Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sesardelaisla
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

QC30 poor sound quality and other issues

Hi Bose Community,

My first message here after being a Bose products proud owner for several years, perhaps because I had not experienced any issue until now, I . However, I was shocked witht the sound quality difference I noticed just the very first time I used my new Bose QuietControl 30 headphones. I actually just sent the enquiry below to Bose through its official contact form and I expect they answer shortly. I will appreciate if you can read this. I would like to know whether you have experienced the same.

In addition to the points stated in my enquiry below, I forgot to mention the poor audio calls quality. I tested in a quiet enviroment and it went well. However, when I did a test by the streets, the person I was calling could not even understand me. The volume level and sound quality was pretty bad for me as well.

I also just noticed that some sound drops occure when listening to music while my phone is in the same pocket I use to put it when using my QC35. With this model, no sound drops at all.

Happy to have some feedback from you.

Thanks!

Sésar

-----

Dear Bose Team,

I purchased a Bose QuietControl 30 headphones a couple of days ago and I must say that I am a little disappointed with them. Just the very first time I tried them with some music I use to listen to, I noticed that sound quality is not (by far) as good as the Bose QC35 I already from last December. They are not even as good as the Bose Soundlink On Ear BT I do have as well. It is not just a matter of quality. I think the volume level is also a bit lower. I understand that on/over ear headphones should be better because of the speaker size and other considerations. However, the difference is very noticeable. I actually have another headphones from other manufacturer which are half of the price and size of the QC30 (I used them just for sports) and the sound is much much better. I understand that sound is a subjective thing. But, taking into account that I have other Bose products, after comparing them I can say that this product is not on the same level of (at least) the other Bose products I have.

I updated the product's firmware from v1.1.9 to v1.2.9 (the latest available) and I did not noticed any sound quality improvement. Perhaps a little, but it is very difficult to assure this without having the opportunity to have 2 units in order to compare properly. In addition, I would like to take advantage of this enquiry to ask why you have not developed a really worthy application for this kind of products, with the ability, for instance, to equalise the sound. Having a way to setup the noise cancelling hardware switch with an ON/OFF behaviour instead of a variable steps one would be good too.

I am proud owner of Bose products. In addition to the headphones stated above, I have some speakers as well. I really love Bose products and sound quality you use to provide. However, I am really starting to regret of this purchase. I will keep on using the headphones for a few days before asking my retailer for a reimburse before my 7-days limit expires but I would be happy if you give me some feedback about this issue. Could this issue be related just with my single unit? Have you got other feedbacks similar to this from other customers? Any chance to solve this issue with a unit exchange or is this all that I can expect from the QC30 model?

I would appreciate if you answer before this Friday. Next Saturday is the 7-day limit I have to claim for a reimburse.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

9 REPLIES 9
Tony_G
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: QC30 poor sound quality and other issues

sesardelaisla

Thanks for the post. We are sorry to hear that. Please come back and update us when you hear back from support!

Looking forward to hearing from you

Tony

sesardelaisla
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

Hi Tony,

Thanks for following up!

Yesterday, I received a call from the Bose local technical support team. They advised to visit one of the Bose retailers here in Singapore where demo units are available, in order to do some tests, so to check whether there was a difference or not in quality and performance. Honestly, my hope was to find a difference out. I expected my specific unit to have an issue so it would be easy to solve it just exchanging it. However, sound quality was the same and volume level was the same too. IMHO, this model is far far away down from QC35 (this specific model takes you to another level of wireless sound) and QC25 as well, (I am a proud owner of both models, and the SoundLink OE BT too). I had the opportunity to try a QC20 demo unit at the shop as well. Sound depth, sharpness, quality and level were pretty the same. Perhaps the sound is a little bit more "flat" (depth and dynamic range was even worse), but it was not really noticeable.

I am not sure whether there is already any topic open in the Community about this difference but I am really surprised that nobody has pointed this before. Perhaps it is just because the ones who have the QC20 and QC30 models do not have either the QC25 or QC35 to compare...

Do not take me wrong: QC30 sound is not bad, and as I already explained in my first post, I understand the difference between over-ear, on-ear and in-ear headphones. I also know that sound perception is a pretty subjective thing. But, I already have other in-ear headphones from other brands that are supposed to have a much lower profile than Bose and they do have better sound, or at least a pretty similar one. As mentioned, the sound is not "a little different" with other Bose models: the difference is quite big. Not having an equalization control does not help either. By the way, I cannot understand why Bose has not yet implemented an equalizer in its Bose Connect app yet. In addition, I have experienced a few connectivity short drops while using the QC30 with my smartphone in my pocket. I have not ever experienced this with QC35 and SoundLink OE BT.

The truth is that I am thinking of doing something I never considered before with a Bose product: returning it back to the retailer. 😞

gus gutz
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 15, 2017

I have these headphones and the sound sport wireless headphones. The QC30's are just crap. They drop out and stutter. I gave up using them all together. Bose made an offer to replace them and sent a pair that was older than the ones I had. The first thing I did after I paired them was play a song and immediatly the sound dropped out. You cannot blame my phone, the sound sport wireless phones and the soundlink mini speaker never drop out.  If you can take them back, do so.  These things are rather useless

sesardelaisla
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

I do agree. I think somebody lost its mind in the Bose Quality Control department when they decided to release this product with so many issues.

Pavicaj
Participant
Registered since

Aug 23, 2017

I honestly regret getting this QC30 very cheap platronics models far out performs it. This is my first time using Bose product. I am really disappointed. 

asehmi
Participant
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

I bought the QC30 last weekend and am experiencing the most annoying sound dropouts. I will be looking to return them tomorrow.

mustaki
Participant
Registered since

Sep 24, 2017

my QC30 are practically new but they will not turn off anymore, a very common issue apparently.

dont even mention the sound quality which is avarage at most. (for 50$ earphones, not 380$ )

i also made the mistake of purchasing them while on vacation in another country and so a refund /replacement is not an option. 

i could have bought so many other excellent earphones, from other makers, for a fraction of the price.

at this time and age i expect a reputable company to take responsibility and recall their defective products and offer compensation.

sincerly

TM

Amf
Participant
Registered since

Oct 5, 2017

I bought qc30 a week ago from amazan prime. Today I decided to return. It'was very good in the beginning. Now it drops sound and no sound below 70% sound setting. I do have QC 20&25. Since I lost my qc20, I want to buy this. QC 30. I am very surprised to see Bose product give problem. Actually I want new replacement set but prime said to return and order new set.
Then I happened to see this forum so I now going hold before ordering new one. Now I don't know what to do since I didn't like any other brand for that matter. I am very disappointed do not know what to do. Should I order QC 35. That is bulky for jogging I liked qc30
sesardelaisla
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

After using the headphones for a couple of weeks, I am going to sell them. Regreting for not returning them within the allowed period. Proud owner of several Bose devices. Looks like interns developed this specific model...