Highlighted
alweston
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 19, 2017

QC35 Series 1 Battery and Update Issues

I recently purchases the QC35 Series 1 headphones and have run into a couple of issues already. The sound and noise cancelling is great, but there are a few issues I'm surprised to find in such expensive headsphones. I really want to like these headphones but the issues are making me think I should return them.

The first problem is the battery drains even when the power is off. For example, I charged them to 100% last night, turned them off, and when I checked this morning the battery was already down to 80%. This happens every time. The previous charge drained to 50% after 3 days of sitting idle with the power off. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to fix this? Calibrating the power meter didn't help.

And speaking of fixes, I tried to update to the latest firmware using the Bose connect app, and even though it says it updated the headphones to the latest version, the Bose Update site says different. I plugged them in with a usb cable, ran the Bose software updater, and it showed they were downlevel and installed the same update (1.3.4) I thought the app had installed. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

Last but not least, the power switch seems to be very poor quality. It takes a lot of effort to move the switch and I'm afraid to push too hard as I've read many posts from others about the switch easily breaking.

Are these common issues or did I just get stuck with headphones that need exchanged?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager

Re: QC35 Series 1 Battery and Update Issues

Hi alweston,

Thank you for joining the Bose Community.  I'm sorry you are having problems with your QC35 not retaining a charge, firmware update,  and for your concern about the power switch.  You should not be having these issues. 

Please follow this link to Bose product support for your area

Click your country, then scroll down until you see local contact information. I would call them.

Please come back and tell us how that goes.

Thank you,

ST

@alweston wrote:

I recently purchases the QC35 Series 1 headphones and have run into a couple of issues already. The sound and noise cancelling is great, but there are a few issues I'm surprised to find in such expensive headsphones. I really want to like these headphones but the issues are making me think I should return them.

The first problem is the battery drains even when the power is off. For example, I charged them to 100% last night, turned them off, and when I checked this morning the battery was already down to 80%. This happens every time. The previous charge drained to 50% after 3 days of sitting idle with the power off. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to fix this? Calibrating the power meter didn't help.

And speaking of fixes, I tried to update to the latest firmware using the Bose connect app, and even though it says it updated the headphones to the latest version, the Bose Update site says different. I plugged them in with a usb cable, ran the Bose software updater, and it showed they were downlevel and installed the same update (1.3.4) I thought the app had installed. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

Last but not least, the power switch seems to be very poor quality. It takes a lot of effort to move the switch and I'm afraid to push too hard as I've read many posts from others about the switch easily breaking.

Are these common issues or did I just get stuck with headphones that need exchanged?

alweston
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 19, 2017

Thanks for the generic support link. I did check that before posting here and I found nothing there to help with these issues. This isn't a support issue to me. It's more a question of whether or not the QC35s are actually worth keeping.

I really was just trying to figure out if these are common issues or not. The more I read the messages here, the more I'm convinced that all 3 of the issues I'm having are common problems. None of them are mentioned on the support site.

I'm afraid the QC35 just isn't worth what I paid. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this product. Thank goodness Amazon makes it easy for me to return them.

Pilou42
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

1) Battery Drain is an issue with your headset: battery is good. I use headphone 1 hour per day and using headphones 2 weeks, I still have battery. It does not lose battery when unused (or very little, like all batteries which don't like not to be used for a long time). You can ask Amazon for a defective unit.

2) Firmware update by BT + app does not update version at some place. It's a minor/cosmetic problem. Update is really done.

3) The power switch can be a bit hard at the beginning, but with time, it's ok. It needs care indeed. But after 1 year, it was still working well.

If you're happy with ANC + comfort, then you should try a RMA with Amazon for your battery issue. Time for you to choose ! Man Wink

Community Manager

Hi  @alweston,

If you are within a return period with the vendor, then please consider exchanging the QC35 for a new one

I couldn't tell if you had that option from your original post. That's why I referred you to Bose Support.  It sounds like your concerns would be covered under warranty.

The battery issue is not normal and it's not a widespread issue. We've seen some reports about the Bose Updater site not recognizing that a firmware update has been applied. We're investigating that. Problems with the power switch do happen but have been relatively rare.

We want you to enjoy your QC35 so I hope you will exchange the unit you've got for a new one.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Thank you,

ST