Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2017

Re: QC35 and QC30 for communications

**bleep**, how frustrating that there's not a proper fix. READ BELOW FOR MY FIX:

If I'm on my Windows 10 PC (i.e. QC35 II bluetoothed to PC and iPhone), I can clearly hear birds outside, mouse clicks, scratching of the mouse on the table as I move it around and keyboard presses, but it cancels out a lot of other nose. I just want it all cut out!

What's also interesting, is that it seems to come on and off, if the PC plays any noise (like a windows alert, or I start a game), then the mic comes on and I can hear those higher pitch noises. No sound playing on PC, noise cancellation is perfect.

What's also interesting, is I'VE FOUND A FIX! In Windows 10, if I right click the speaker icon in the system tray, click recording devices and DISABLE the Headset (for the Bose QC35 II), then, go to the Playback tab and disable "Headset" for the QC35 II (note that there should also be "Headphones" for the QC35 II, leave that enabled).

That fixes the issue! Even works through reboots.

Quite why the Bose engineers think that we'd want the mic activated whenever a noise on the PC is playing, I'll never know... I guess I'll have to enable the headset on the recording tab (or use the laptop's mic) whenever I want to Skype. Not perfect, but a massive step up and makes the headphones usable at least.

2017-12-26 14_44_19-Sound.png2017-12-26 14_46_22-.png

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2017

@baker_tony wrote:

**bleep**, how frustrating that there's not a proper fix. READ BELOW FOR MY FIX:

If I'm on my Windows 10 PC (i.e. QC35 II bluetoothed to PC and iPhone), I can clearly hear birds outside, mouse clicks, scratching of the mouse on the table as I move it around and keyboard presses, but it cancels out a lot of other nose. I just want it all cut out!

What's also interesting, is that it seems to come on and off, if the PC plays any noise (like a windows alert, or I start a game), then the mic comes on and I can hear those higher pitch noises. No sound playing on PC, noise cancellation is perfect.

What's also interesting, is I'VE FOUND A FIX! In Windows 10, if I right click the speaker icon in the system tray, click recording devices and DISABLE the Headset (for the Bose QC35 II), then, go to the Playback tab and disable "Headset" for the QC35 II (note that there should also be "Headphones" for the QC35 II, leave that enabled).

That fixes the issue! Even works through reboots.

Quite why the Bose engineers think that we'd want the mic activated whenever a noise on the PC is playing, I'll never know... I guess I'll have to enable the headset on the recording tab (or use the laptop's mic) whenever I want to Skype. Not perfect, but a massive step up and makes the headphones usable at least.

QC-35 creates two different audio output devices when paired. One is "Headphones (QC-35 Stereo)" (Bluetooth A2DP profile as I believe, unidirectional, output only, high quality) and "Headset (QC-35 Hands-free)" (different bluetooth profile, mono, bidirectional including mic input, lower quality). You can choose output device in Win 10 and it will use appropriate bluetooth profile and QC-35 mode. From what you are describing, it seems to me that you have Headset selected. Select Stereo mode, it will automatically disable mic and provides you with better audio quality. Click "speaker" icon in taskbar and in top dropdown select Headphones (QC-35 Stereo).

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2017

Hey all in this forum,

I was one of the many ppl experiencing call problems with my freshly bought QC35 II headphones.

After searching many different forums posts and google, i stumbled upon something that solved my problem.

The thing in my case was: The problem were not my headphones, but my phone itself.

I tried the following:

I went to app manager on my phone, i showed system apps.

You need to find bluetooth share, and bluetooth widget.

Go to bluetooth share, and in there go to storage, press CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE, after that do the same with bluetooth widget.

After that do another reset on your bluetooth list both on your phone and headphones.

After ive done all this, my problem was fixed, i can hear calls, receive just like my old soundlink headphones did.

I dont know how many ppl can be helped with this, my phone is an htc one m8, but defo worth a shot, hope this helps, it did to me.

Greetings and btw love these cans!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2017

Re: QC35 for communications

Hey all again,

Bringing an update about my last post.

Allthough it did work at first, i had recurring issues with my bluetooth call and/or media audio.

I went back to the forum where i found my original solution, and so far, i did found another little detail to try to help.

I went to settings, then to location, go to scanning (in my case thats right corner), you should see wifi and bluetooth scanning.

Disable the bluetooth scanning.

I think personally the problem still is my phone, it seems to conflict a bit with the bose connect app,

Maybe the bluetooth scanning off will help that but i have to see yet myself.

im going to try some resets and test the headphones both with the app, and without the app.

Hopefully with this new step, ill have good results, i will update my post once again tomorrow or bit later.

Greetings all and happy holidays!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 4, 2018

Bose, here is my feedback:

I purchased QC 35 ii for use for phone calls on my mobile and computer (ip phone such as skype, cisco jabber).

I can't hear my own voice when using mobile + bose headset, which kills my ability to confidently hold a conversation on the phone.

I'm going to need to return these unless there is a quick fix ... such as user-adjustable side tone via an iphone (or android) app.

Apparently the engineers have been thinking about this for a LONG TIME.  And the fact that we are still talking about this problem 1 year later is a good indication that I should return my Bose.  Because I need a product that works NOW.  Not, "we might deliver a solution some day in the future."  I'm in technology sales and I know that talking about possible future solutions = "don't hold your breath".

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 27, 2017

I tried to return mine but Amazon wouldn't accept it cause it's been more than a month, so I bought Sony's MDR 1000 instead and put these up for sale, which will still work out well cause I got them on black Friday discount.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 23, 2018

Hello Bose & Everybody,
I’m a QC35 user, I bought it a month ago. I have the same problem during phone calls. It is is my fist Bose headphone and I’m very disappointed by such a problem with a 300€ product.
Bose, could you fix the problem ??
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2018

Inspired by baker_tony's response, I've got a small hack that works around this on Mac.

A few disclaimers though:

1) This only works if you don't need to use the microphone. (Sorry)

2) Mac OS only

As far as I can tell, this background sound is triggered when the headphones think the microphone is engaged. So we want to convince them that no microphone needed. Basically we're going to use a different microphone in System settings: 

Go into System Preferences > Sound. In the Output tab, select your QC35 headphones... 

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 9.42.40 AM.png

Then switch over to the Input tab. Here, choose the non-QC35. This will typically be "built-in microphone". 

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 9.42.47 AM.png
 That should mostly be enough. Though if its not working, you may want to make the change and then turn off/on your headphones. (Perhaps the order of headphones pairing vs microphone selection matters?)

Gluck

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2018

As of today, I still have this problem, the fact that there is 19 pages on this thread alone makes me wonder if BOSE care at all?!

After 9 days of purchase I tested calling on my Quietcomfort 35II, from my workplace, as a normal office environment there was some background noise, not much but still there.

The receiver of my call did hear everything, from me typing on my keyboard to small sounds being amplified to an unbearable level, I switched to my phones microphone and continued the call with no problems regarding audio.

I felt like many in this thread, why does this happen on a 300+ Euro product.

After doing some research I did all the resets and paring that BOSE recommended, still same problem.

I decided to call the support on the headphones, the first thing the technician said is that he could not hear me properly, this made an excellent point and I again switched over to my phones mic and explained my situation.

A very friendly support asked if I did reset my device and initiated a exchange of my product, as this disturbance was "clearly an hardware error", said and done my faulty device was sent by UPS to BOSE.

On Friday I got my new QC35 (completely new QC35 in box and in wrapping), started them up, paired them to my phone and tested to make a call.
Here comes the fun part, the same issue.

Humm might it be my phone? Tried another phone, same issue no difference what so ever!

Today I will contact support again, and this time I don’t want an replacement since this clearly is not an isolated issue. 

I just can’t believe that this is such a big problem from a big audio company, makes me wonder how many have this issue, how many just accept this "quality" just of pride after spending such a big chunk of money on a headphone? I will update on this thread again and post my results.

I will not settle for another replacement and will buy an other product such as the Sennheiser PXC 550.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2018

I got to hand it to the support at Bose, I rang them up and explained my situation.

They agreed on refunding me the full amount of the purchase price.

They pointed out: ”it’s better that you don’t have the product If you are not satisfied”

I will return them to Bose and see If I can find a product that can be good enough to make calls in an Office type environment.