Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Re: QC35 - Impossible to have a call in noisy environments

Freaking awful design. I almost choked on my coffee today (first time using Bose headset at office) when the other side folks said they could hear my colleague from 10 ft away over me! Having paid 275GBP for this white elephant, I thought even the microphone is positioned to isolate noise. So pissed off right now. In one morning I've lost faith on the entier brand. Never ever again will I buy a Bose product. Trying to get mine sold on eBay now. What a waste!!! If I just wanted to listen to music without external sounds I would pick another headset. Definitely need to warn people - this is borderline fraudulent. How could they release the product with such a huge design flaw?? God it is unimaginable that they did not test a phone call outside their lab or even inside their lab, with a few mice squeaking, to check if they can be heard on the other side. I bet they would sound like furniture being dragged across a marble floor.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Microphone is outside the cup! Horizontal to the mouth, pointing outwards towards the rest of the world rather than your mouth. It can never be fixed unless they send you Bose branded duct tape that you lift and cover depending on when you're talking and when you're listening. I'm so pissed off today. Got them to the office for the first time as my office headset is being replaced. Was so confident that these would work perfectly in the office environment. God what a shock. 5 seconds into my conference call everyone complained about background noise from my side and asked to mute my line. I had to scramble to dial back on my mobile. To realize that a brand you so trusted has put out this GARBAGE! of a design and charged you 300 pounds for it! So I can only listen to music without distractions of the neighbour's toilet flush. Noise cancellation is fine but god, why would you make it unfit to take a call in public or even in a moderately quite office? 

@dbdbdb wrote:

Hello @Shiloh_C and @ST 

Being 100% honest, do you think/know this is a hardware issue that will never be solved in the existing models? Or a software issue thats can be addressed with a future firmware update?

I'm about to get a pair of QC35 series II and although I want to use 80% of the time to listen to songs with NC, I sometimes do conferences because I have a remote job.

===>> So, this communication problem is in hardware or software?

If it is a software issue, I can wait several months for the fix. But if it is a hardware issue, maybe I'll need other headphone with NC.

Thanks!

PS: sorry for posting twice, I think the first one was in a incorrect topic.

@dbdbdb wrote:

Hello @Shiloh_C and @ST 

Being 100% honest, do you think/know this is a hardware issue that will never be solved in the existing models? Or a software issue thats can be addressed with a future firmware update?

I'm about to get a pair of QC35 series II and although I want to use 80% of the time to listen to songs with NC, I sometimes do conferences because I have a remote job.

===>> So, this communication problem is in hardware or software?

If it is a software issue, I can wait several months for the fix. But if it is a hardware issue, maybe I'll need other headphone with NC.

Thanks!

PS: sorry for posting twice, I think the first one was in a incorrect topic.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Microphone is outside the cup, pointing to the rest of the world rather than the user's mouth! There is no fix for this GARBAGE design. You cannot use it in an office unless you have a private soundproof office. Cannot use it in a coffee shop unless you drink yours at the Blockbuster equivalent of coffeeshops. Cannot use it while walking even on a side street as the cars passing sounds like jets to the other party. Did I say the microphone is outsiude the cup pointing to everything else but your mouth. Freaking pissed off.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 2, 2018

I just bought a pair of Bose QC35ii's. Impressed with the sound, I had a set of noise cancelling Nokia Monster before for listening to music. I use 3M Peltor XP Alert headset at work, I can stand next to my CNC with vacuum pump and compressor going and the spindle spinning at 24,000 rpm and people think I am home, same when I drive my old Land Rover Defender, perfect for the phone, ear protection and ok for music. Wearing them for 12 hour plus working days gets hot, they press hard into your head, so I wanted something better lighter for most of the day where I take alot of calls while I work. I went to 2 Bose shops in Stockholm, asked about quality of phone calls etc. All said it was no problem. Well sad to say the music quality is great, I love them for that, but for making phone calls in anything apart from a quiet environment they are useless. I downloaded the latest firmware using Bose Connect. I drove the family out on new years eve, was talking on the phone but the other person couldn't hear me as there was so much chatting in the car. Same at work they can hear all the background noise the compressor, radio etc. So first day at work today after owning them a few days and I was back to using my 3M Peltor which is a great shame. I did read about Headset buddy CM3504 microphone and how happy people had been using that to eliminate background noise, problem is they are sold out and not available until early February, don't know if there are alternatives to that. The 3M headset looks like an aviator headset, the Mic only works when right in front of your mouth. Even my old Nokia's with 8 mic's were no good in noisy environments. It's a shame first time I buy Bose!
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 11, 2018

Hi, I need to confirm having the same issue. This is really a shame because before having the first call I just loved my new headphones. I have seen that there are some other threads regarding the very same issue e.g.:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35-Comfort-Wireless-microphone-is-too-sensitive/t...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-mic-picking-up-background-noise/td-p/35696

However, you have not been able to provide any clear solution in these threads. Is there really no bug fix for that? If that is the case the headphones go back to the store. It's really a pity because I just love the sound (Your latest trick by Dire Straits is magical). I will most likely switch to the competitor now. 

Best regards,

Tom

Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 1, 2018

I have the same problem with my new q35ii.   After 1 mouth of use, I nearly hate them.   For listening music it'S perfect for me.   I'm on conference call most of the time on my phone or with skype for business.  It'S a shame to have a 450$ headset and nobodies car heard you because they only hear external sound.

At the office, we are normally use Jabra evolve 40 headset.  it cost 100$ and people hear me, not my keybord, my collegue, the copier, etc.  

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 5, 2018

@Tony_G - This is not 'sidetone'. As mentioned several times already, the issue is that the people who are on the call are the ones complaining that they can hear so much background noise. The issue is NOT that we can hear background noise inside of our QC35's. I find it hard to believe that Bose cannot replicate this issue or that you're having trouble understanding the issue. 

Why do my cheap $5 headphones handle mic audio level's better than my $350 Bose QC35's? I have already been telling people that they shouldn't buy these and that they should go with Beats Studio 2's, simply because of this issue. I take conference calls a lot during the day and I can't even use my expensive headphones, I have to revert back to my old $5 headphones. Get it together, Bose!!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

I have bought QC 35 II last week, facing same problem..While making calls walking the other side can hear people steps.. What is the use of such pricy headphone if you cant make proper calls which we can do by any $ 40 headsets easily.. That said i want to switch to Bose, so any other headsets (wireless) over the ear in Bose which does not have this problem? Please suggest. It does not need to be noise cancellation as i can hear songs pretty fine with or without noise cancellation (dont feel much difference).. Also having tried couple of noise cancelling headphones i dont understand what is such hype around it...

And whats strange is if i google best wireless headphones for calls - bose QC 35 is there is all links in top 3, is this some kind of joke or reviewers dont test it?

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 31, 2017

If you don't understand the hype around noise cancelling, and you want to use these for phone calls, I would return them as fast as possible. Bose hasn't made firmware changes to correct the issue, and as you can see, we have been having the problems for quite some time.  I can't return, but jump ship while you can! 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 16, 2018

Yes thats what i am going to do, is there any other alternate in Bose for my requirement of calls, wireless over the ear..or in any other brand.