Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2017

QC35 Firmware 1.3.2 Review

First of all it is a little sad that there is a need to post reviews of firmware updates, but here you go. Take it for what it's worth. I don't know if I consider myself a full audiophile, but I'm probably pretty close in the sense that I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my sound.

Ok, installed new update and this is my opinion.

EQ = Very Similar to 1.0.6 (maybe just a very small decrease in warmth/bass but definitely not as drastic and not worth going back). Nice round lows (not too deep) with some punch, bright highs, and semi-warm mids. I recommend getting an app with EQ adjustments if you would like to further fine tune. Also the bass doesn't seem to get too muddy during periods of loud fast high hits (you can see my reference songs below).

NC = Much better, I don't care if they state in their release notes specificly that nothing has changed. High brings back some of the white noise but the NC is better (at least equal to 1.0.6 if not a little better). Low still has a decent amount of NC but drastically decreases white noise. Audio quality (music), using Poweramp, seems almost identical using High and Low NC settings, there is a small but slightly noticeable dropoff (namely it seems as if the EQ bands are narrowed with a little coming off of the low end bass, and a little coming off the bright highs) when NC is switched to off. This matches what Bose states in their changelog.

Bluetooth Connection Stability = So far I've had 2 hiccups/skips during songs via Poweramp on my LG V20 which is charging 3 ft from my headphones. I've listened to about 15 songs. Time will tell if it was just a buffering issue with my phone or problems are back. I'm comparing a pair of Plantronics - BackBeat Pro's which I had previous to my QC35s.

Bluetooth Switching = Just took a phone call while I was listening to a song in Poweramp. Switch was flawless. Other person had no problems hearing/understanding me.

The other bug fixes: Language Change, PS Vita, and WhatsApp don't apply to me so I have no comment.

Songs I used for reference (yes I have eclectic taste):

Prodigy - Breathe

Phantogram - Black Out Days

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence

Pink Floyd - Money

Avicii - Levels

Nirvana - About A Girl (MTV Unplugged)

N.E.R.D. - Anti Matter

VAST - Touched

Warren G - Regulate

The Moody Blues - Never Comes The Day

MuteMath - Chaos

Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pigs

The Outfield - Your Love

Rush - YYZ

Volbeat - Seal The Deal

Money, About A Girl (MTV Unplugged), and March of the Pigs are 3 I typically use for a good reference point as all 3 have a range of highs and lows and alot of dynamic shifts. They all sounded pretty good. The Reverb/Depth in Vast - Touched was pretty pure. Volbeat also had a really nice sound for some good ole rock, nice punch.

Definitely recommend over 1.2.10, I'll probably keep over 1.0.6 but to each their own

99 REPLIES 99
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: QC35 Firmware 1.3.2 Review

Hi @beaverboy56

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions.

"First of all it is a little sad that there is a need to post reviews of firmware updates..."

This firmware update fixed some bugs and added the ability to change the level of Acoustic Noise Cancellation. These changes affect your experience, and we're excited to hear what you have to say about that.

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 8, 2017

Well said. I'm very impressed with the ANC on this update. Before this, my headphones seemed to perform somewhere between what are now the Low and High settings. When I've got the source and 50% volume, and the headphones about the same - playing some music with dynamic changes, I can no longer hear my desk fan when the music gets soft.

Also, I know voices aren't completely filtered out, but when I'm using these without music - people around me are once again turned into Charlie Brown's teacher, rather than allowing me to actually hold a conversation.

Overall, I'm very, very pleasd with thius update and I've once again been using these all day again.

I still have to test them in the server room and with the lawnmower to proclaim that they've returned to their former glory, but I think I'll find that to be the case.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2017

Ok, I am getting a decent amount of skips/hiccups that weren't previously present on 1.0.6/1.2.10. Does anyone else notice this or is it a device related issue? I did not have this issue with my Plantronics Backbeat Pro.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2017

Bose delivered, finally!

Let me tell you, this update brought back to life the ANC to the QC35! 

I waited patiently for a new firmware version (I was using 1.2.10) and I it was worth it. I refused to downgrade to 1.0.6 because of the problems that were reported by lots of users. Even in Low setting, ANC is better than in 1.2.10.

Regarding sound quality, I think is warmer, more pleasant than in 1.2.10. 

I have not experienced hiccups so far.

Please, Bose, just remember for future updates: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 22, 2017

I am noticing an improvement on ANC for sure.  Love it!

Thanks Bose!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 22, 2017

Just when I thought that I couldn't be any more frustrated with Bose, they go and issue a new firmware update...and totally redeem themselves! I have to say, this firmware update is excellent, so far. The noise cancellation actually seems more effective than 1.2.10 and, dare I say it, a tad better than the coveted stock 1.0.6 firmware (which I was using on my replacement set...until now). The Bose Connect app now seems to have a purpose, which is nice. The sound profile seems tweaked, ever so slightly, and bass is a bit more prominent than before. Treble appears to be dialed back a notch from 1.0.6, which was off-putting at first, but I'll probably get used to it. Overall, this update is a very nice surprise. I hope that Bose will possibly consider allowing users the option of altering the sound profile in future updates, as I find the "signature" profile to have a bit too much focus on the midrange (sounds a bit bright and EQ'd) for my taste and I personally prefer a more balanced sound. Other than a slight nitpicky request, I have to say, this update delivers what one would expect from a premium product.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

Thanks for the 'low' ANC setting - it is much better when going outside on a windy day.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

I love this update !!

every issue i've ever had with the QC35 are gone and every desire i've had is fulfilled. 

I'll be testing the outdoor function as soon as possible - but it already seems much better just the fact that scratching the microphone doesn't make loud noise in the headphones !

EDIT: 
Audio Delay is VERY high when watching video on the computer 😞

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 8, 2017

Are you connected to a Windows PC or Mac? Windows 7/8.1/10?

Just curious, because I have 0 audio delay on my MacBook. I can try on my Surface with Windows 10 and see if I get lag there.