Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Re: QC35 Firmware 1.3.2 Review

I bought my head phones about a week ago.  Using the factory firmware, there was a significant amount of noise canceling.  I couldn't hear the TV upstairs and also couldnt really hear someone talking to me.  

After updating to 1.3.2, hoping to fix some bluetooth issues, its like noise cancelling isn't even working.  I can hear a tv on 20 feet away in another room.  I can clearly hear someone talking to me that is around 8 or so feet away.  I've got the noise cancelling set to high as well.  I can hear a slight different in noise cancelling between off/low/high but its not like it was when I first purchased the product.

I'm still determining if this product is worth $350.00.  Im leaning on sending them back, but I'm still on the fence about them.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 8, 2017

OK, so after a weekend of using and testing, I'm convinced my original reaction to this update was a bit more placebo than anything else. While the ANC on high certainly sems a bit better on some things, It's still nowhere near the awe-inspiring levels it was when I first put these on my head. Maybe I'm just over-hyping how good they used to be. I still love them, but I definitely miss the shock of the first time I used them compared to the QC25.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 26, 2017

Hello All,

I am a proud owner of qc 35. Just upgrade mine from 1.2.0 to 1.3.2. For sure i can feel that the ACN is a bit better than previously. Also, the base is a lot better +they sound more louder. This are my impressions for the moment. I have a colleague wit qc 25 and asked him also to test - both of us have the same impressions.

P.S

It's really bad that the uprade is not working via the phone app. If someone has issues, please use btu.bose.com

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

My opinion is that ANC high on v1.3.2 is the same as it was on previous versions, I never could hear any noticeable difference.

ANC high vs low, there is a difference; in low mode, voices are less cancelled than in high mode but keeps removing low freq noise.

Also sound quality is the same, a bit poor in my opinion, as highs sound artificial either on BT or cable.

I also noticed that ANC is in low mode, switching off the headphones and on again, ANC gets back to high mode; I don't know if this the intended behavior but I think it should keep the last config.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2017

@beaverboy56 wrote:

I still don't understand why Bose is stating in their changelog that nothing about the NC has changed when every person seems to notice the difference. Why not just state that it was improved? You made your customers happy and listened to them.

I guess for the same reason they couldn't say much about those ANC "issues" that were previously reported by all those unhappy users.

The new "High" setting is technically the exact same layout as when the ANC was enabled before.

Bose didn't say that something has changed to the ANC for the very simple reason that nothing has changed 🙂

No I am wrong sorry, what changes is that now, with those ANC configurable settings, your brain gets tricked ^^ But that's all 😉

Jesus I will never work for the audio industry ! Everything is mostly about personnal "impressions" and "feelings"...What a mess !  But Bose shows you with this update how you can deal with it ! Good job !

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2017

After updating sorry to point:

No ANC improvement at all.
Cosmetic changes to ANC.
that ranges from
1. Same as it was bad
2. Worse
3. None

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2017

Hey guys updated mine to v1.3.2. I´m kind have ears trainned as I play electric guitar and always considered music a serious ¨hobby¨.

My impressions summarized:

- bass got much better and more rich mediums. Usually I listen to it in Spotify in my Iphone 7 using R&B equalization that cuts outs more the mids.

- ANC for me got slight better than previous version. As a guy said here in the train you definately feel the difference between the new levels: High and Low. But still, the first versions had a much better noise cancellation in my opinion. I can hear me typing my keyboard at this moment for example (ok maybe it´s a bit noisy but I clearly remember that not happening when I bought the headphone 6 months ago). 

- And YES GLH,  I´m hearing hisses in highs and lows. Specially for videos in YT I hear a lot of when people are speaking in a talk show for example. 😕 There was a video that I couldn´t watch because of the amount of hiss coming out of the voice of people. Tried several videos and my impression was the same.

- Delay between sound and video got much worse! In my job´s pc at least, using Windows 10 Pro. In my Macbook Pro I didn´t notice so much difference. 

Well, overall I didn´t like too much mainly because of hisses and due to the fact ANC never came back to be what it was in my first hearings.

That´s my 2 cents.

Roberto 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

I agree, I'm certain I could not hear someone speaking to me before, because I had to take them off when someone tried speaking to me. Similarly when I passed them over for the other person to try she also couldn't hear me.

But now the headphones seem to make almost no difference. I've tested watching John Oliver on youtube with audio come out of computer speakers - I can hear almost the same with or without the headphones (bass does get cancelled though). So much so that it's not obvious if I've got the audio coming through the speakers or the headphones. IMHO very bad upgrade as far as noise cancelling goes.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 27, 2017

I dont know if this was intentional/if I'm just an idiot, but there is way more white noise with 1.3.2. When there is no music playing, it sounds like my ear is in a sea shell. I know this isnt how the headphones are supposed to be used, but when I take my practice bar tests in the library, I often turn on the headphones with no music so I have dead silense. Before the update, this worked great; after, its pretty significant white noise. A tad frustrating, but I love the headphones anyway.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2017

All right, it's been a few days and these are my conclusions:

-NC on high is basically the same as before. But I never thought it was bad in the first place.

-Honestly, I feel there is slightly less hiss now with 1.3.2. That, or I just got used to it. But the hissing is the same on high or low.  

-NC on low is more comfortable for long music sessions. The high setting, after some time, can become "oppressive" on my ears. I believe this is a GREAT feature. We don't need to be isolated all the time, and provided that the environment is not too noisy, the low setting is enough.

-I had a 2016 pair that I had to replace because of bluetooth issues. My 2017 pair does not have those issues.

-I really can't perceive a difference about NC power between my 2016 and current pair of QC35s. However, I remember that my old pair (2016) made me feel uncomfortable, way too much pressure on my ears. There is definitely less pressure with my new (2017) headphones (can become uncomfortable with long sessions on high setting, but nothing like the old one). Maybe that is why Bose had to change something fundamental about the NC, but really doesn't want to say much about it? Just an hypothesis, of course.

-All in all, I am happy with my headphones. They are not perfect, but they are good enough for me.