QC35 II & Bose Radar Error

Re: QC35 II & Bose Radar Error

Hello Joelirwin,

Due to hardware restrictions, radar isn't supported by non-AR enabled devices.

You are correct - AR only works with QuietComfort 35 II headphones ending with an "AZ" on their Serial Numbers.

As such, the Radar app is not currently functional with headphone's that Serial Number ends with "AE".

Thanks 

Prince

Wistful Whiz

@Prince_O  Thanks for the clarification since in your previous post you said: "any product with the AZ at the end of the serial number won't work."   You really mean as you later said, "AE".

Quiet Contributor

Hi,

I think I need to clarify this further..

You state that AR only works with AZ serials because of a hardware difference. What if that hardware difference that enables AR is present in batch of devices, such as a limited edition perhaps. What’s not to say that you have a different serial which identifies my device as blue.. but you are not including it in your code, yet it bears the same hardware. Maybe you are not aware of it because it is a limited edition.

Taking a look at the facts her of my AE headset:

my headset was made this year 2019. 

it has a touchpad on the top right section. What can this be used for if not intended for your AR app..

if the hardware is different are you suggesting the AR functionality will come to my headset in time?

if you are not going to support my headset, then what hardware differences are you suggesting for my AE serial? To my knowledge, the hardware in my device is the same if not newer than your other QC35 ii which you do support. Ie, I suspect there is a compas and a gyro in my headset.

You are not providing me with enough technical reasoning for my headset to not be supported.. I want precise details because I want to understand.

i just think there is a misunderstanding on your part and I’m perhaps making you aware of the software issue..

thanks 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

To answer some of your questions:

How have you identified that it was made this year? 

Most likely it was purchased this year, but manufactured before October 2018 - The serial number tells them when it was made and all those ending in AE should have been made before a specific date.  It's unlikely they would have two production lines producing two versions of the headphone at the same time.

Not sure what you mean by a touchpad.  They have the multi-function buttons that allow control and the action button that gives you access to Google/alexa assistants.  These don't seem to have anything to do with Bose AR (but may have some function with particular apps - I'm guessing there)

I beleive the new AZ models have direction/motion sensors so it can detect which way the head turns and is facing and can use that information with whatever BoseAR app you use.

As you have the AE model I don't think your headset will have the compass/gyro built in.  So will not be upgradeable by software.

As mentioned in a previous mod post, if you feel you want to upgrade talk to your local support.  I don't know what options they will have, but they may be able to do something.

Quiet Contributor

"How have you identified that it was made this year?"

it says so in the app..

IMG_2410.jpg

"It's unlikely they would have two production lines producing two versions of the headphone at the same time.".. agreed.

"Not sure what you mean by a touchpad."
IMG_2409.jpg

This is in the same position as per the demo video.

"As you have the AE model I don't think your headset will have the compass/gyro built in.  So will not be upgradeable by software." It appears to me that it's a software issue.. Some developer hasn't handled the new hardware or serial number properly.

Wistful Whiz

I don't work for Bose but here is my personal guess.  They probably at some point stopped production of the AE model and started production of the AZ model - likely in Jan or Feb.  It takes time for the AE's to be sold in the marketplace so there will be some time where you will see both available.  It is also highly likely that those who purchase will be clueless upon the difference between the AE and AZ and so what they get will be 'random'.  Those that do know can find the serial number on the box and figure out which one it was.  When I was at the Apple store two weeks ago, they had four QC35ii on their shelf - three were AE and one was AZ.  It would be logical to assume that statistically, the longer things go, the higher percentage of AZ versus AE.  So anyone that currently has an AE recently purchased, may be able to return that model for an AZ (depending on the policy of the retailer that sold it to them).

Now as far as AR for AE.  IMHO that will never happen regardless of what is inside the AE.  In other words, I don't believe it makes one iota difference whether the AE can technically support it or not.  Bose has made a corporate decision to support only the AZ.  If they wanted to support the AE they would have done so already on day 1.  In other words, if they were going to support all the QC35ii's, they would not have two groups of serial numbers. Again, that is my guess.  So if you have an AE and AR is important - try to get an exchange for an AZ would be my suggestion.

Hi all!

Thank you all for your interest in Bose AR! It is a very exciting development!

I wished to post and clear up a few misunderstandings so you guys have the most relevant, up to date information. 

As a general rule of thumb, you're absolutely correct, the AR-enabled QC35 II will have an 'AZ' in the serial number. This will also be correct for limited edition models as well as custom models. 

@tommylux thank you for sharing the image of your headphones. However, the touchpad you have indicated is the design of the QC35 II and is present on all models of the headphones. You will not be able to see the touchpad on the 'AZ' models. 

I hope this helps, have a great day!

Jessie O

Quiet Contributor

Are you saying that despite my headphone was manufactured only 3 months ago, it doesn’t have the AR functionality.. please confirm. Hashtag disappointed.

Hi, tommylux, 

If your headphones have an 'AE' serial number you will not have AR Functionality. It is likely that your purchase was some of the last 'AE' Serial Numbers before the manufacture of the 'AZ' AR compatible devices. 

If you wish to have the AR functionality, contact your local Customer Service Team. One of our agents will be happy to assist you!

Have a great weekend!

Kindest, 

Jessie O

Wistful Whiz

Agreed, it looks a bit strange that it was made in January

That's not a touch pad, that's a seam in the construction.

A gyro is not a piece of software.  Unless the headphones have the hardware built in that can show the direction of movement (of the headset, not the phone) and the direction it's facing then software will not fix that.