Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 21, 2017

Re: QC35 Firmware 1.3.2 Review

1) I don't believe it. This claim came as a response to people who said there is no difference between their upgraded headset and unupgraded demo units from Bose store. Then others started claiming that even QC25 (which is not upgradeable) has been downgraded. Sorry, but we are getting into conspiracy theory realm here. Also notice how the cutoff date of 'good' headsets keeps changing - first it was 2017, then Oct 2016 and finally August? 

2) Yup

3) There were various methods (for example downgrading to 1.0.6 then upgrading to 1.3.2), but they all seem to work for some people and don't work for others

4) That's right. I have not noticed any differences between 1.0.6, 1.2.10 and 1.3.2 (high) setting. I generally tested it by running something like 'bar ambience' on youtube for several minutes, setting volume to where I could barely hear it, doing firmware update and then listening for several minutes again. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 8, 2017

Upon finally having the chance to objectively sit and listen to these things in different environments, I'm starting to think that maybe I should just put these on eBay and invest in a pair of QC30's instead.

I've always loved my Bose around ear headphones. I have since my first paid of Bose AE2's many moons ago, but always having to worry about how the ANC is performing on these is starting to wear me out. They definitely still aren't the same headphones I have been using. I still love the sound, but I feel like I can get the same sound and noise blocking out of my SoundTrue Ultra. In fact, I feel like the Ultra's block the lawnmower noise better than the QC 35's now.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

I think I'll just stick with my 1.0.6 fw then.

Ian
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 25, 2017

POEOPLE WITH 1.0.6 or OLDER FIRMWARE SHOULD NOT UPGRADE!!!!!

reverting back to 1.0.6 will no longer bring back the good old ANC and sound quality.

I'm SURE they have modified the 1.0.6 or the new firmware ruines something which reverting back can not correct.

Your headphone becomes useless with the latest firmware. Weak ANC and countinous hissing noise is noticable immidiately after upgrade.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2017

Great review, thank you! Just changed 1.3.2 for 1.0.6 - must say it indeed seems Bose got it right this time, difference with 1.0.6 in base performance is indeed minimal and having the ability to set the NC levels is great. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

For the record:

Received my QC35 today, Built April 2017, stock 1.0.6.

I used a dB noise meter on iphone and put the headset microphone in between my ear and the right earcup. Then I tested stock 1.0.6 and upgraded 1.3.2 with some Youtube clips of a waterfall and airplane cabin sound (didn't move my head between the firmware update).

Result:

1.0.6:
Waterfall:
without: 72,2-73
with ANC: 58,8-59,9

Airplane:
without: 78,5-78,9
with ANC: 57,3-59,0

Waterfall:
without: 71,2-72,5
with ANC: 58,4-59,8

Airplane:
without: 78,9-80
with ANC: 57,2-57,8

Result: basically no difference. I think the firmware update drama is done for me here 😉 

Some people surely will say that headsets manufactured after October 2016 have a new "less good" 1.0.6, but unless I can test that myself I'll disregard it for now.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2017

Thank you
The new ANC to me is worse, It doesnt block all the frequencies and the older version is much better in cancellation than this one at least my opinion
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 13, 2017

Okay,i've just downloaded the new firmware,here are my thoughts.
When set to High,the NC seems slightly less,not as good as the 1.0.6 FW,less pressure feeling on the ears which i would rather have.
But there is definetly some ANC there.
When set to Low,the NC is again slightly less with no reduction in sound quality ie EQ,and less pressure on the ears.
When set to Off,that just sounds like through a wired connection.
I tested it on a windy day and could hear the wind being picked up in High,but when switched to Low the wind noise more or less vanished.
Think i'll be happy just staying on the LOW setting.
Regarding the hissing/white noise i would say it's about the same as before,it's not that bad/noticeable,when there's music playing it's not a issue
Hopefully that can be addressed in a later update.
All in all,i think i might prefer this FW than 1.0.6 ,ANC was never a big deal for me,i wanted the qc35's for the sound and looks over my Soundlink headphones.
They have a better sound and a better build than the Soundlinks.
So i think i'll be leaving it a this for the time being now,i just did'nt really like the ANC being on all the time.
Like the above post said,i'm done now with all this FW talk,i'm just going to get on with blasting out my music through them,thats what i bought them for,all said and done.
Bye
Ian
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 29, 2017

Was buing QC35 a week ago, April 2017, with FW1.0.6. I Was having smal drop outs in sound when using my ipad  mini 2. Also on my Android phone. Today i update to newest 1.3.2, and now i having almost none drop outs. I will stay on  1.3.2

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 5, 2017

is 3-4 decibels significant enough to not be considered within the margin of error?