Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjbose
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2017

QC35 II - how to turn off ANC in wired/powered mode

I just bought the QC 35 II.  Does anyone know how to turn off ANC in the wired/powered on mode?  I can't get the action button button on the left ear cup to work when connected by wire with power on (it is working in the wirelless mode).  If anyone that has QC 35 II can try it out and see it works, I would appreciate it.  Trying to determine if my unit is defective, or if it just does not work.  The ANC hurts my ear after a while, and my computer does not have bluetooth/wireless.  I really like the headphone, but not being able to turn off ANC in wired/powered mode is a major issue for me.

Thank you. 

57 REPLIES 57
T S 2
Participant
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

Re: QC35 II - how to turn off ANC in wired/powered mode

I did some testing using mine and figured out that in wired mode, you should use the Power switch to turn off ANC. When in wired mode, none of the buttons (Action, Multi-function, Volume up/down) worked for me. Hope this helps.

jjbose
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2017

Thanks for trying it out TS2.   Unfortunately, if you turn off the power, it also turns off the active EQ, so it does not sound as good.  Another major brand I tried allows you to turn off ANC in wired/powered mode and wireless mode.  Hopefully Bose can make this enhancement.  Or at least have the ANC setting persist when powering the heaphone OFF and ON.  That way you can set in the wireless mode and have it take effect in the wired mode.   

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi jjbose,

Fantastic question!  So with both the QC35s and the QC35 II, connected the headphones via a wired connection will disable the button functionality, as well as active EQ and Bluetooth.  To control the ANC settings you can use the Connect App.  I will pass along that suggestion to our development team for you, we like to hear what our customers want out of their listening experience.

Thanks,

Shiloh_C

jjbose
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 25, 2017

Thanks for passing my request to the development team Shiloh.  The ConnectApp cannot be used in the wired mode to turn off ANC since blue tooth is disabled.  So the option I would suggest is either: 1) Make the ANC control button work in wired/powered ON mode, or 2) Have the ANC setting persist to the last setting when the head phone is turned OFF and ON (currently, it reverts back to ON, so even if you turn it off in the wireless mode, it comes back on when the wire is plugged in).

SoundMike
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 22, 2016

Hi Shiloh_C

Well, I received my new QC 35 ii just a couple of days ago. They sound great!

As I'm a retired wireless systems design engineer, I've of course tried out every possible setting in wireless as well as wired connection with my phones.

First, I updated the my QC 35 ii software to version 2.1.3.

I can report similar observations, as have been mentioned in this conversation.

1. When the audio cable is unplugged from my QC 35 ii and connecting via Bluetooth to my Win 10 computer or Android phone; all buttons, including the Action button (programmed for ANC control) as well as the Volume up / Volume down buttons are all working as expected.
  2. When the audio audio cable is plugged into my QC 35 ii and into my Win 10 computer or Android phone; the Action button (programmed for ANC control) as well as the Volume up / Volume down buttons are none functional.

I'd really appreciate if you look further into the mentioned issues and urge for a solution (FW update) within short.

Considering my plans to use my QC 35 ii on board airplanes, it is of utmost importance to me that the ANC can be set via the Action button, as well as the Volume up / Volume down buttons are functional; while the audio cable is plugged in, regarding not being allowed to use any RF generating (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc) device on board the planes I'm flying with.

Kind regards,

SoundMike

SoundMike
Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Hi SoundMike!

Thanks for your detailed and informative post!  The testing that you have done is great and the headphones are working as intended.  We really appreciate the feedback and I would be happy to forward along your thoughts and observations.

Have a great day!

Shiloh_C

SoundMike
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 22, 2016

Hi Shiloh_C and great thanks for your prompt response!

However, I'm not sure I follow what you mean by your comment "The testing that you have done is great and the headphones are working as intended."

Should I interpret your comment in a way that the Action button (i.e. programmed for ANC control) including its voice / tone announcement, as well as the Volume up / Volume up buttons, are supposed to be deactivated when the Audio cable i plugged in? I do hope that this is a misinterpretation on my side!

Anyway, I've not found any mentioning in the QC35 ii User's guide, or other documentation; that the Action button (i.e. programmed for ANC control) as well as the Volume up / Volume down are only operational when the Audio cable is unplugged.

In the trouble shooting section on page 34 of the QC35 ii User's guide there is actually an indication that the Volume up / Volume down buttons should be operational, also when the Audio cable is plugged in:

"Symptom: No sound from a device connected by the back-up audio cable

Solution: • Increase the volume on your headphones, your mobile device and music source." (my underlining).

The wording "back-up audio cable" gives the impression that the Audio cable is only intended for back-up emergency use e.g. in case the QC35 ii battery ran flat or if the electronics fail.

According to my thinking, it would make sense that plugging the Audio cable into the QC35 ii caused it to switch to "Flight mode", i.e mainly by disabling the Bluetooth circuitry.

Looking forward to a FW update; activating the Action button as well as the Volume up / Volume down buttons, i.e. when the Audio cable is connected.

Keep up the good Bose development work!

Kind regards

SoundMike
hfaraj
Participant
Registered since

Dec 29, 2017

I was considering to get a QC 35 ii when I found this post I got frustrated 😞

I really don't want to get any other brands because I am very fan of Bose's quality.

I hope they fix the issue soon 😞

Edit:
To Bose support: is there any expectations on this issue? Because I need to do this purchase soon 😞
krew
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2018

@hfaraj wrote:
To Bose support: is there any expectations on this issue? Because I need to do this purchase soon 😞
Hi, are there any news regarding this feature request: enable action button in wired mode in order to be able to switch off ANC. (If it was a feature request at all...) Really like my QC35II, but sometimes it would be so nice to use it in wired mode without ANC (but with the internal EQ circuits working).