from mine.

I use my QC30s mainly for music and phone calls. So far so good on my side. I haven't tried using it for Skype though (yet) as well as for my laptop. Might try them tonight...

Thanks for the update.
bernardo.cabral@gmail.com
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 2, 2017

No, tried it and I still have exacly the same problems. And this is to be expected, because the firmware was not updated.

BC

@monzour.abacan wrote:

Now, fortunately for me (and I am really happy to tell you guys), the Bose Connect App (for Android - Samsung S8+) updated yesterday night. And unconciously I used my QC30 to answer a call from my fiancé (because whenever I answer calls, I disconnect my QC30 and talk to them directly using my mobile). When I was talking to her, I was surprised that we were having a normal conversation i.e. not the ones like "Can you talk louder?" or "I'm sorry I really can't hear you." types of conversation. When I asked her, how my voice sounded like, she said that my voice is really clear. She thought that I was using a new wireless headset and I said no. I said I was using my Bose QC30. And wow! I was so amazed! She said that there was a huge improvement on my voice quality! I asked her on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a minor improvement and 10 being a huge improvement on my voice) how much has my voice improved? And she said 10! She even said (non-verbatim), "Now that's the headphone worth AED 1,200 (that's 327 USD)!".

I experimented with how I talked to her. I spoke to her softly, I tried whispering and she could hear me. I was in a fairly quiet room. But still, with the old setting, I still have to raise my voice for her to hear what I am saying. Then I went into my office (a bit noisy) due to the conversations going around me, she can still hear me. Then I tried going outside near the highway and she said that my voice is still clear. She was even kind of annoyed (in a good way) saying, "Yes. The call quality has really improved and I can still hear you well!".

There is one thing that I still need to check (which I will when I leave the office) and that is the voice or call quality when I am in the bus. The bus is quiet, but the sound of the engine isn't. So hopefully (and I am really hoping) that even though I am in the noisy bus or even in the noisy metro, when I speak in my normal tone or volume, she will still be able to hear me well.