Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2017

Re: QC35 Bluetooth Audio Delay/Lag

Hi,

I've had delay issues at least with
* iPad 2 (iOS 7) using Netflix and Elisa Viihde (Finnish ISP/media company's app)
* Lenovo T450s Win 10 while watching Facebook or Youtube videos
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi ediflyer,

I just found an article that discusses the audio - video lag when using Bluetooth.

I think the first paragraph is most relevant.

When Bluetooth Audio Latency Matters

There’s been a lot of talk of wireless earphones lately, mostly due to the removal of the headphone port on the iPhone 7. I love wireless earphones, and for the most part I think their pros outweigh the cons significantly. However, they have one particular problem that really needs to be fixed.

I’ve used Bluetooth earphones and speakers regularly for about six years, on various different platforms. Generally, I’ve found that they perform well when playing audio, but depending on the OS, video can range from perfect to unwatchable. This is due to sync issues caused by the latency of the Bluetooth audio stream. If the OS simply starts the video and audio at the same time, the audio will lag behind by the length of time it takes the Bluetooth hardware to receive, process and output it. This can be compensated for, basically by starting the video stream a little later than the audio. In my experience, iOS and macOS handle this pretty well; whatever calculations Apple uses to coordinate the starts of the video and audio streams works most of the time.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Thanks, ST. Agree re BT having a lag for sure, however it was short enough previously that I didn't really notice it. With 1.2.10 it became very noticeable on my setup, presumably as the engineers weren't really bothered about it as only looking at audio. It be nice it it was possible to get some update from them that this is a problem that they are aware of and are trying to address. I'm certainly not expecting zero lag, but would appreciate if it could be brought back down to previous levels.
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi ediflyer,

Let me encourage you to roll back the firmware to version 1.06 at http://btu.bose.com

It doen't take long, and we'll have more information.

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Don't worry, ST - will definitely be giving that a go but won't be until mid-way through next week (don't have the headphones with me right now). Will report back once I've tried!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Updated from the stock firmware to the current and noticed the delay watching a video online. 

This is is quite disappointing. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 28, 2017

Hmm so weirdly I thought I'd try a full reboot of the QC35s before downgrading the FW - and (so far at least), the lag doesn't seem anywhere near as noticeable - TBH if I didn't know better I'd say it was back to where it was with the original FW!  I'm going to keep an eye on things on a trip this weekend and see how it goes but it would be great if so!

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi @Jodiuh

I"m sorry that you're having a problem with this delay while watching a video online.

Based on ediflyer's post above, it sounds like it's worth rebooting the QC35. Here's how.

QC35 Reboot

1. Turn the headset off and wait for at least 30 seconds.

2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait at least 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).

3. Unplug USB cord from the headset and wait at least 1 minute.

4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly

Does that make a difference?

ST

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 9, 2017

I too am experiencing BT audio lag whenever I am streaming video. This primarily happens when using netflix on my Windows 10 PC.

The basic specs are as follows - and I can provide more detail if required.

Lenovo Carbon X1, 4th generation, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, latest BT drivers installed.

Browser: Chrome 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit), or Microsoft Edge 40.15063.0.0

Bose QC35 with firmware 1.2.10

Let me know what else is required.

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Hi seanfraser,

Do you notice any difference with the Netflix application compared to the browser based viewing experience?

ST