Highlighted
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Re: QC35 and QC30 for communications

Yeah I'm really heartbroken.  I adore my QC30 for media playback and find them the most comfortable earbuds ever, but they really are useless for phone calls.  I can't take them back as I've had them a while, and also wouldn't want to part with them for music.  

It's so frustrating.  I'm thinking about picking up a Plantronics Voyager Edge to use just for phone calls, as they seem to get good reviews for calls and look to be almost as comfy given they way they fit.  But I don't really want to spend the $100+ on one and I don't really want the hassle of carrying both and switching back and forth as needed.

I guess I could try a dedicated bluetooth microphone as someone posted on one of the threads [Edit: it was @jrhodes111, here.]  But that option isn't cheap either and not much more convenient, if any.  Or I could pick up a bluetooth adapter like a BlueAnt Ribbon and use them with one of a few different earphones I have at home collecting dust.  I love the comfort of my old Bose IE2 and would love to use them with a bluetooth adapter but they leak so much noise (that the QC30 otherwise kills through the ANC) that it would make them tough to use.  Any other in-ears I have I stopped using due to ear canal fatigue, as they all fit IN your ear, unlike the Bose options.  Feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place!

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Actually, i have had a couple of Plantronic Edge headphones and they are by far the best noise cancellation earphones I have used for voice communication. I can stand directly in front of our garbage disposal and talk on a conference call and no one has any idea. I use them in the car in thunderstorms and people hear me clearly. They are fantastic. Unfortunately they are mono only so if you are in a noisy environment you have to plug your other ear and push in the Edge as a decent amount of sound leaks in.

The perfect solution is the QC30 isolating you from sound while it provides the NC in call performance of the Edge. That was what I was really hoping for when I bought the QC30. But the QC20 is pretty good at this too. Much better in call performance than the QC30 and very good ANC to isolate you. I just want it in Bluetooth!!
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

I have returned my QC30s as well and was much dissapointed - great fit and wonderful for music but horrible for calls 😞 

In case anyone is interested, I have backed the Zolo Liberty+ (bluetooth earphones) project on kickstarter - they have not only smashed their target very quickly but also over exceeded and are still going strong... 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792059063/liberty-the-first-zero-compromise-total-wireless-e?u...

Highlighted
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Robertpetry thanks for the feedback on the Voyager Edge--that's definitely encouraging.  I suppose I could also carry an ear plug with me for when I need to make calls in noisy areas.  What a pain, and really ideally wouldn't be necessary if the QC30 worked properly!

Oh yeah picking up a pair of QC20 is another option I have thought about but forgot to mention above.  However, I hate this for a few reasons.  One would be dealing with wires again, which the main reason why I went QC30 over the less expensive QC20 to begin with.  Another would be--do I really want to give Bose another $280 (Canadian pricing) of my hard-earned money just to fix a problem that their $400 (Canadian pricing) QC30 doesn't get right?  Should I really have to add $680 total (approx $515 USD at current exchange rates) to the Bose income statement, AND carry around two similar products in order to meet the needs--which just the QC30 should meet--but with far less convenience?  I guess I could try to sell the QC30 and just keep the 20 and that might not be so bad, except there I am again with wires, except now all the time instead of just when on calls.

I really don't want to spend more money on any of the proposed solutions, nor deal with their inconvenience.  But I also hate switching back to holding the phone to my head in order to talk to people.  I guess I'll sleep on it a bit longer and decide.

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

@ST You didn´t answer any of my questions. I would still like to know, how you are solving the issue.

As I mentioned earlier, one of your employees already admitted that a software update won´t fix the issue.

So I am asking again, very concretely, how and when are you going to fix this? I do not know what is worse. The issue itself, or the way you are dealing with it!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 25, 2017

@mysf 
You said you returned the QC30's. You're not out any money any longer. They are openly aware of the issue and are working on it. This is a product sold worldwide. What are you expecting from them on a day to day basis.... ?

@mysanfran wrote:

@ST You didn´t answer any of my questions. I would still like to know, how you are solving the issue.

As I mentioned earlier, one of your employees already admitted that a software update won´t fix the issue.

So I am asking again, very concretely, how and when are you going to fix this? I do not know what is worse. The issue itself, or the way you are dealing with it!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 8, 2017

@ST This discussion has been going on now for over a month and we do not appear to have received any meaningful update from Bose.

Specifically...

Bose acknowledging that the product is unusable in all but a silent environment; that this is unacceptable / not fit for purpose and that Bose are committed to resolving this.

Can the problem be solved with a firmware update?

A timescale for a resolution.

Please provide an update weekly with an answer to the above questions until they are resolved.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 7, 2017

Someone mentioned that the firmware update for the QC35 reduced the problem with the sensitivity of the mic - do any of you think that the issue can be solved completely? I'm within the return period so I'm not sure whether I should return these or wait it out for a firmware fix? Problem is there will be a shipping charge if I return them ....

@ST - any updates for QC35?

Highlighted
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@bjashton I've asked for regular updates before and was greeted with crickets.  And truth be told, the discussion has actually been going on for several months, if you look back at past postings.  

@jasonsmi if you're within your return period, honestly, right now I would say return them and wait it out.  Once you return period is over you won't have the luxury--you'll be stuck with them.  you can always keep following the discussoins here and re-purchase them later if significant progress is made.  To your question of can it be completely fixed, well, honestly I'd say it's anyone's guess at the moment, but I SUSPECT there is only so much they can do just in software, and that it's a combination.  We may or may not see further improvement, but I doubt it will ever be near-flawless.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

Hi,

I experience the same issues of amplified background noises that make most calls a bad experience. If I now bought the QC25 cable, would it solve my problem, giving me the same experience as if I had a QC25?
Thank you!
Pascal