Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Audio Delay/Lag

ST,

If comparing different browsers to one another, the Netflix streaming seems to work noticeably better with Microsoft Edge rather than Google Chrome.

However, comparing the Netflix app to Microsoft Edge, the two are very comparable and there is still a very noticeable delay.

Are there settings somewhere that need to be adjusted on my machine?

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi seanfraser,

I get different amounts of latency on the various devices around here. There's a setting in my Samsung TV that allows me to compensate for audio latency. I can watch Netflix on the TV with my QC35 with no visible delay. That adjustment is the opposite of what we need. It delays the audio for situations where the audio reaches the viewers' ears before the video is seen.

I think there must be something similar (but in reverse) going on with Bluetooth audio. I can watch Netflix on the TV with my QC35 with no visible delay.  There's no adjustment for this though.

I've been searching the web hoping to find something about settings that we can change in our Windows machines or in Netflix to improve audio latency. No luck.  Sorry.

ST

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

There is no question that the BT lag issue is ALWAYS caused by the transmitting device.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2017

@Socrates wrote:

There is no question that the BT lag issue is ALWAYS caused by the transmitting device.

True there is always some lag depending on the transmitting device but I've had BT-headphones previously as well and the lag has not been as long as it is with QC35 at the moment. And there's been multiple reports of firmware update adding lag so it is not only due the transmitting device.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

Hi ST,

Yes, I have been looking online for possible solutions as well and it's really not QC35 related so much as it is how BT in general works. While some devices and OS’s are able to automatically compensate for BT’s inherent pitfalls, it is unfortunate that Windows 10 is not.. and if MS is making any efforts, it’s still not enough. Oh well. The QC35's still sound great for the audio..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 19, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Audio Increased Delay/Lag Since 1.2.x Update

Hey guys, for those who have this problem, specifically on windows, just try to follow this videos instructions, it worked for me, there is still a little bit of audio delay, but you won't notice it that much anymore. You just deactivate the handfree phonecall setting for the headphones, this is what's causing the audio delay (in windows at least).

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/55yn-zF_dZY
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

I'm pleased to say I have fixed my issue 100%.
Here's what I did :

1. Unplugged QC35's
2 boxes them up
3. Returned to John Lewis
4. Exchanged for AE2 and a breadmaker.
Fixed!! No lag 😉

Seriously though I hope you do get your solution, I just couldn't cope with it any more and decided an exchange was the best solution for me.
Good luck all.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

SiriXV,

That is a helpful post for people using their BOSE in in the wrong mode - hands free calling vs music - but unfortunately that does not apply in this situation. The issue is the delayed audio, the the actual quality of the audio is excellent, just out of sync with video sources.

I am ever hopeful that microsoft provides an improved bluetooth driver or audio/video service that better improves track synchronization between audio and video sources. This kind of solution does exist for other systems since most people on android or iphones or iOS machines don't seem to be complaining about audio delays/synchronization issues. Just need Microsoft to take better control of this for windows.

That link will certainly be helpful for people with poor audio quality issues. 

@ST - Hearphones perhaps you can post that part to quality related issues so others can easily find it?

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/55yn-zF_dZY

Danke,

Having distortion or bad sound quality in Windows 10 with Bluetooth headphones or other devices? Try this easy fix.DISCLAIMER: THIS FIX APPLIES ONLY TO PLA...
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 24, 2016

@Victrox wrote:

@Socrates wrote:

True there is always some lag depending on the transmitting device but I've had BT-headphones previously as well and the lag has not been as long as it is with QC35 at the moment. And there's been multiple reports of firmware update adding lag so it is not only due the transmitting device.

Yes, it's always the transmitting device despite the "multiple reports."  The delay that exists results from the frame buffering at the transmit end.  It's not physically possible for the receiving device to cause the delay.  The receiver must process (or discard) the frames as quickly as they arrive.

Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

What makes you think that receiving side cannot buffer as well? It is not related to Bluetooth, but in case of audio communication over a network is it pretty common for receiving side to use 'jitter buffer' to smooth out differences in packet arrival times.