Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: QC35 and QC30 for communications

Hi @Mutnat,

There were no changes to the microphone hardware.  There are differences in the firmware and those are related to Google Assistant.

From the Bose website:

What is the difference between QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones and QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II?

QuietComfort 35 headphones II offer the same unmatched combination of acclaimed noise reduction technology, wireless freedom, audio performance, dual-microphone system and 20-hour battery life as QuietComfort 35 headphones. However, QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II also have a new Action button on the left earcup. In countries and languages where the Google Assistant is available, that button gives you instant access to the Google Assistant. In countries where the Google Assistant is not available, it lets you quickly toggle through three different ANR settings for optimal performance wherever you go.

You mentioned first-hand knowledge; I'll be getting my QC35 II soon. That hasn't been a high priority because I don't use Google Assistant, and I wasn't expecting any other changes.

ST

@Mutnat wrote:

@ST wrote:

Hi @Mutnat

You asked, " @ST is there anything you can add, as to whether anything mic/call related was changed from original QC35 to series 2?"

Thanks for asking.

I haven't got QC35 II yet. I'll let you know what I hear when I do. 

ST

@ST First of all, I guess I was looking for more of a technical/factual answer to my question.  Like, was anything intentionally changed that might help with the phone calling situation.  For example, was the microphone hardware design modified in any way?  Was there intentional software (firmware) changes that were put in to address the microphone issue?  That type of thing.

That said, I would enjoy hearing your impressions when you do get a pair.  To be totally honest, I'm really surprised Bose hasn't supplied you a pair (even before general retail availability) to try and to be able to speak about from first-hand knowledge.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 17, 2017

If true, effectively. If they changed the microphone they would have to admit a serious design flaw in the original which could open them up to significant litigation. So...they continue to sell a defective product for the function they advertise. It is not a usable Bluetooth headset for phone calls, unless you sit entirely still in an anechoic chamber. It has been months and I incorrectly assumed a company like Bose would resolve this issue in some fashion. It has not and evidence seems to suggest it will not happen.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

@ST - my bad, i replied to this thread assuming i dont have to put a laundry list of same issues (receiving a normal personal call outside, at home when other noises like wife talking to other, TV at reasonable volume, Air flow from a AC Vent). these were the issues this thread has already reported and i have been experiencing same with QC35 Series 2 as well. I thought i dont have to repeat again and gave 1 example of a conference call.

I work for a Tech Company and in a collaborative work space. I do go to a conference room for in person or telepresenance meetings but not every ad-hoc call that i may receive during my Day at office. For that purpose i have been using Bose SoundTrue Headphones Around-Ear Style so far, My reason behind going to QC35 was to go for Wireless and Noise cancellation when i am not on a call (i wanted to create a more quiter workspace). While i have no issues with Noise Cancellation, the Microphone literally Amplifies the Keyboard typing as well which is not aceptable for me (While having a call).

I was expecting an anwer or a possible firmware upgrade (if at all its a software issue) or an answer saying its a hardware issue (I Pressume now that Bose has agreed to move on and buy another device for better calling experience) which cannot be fixed.

Thanks,

Sriram

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Hello Sriram,

For your use case I would highly recommend a Jabra evolve 75. Certainly the Bose QC 30s and 35s have better sound quality and better noise cancellation. But the Jabra has very good noise cancellation in an office environment and excellent voice quality for phone calls. They can be used in Bluetooth mode or wired at your desk. They are a good office choice.  We have a number of them at our office and people really like them. 

Highlighted
Mentor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Robertpetry wrote:

Hello Sriram,

For your use case I would highly recommend a Jabra evolve 75. Certainly the Bose QC 30s and 35s have better sound quality and better noise cancellation. But the Jabra has very good noise cancellation in an office environment and excellent voice quality for phone calls. They can be used in Bluetooth mode or wired at your desk. They are a good office choice.  We have a number of them at our office and people really like them. 

@sriramm81 @Robertpetry also have had great experience with a Plantronics Voyager Edge, been using for...2-3 months now I guess, for roughly 3/4 of my calls.  Small, lightweight, comfortable, and performs very well.  More often than not, I can even have a conversation on the train (SkyTrain LRT system in Vancouver, Canada) without excessive complaints from the person on the other end or needing to yell.

*** Please Note: I do not work for Bose; please don't private message me your support questions!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 26, 2017

Appreciate your responses @Robertpetry@Mutnat. Somehow the in-ear headphones (one we get along with iPhone and i have Beats too) are giving me pain hence i've restricted myself to around the ear models only. The Bose Model i've has an excellent padding and QC 35 2 is also no complaints there. Thats why i am after Bose 🙂

I didn't like Beats and Sony's padding because (1) their ear cups are smaller than Bose (2) cups are not holding the position correctly. Bose invested good amount of time and research in finishings, padding and comfort aspects.

I just went thru Soundlink Around-Ear Wireless in Bose forums, people mentioned similar background noise for it too 😞

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 12, 2017

I have the IIs and still have the issue. Try before you buy. My fear is that this is a hardware and design/usage issue. The Microphones are designed to pick up voices and process ambient noise. Without some way of manually adjusting the gain, or even better, without some intelligent processing of the input, this issue is on all of the headphones. With the only solution being to get an inline/corded mic. I LOVE my QC35 IIs, but for conference calls, they're just not suitable :(.

Edit: I'm researching external directional mics that I can mount on my monitor :D. My main issue is that I type heavily and love my mechanical keyboard. I go quiet and the mic adjusts the gain, then I type something and watch as everyone jumps out of their skin.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 3, 2017

I signed up just to post here how disappointed I am in Bose build quality and response on this. I was researching these headphones and wanted to see if there was a newer version available that  resolved or if they had managed to fix it with firmware. That led me to the another posting which led me here where they're all amalgamated. 

I won't be buying any more Bose products, after purchasing probably $1,500 in the last 2 years between OE headphones, earbuds, and bluetooth speakers.

I've had unreliable quality with some of the products, but they were first or maybe second generation with new features and I had thought a Bose would certainly work the issues out in newer releases. 

But, for their top of the line ear buds, they really don't seem to care. The reviews are lousy, the customers who are brand loyal are complaining, and they do nothing. 

I'm r eally disappointed  because I liked my previous Bose but needed bluetooth as I have to upgrade my iPhone for work and will lose the 3.5mm jack capability. Apple's in their 2nd year with no headphone jack, and yet Bose still can't get their act together and is leaving paying customers blowing in the wind while new, unsuspecting customers who have trusted Bose line up to throw money at products that are known to be defective.

The thing that's so gross is the prestige brand that has such little regard for burned loyal customers, for the consumers out there still being burned as they continue to buy, and for the quality of the product itself as a point of pride.

Anyways, I have been burned before by electronics that are supposed to be high end, and I really felt the frustration of the users here, so I wanted to chime in and at least say that I won't be buying any more Bose products ever again.

I'm not a troll, I'm just a consumer who stayed up late researching and got annoyed by this and felt compelled to comment. I hope you guys do get results, but I've been in this spot with other brands before and generally they don't care. I guess it's because I own a company and  have always worked clients, and I can't imagine leaving them out to dry while continuing to market and sell a defective product.

Good luck guys 🙂

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 5, 2017

You're absolutely right!

Problem is I doubt they care. I've been on the long-distance flight recently and around 10% of all passengers were rocking QC 25 or QC 35 😞

Why would Bose care if probably their results are showing them record sales? 

Don't get me wrong. I'm with you and I'm annoyed by how bad those headphones are for phone calls, but I can bet Bose won't do anything to fix it. 

In my case this means I'll keep QC 35 to use on the flight and will never again buy anything else from Bose Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 12, 2017

To Bose,

I have Quite 35, manfacture in April 2017 and runing firmware 1.3.6.  The microphone sensivity is major issue when working in office enviroment and using  Skype.  I am have now resort to using a alertative bluetooth head set - cost £16, while away from my home office. Some what of a disappointed. Was this not considered / tested as part if the product spec and UAT.  As I recall adverts show these headphone being usd in office and street.  Hoping enginners can come up with a fix!