Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Audio Delay/Lag

Any update on this confirmed bug? I'd been mainly listening to audio only since the 1.2.10 update but today was watching video and Bluetooth was totally unusable, I ended up having to plug in the cable (which slightly defeats the purpose of the QC35s being wireless!). No issues with previous firmware versions.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2017

Updated my QC35 to 1.2.10 today and the BT lag jumped up couple notches. Really annoying to watch anything. Pretty much makes the headphones usable only for listening music or podcasts.

My primary use cases are watching series from iPad during commute and listening music during the workday so this cuts the usefulness of the headphones quite a bit as half of the use is not feasible.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 24, 2017

Hey @Jason_G any news on this firmware update you mentioned back in March? I know there's been quite a bit of noise from some disgruntled users about ANC etc but there are still plenty of us who like and want to stick with the QC35s so would appreciate this bluetooth lag fix please.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2017

Sorry, nothing new to add apart from i have the same issue and it ridiculous.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Just had a very interesting call with Bose UK Technical Support that perhaps gives an insight into why they didn't considering lag an issue with this update - the rep I spoke to was extremely surprised to hear I was trying to use the headphones to watch video.  He said they are only designed for listening to audio and that the Bluetooth technology inherently has lag issue and as such video was not a use-case they were designed to work with.

Clearly I intimated how flabbergasted I was to hear this statement - I appreciate many people will just use the headphones to listen to music, but I explained a significant number of customers wanted to use their headphones to enjoy video on mobile devices when travelling.  I also emphasised that this has ONLY been an issue since the latest 1.2.10 firmware upgrade and thus is clearly not an issue inherent to the technology, but one that can be controlled within the firmware.

In light of this information I suspect the engineers have been overly obsessing about ANC quality and have totally forgotten about lag time, if they don't even consider video a normal use-case.

The agent took my details and promised to pass my comments on.  In the meantime he could only suggest downgrading to old firmware to restore the previous acceptable lag.

Overall I must admit to being extremely surprised at the attitude from Bose on this issue - I'm not sure if @Jason_G has any better insight into the internal processes and thinking around this?  I would like to hear confirmation that the issue has been acknowledged by the technical team and that they are working on an update that will allow those that wish acceptable lag to not be stuck on the oldest firmware.  If it is not acknowledged and no fix is provided then sadly they would appear to be unfit for purpose and require to be returned, which I would prefer to avoid as prior to the lag issue I thought they worked well, but for such an expensive product you shouldn't have to put up with sub-optimal performance.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 18, 2017

@EDIflyer Thanks for sharing this.

I use my qc35 to watch netflix on my tablet occasionally, and I must say that I am surprised at this finding.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Any update on this topic, mods?

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @EDIflyer

We hope to have an update about what will be addressed in the next firmware release.  Look for news later this month. In the meantime, if you had better performance watching video with a previous firmware version, then please roll back to that previous version. You can do that at http://btu.bose.com

Speaking personally, I watch Netflix with my QC35. I get varying degrees of success depending on the device I'm using. The best results are with my Samsung Smart TV. There's a setting in there someplace for improving the synchronization Bluetooth devices. It's not perfect, but it's tolerable. I can detect the lag if I look for it. Video / Audio synchronization was also okay with my iPad Pro 9.7, but that's a small screen and I wasn't looking for synchronization issues. In both cases, I think that the video is actually being delayed a little bit (by the device) to compensate for the latency inherent in Bluetooth. 

Minor lag with the following

Summary:

Application: Netflix

Device: Samsung Smart TV

Operating System: Smart TV

QC 35 Firmware 1.2.10

Device: Surface Studio

Operating System: Windows 10 Creators Update

QC 35 Firmware 1.2.10

Device: Ipad Pro 9.7

Operating System: IOS 10.3.1

QC 35 Firmware 1.2.10

ST

Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

To all,

If  you are having an issue with audio lag while watching videos, please tell us what application, device, and operating system you are using.

Thank you,

ST

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Many thanks for the reply, @ST - Hearphones - I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in wanting to watch video using my QC35s!  I've got a trip coming up so will definitely be downgrading my FW before the trip, hopefully it will restore the previous acceptable functionality.

I'm using them with Android - sometimes Samsung Galaxy S7, mainly Nexus 9.  Watching mix of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video.

Look forward to new firmware - my main concern was that Bose did think about this use-case and not get obsessed by just ANC!