dramboxf
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

QC35, Win7Pro & Dell XPS8700

My wife recently purchased a pair of the QC35 Bluetooth headphones and wants to use them with her Dell XPS8700 running Windows 7Pro. We've had major issues getting the PC to even recognize the headphones, and as of right now, there is no audio output at all. Let me go through the steps that have ALREADY taken place:

1. Updated the headphone's software from the Bose website;

2. Downloaded & Updated the Bluetooth drivers for the onboard Bluetooth Antenna from the Dell website

3. Added and removed the headsets from Windows' Devices & Printers dialog;

3a:Cleared the headphone's BT device list several times;

4. Made sure that in the Services control applet that the Bluetooth services have been set to automatically start, and then have restarted both the service AND the PC multiple times.

So, the PC sits in an alcove in my wife's desk and uses a wireless USB keyboard and mouse that have never had an issue in the 4 or 5 years she's had this PC. The Bluetooth antenna is on the mobo, which is inside the PC's case itself, and then again inside the desk, although there is no front or rear door; she's currently using the short cable to connect to the PC's headphone jack, but she wants to be able to use this wirelessly.

WE DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE TO ANY VERSION OF WIN10 AT THIS TIME.

Win7Pro is current and all patches have been applied.

I have read extensively about this and know that this is a somewhat "known" problem.

We know that the QC35s work because they connected to my iPhone instantly. (7+, iOS 11.1)

At this point I'm thinking that the onboard Bluetooth (running v4.0 of BT) is a lost cause, and I should probably just get a USB bluetooth adapter. Does anyone know of a known-good USB->Bluetooth adapter that will work with Win7Pro and the QC35s? I don't want to play round robin with Amazon on USB-BT adapters.

Failing that, does anyone know anything else I can try to get these to work?

2 REPLIES 2
dramboxf2
Participant
Registered since

Nov 9, 2017

Re: QC35, Win7Pro & Dell XPS8700

I ended up purchasing an aftermarket USB->Bluetooth adapter for my wife's PC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This worked instantly and solved our problem.

Shiloh_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Aug 25, 2017

Re: QC35, Win7Pro & Dell XPS8700

Hi dramboxf2,

Thank you kindly for coming back and updating us.  I'm glad to hear that this adapter helped resolve your issues, that's great news.

Enjoy your QC35s and come back anytime.

I hope you have a great day,

Shiloh_C