sujithkochat
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Audio Delay/Lag

@ST - Hearphones, I'm using a 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" with OS Sierra 10.12.5 and am still experiencing the lag on chrome when I go on Youtube, as well as VLC player after the update

Leod
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

Interestingly my first update to 1.3.2 was via the Connect app which forced me to update to 1.2.10 then to 1.3.2. Audio latency was very noticeable. I rolled back to 1.0.6 using btu.bose.com and latency was back to what would be expected. I then tried updating to 1.3.2 again but this time directly (i.e. skipping 1.2.10) using btu.bose.com and latency so far seems to be similiar to 1.0.6 and much more bearable.

Need to test a bit more to be sure but so far seems improved over 1.2.10

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi sujithkochat,

I'm sorry to hear about the lag that you and some others are experiencing.

I wonder if the MacOS Activity Manager (Command+Option+Esc) can tell us anything useful.

I'm running my personal QC35 with firmware version 1.3.2 (just loaded it the other day) and my Surface Book (Windows Pro Creators Update) I just downloaded and installed VLC so I could check it out.  Here is what I'm seeing.

In the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)

VLC uses 5-7% CPU and 80 MB of RAM (very chatty movie)

Google Chrome running YouTube uses 1.5-3.5% CPU and 49 MB of RAM (talking head instructional video)

I'm running both applications full screen.  There is a little lag on VLC but I have to be looking for it to notice. I mean really watching peoples' lips. It's hard to see any lag on Youtube.

I'm running a Surface Book with Performance Base (Core i7 6600U CPU @2.6-2.81 Ghz)

There are a lot of variables here. Hardware, operating system, drivers, software.

I just fired up my Surface 3 (Intel Atom x7-78700 CPU @ 1.60 GHz) (Windows Pro Creators Update)

I just fired up the Google Chrome with Youtube uses 3-5% CPU and 57 MB of RAM (talking head instructional video)

The video sync is not quite as good as on my Surface Book but it's not distracting.

I've mentioned previously that I take courses using the Windows app for Lynda.com. That's all video, and most of the time I watch those on the Surface 3. There's a little latency, but not enough to be distracting. 

What kind of numbers do you see using Activity Monitor (Command+Option+Esc)?

I understand, I'm not offering any solutions here, but maybe we can compare notes and get a better idea about what's happening.

ST

sujithkochat
Participant
Registered since

Jun 29, 2017

@ST - Hearphones Thanks for replying so fast! So these are the numbers I am seeing on my 8GB of RAM:

VLC

21.5% CPU for a short 10 minute video and 161.8 MB of RAM

Chrome on Youtube

8.1% CPU and 174.4 MB of RAM

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi sujithkochat,

That's interesting information. Thanks for documenting it.

I'm surprised to see differences in CPU and RAM requirements, but perhaps I shouldn't be. We're talking about two different operating systems. I can't help but wonder if the greater CPU load or RAM requirements are taxing the system to the point of causing a delay in the audio and Bluetooth processing. That's speculation. I don't know about the inner workings.

My two machines are at opposite ends of the performance scale (Core i7 vs. Atom and 16 GB vs. 4 GB of RAM). What they have in common:

• Manufacturer: Microsoft
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Creators Update
  • Bluetooth hardware and drivers. They both show this in device manager.

Marvell Avastar.png

I wonder what Bluetooth hardware and drivers others have in their computers.

ST

kncowans
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2017

Hello all

I purchased a pair of QC35 Headphones this week and they came with the 1.0.6 FW which worked fine, however, there were some dropouts.

There was no noticeable Audio Delay with this version.

I updated to version 1.3.2 which seemed to improve the dropouts however it also introduced an Audio Delay of nearly 1 second.

I have the QC35 Paired with a TaoTronics TT-BA07 which is connected to my AV Receiver.

Because of the Audio Delay, watching TV is not possible using the 1.3.2 FW.

I downgraded to the 1.0.6 FW and the Audio Delay was near to non existent again so I will stay on this version for now until this issue is hopefully fixed.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Qed
Participant
Registered since

Jul 15, 2017

I love my Bose QC35 and the now "Low" noise cancelling setting works gret for me.

I did a rudimental latency test with firmware 1.3.2 and it seem that there is about 150ms adiitional latency compared to my wired headset. That is still pretty high and noticeable. Does nayone have the latency data for FW 1.0.6?

jimsaxman
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

What is FW?

EDIflyer
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

FW = firmware

jimsaxman
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2017

I would just piggyback this issue.  I got the QC35 to use with my audio system in a recording scenario.  I found the sound of the tracks were fine, but singing vocals into the microphone produced a remarkable delay of almost a second.  Any delay renders these headphones unusable. I would note that another set of bluetooth earbuds I have created the same issue. I tend to believe the engineer when he says that this delay is inherent in the bluetooth system.  I'm afraid no software tweek is going to fix it.  Time to return them--too bad.  Back to getting tangled in wires again.