Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Re: QC35 and QC30 for communications

@ST I have to agree with @mreckhof in that the QC30 *should* be perfect for those types of uses, it should not be a poor fit.

Nowhere on the product page does it discourage use for calls in anything but an anechoic chamber.  In fact, it says:

Wireless sound without compromises

Leave the wires behind—without sacrificing performance. The volume-optimized EQ delivers consistent, balanced sound at any volume. If you’re on a busy street and need to turn it up, the sound stays true to your music. And they’re re-engineered with Bluetoothand NFC pairing, so connecting to your devices wirelessly is quick and easy. An inline remote lets you take/end calls, skip/pause tracks and control volume without reaching for your device. So you can focus on the music.

And then futher down in the FAQ's:

What happens to the noise cancelling level during a call?

When the user takes or makes a call, the noise cancelling level will remain at the current setting. The user can adjust noise cancelling up or down during a call.

[bold font added by me as emphasis.]

Honestly, if you can't/won't/don't correct this, or at least in the meantime, you should add this to the FAQ:

Can I make and receive phone calls?

Yes, you can.  The QC30 comes with an inline microphone to let you make and receive calls. Because we include technology to boost your voice, please be aware that the person or persons on the other end of the call will hear every minute noise around you, near and even not so near, amplified to the point where they may not be able to hear you properly.  Please only make and receive calls in extremely quiet environments such as libraries and sealed, empty offices with no background noise what-so-ever.  Under these conditions, and only these conditions, can you enjoy wireless sound without compromises.

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Bose, look, another satisfied Bose customer!... after abandoning and buying Air Pods.  Apple, Sony, and Sennheiser must be loving the Bose range's inability to handle phone calls.  It's great for their bottom line!

Community Manager

Hi Mutnat,

Thanks for your comments. I'll forward your comments to the appropriate people at Bose.

ST

@Mutnat wrote:

@ST I have to agree with @mreckhof in that the QC30 *should* be perfect for those types of uses, it should not be a poor fit.

Nowhere on the product page does it discourage use for calls in anything but an anechoic chamber.  In fact, it says:

Wireless sound without compromises

Leave the wires behind—without sacrificing performance. The volume-optimized EQ delivers consistent, balanced sound at any volume. If you’re on a busy street and need to turn it up, the sound stays true to your music. And they’re re-engineered with Bluetoothand NFC pairing, so connecting to your devices wirelessly is quick and easy. An inline remote lets you take/end calls, skip/pause tracks and control volume without reaching for your device. So you can focus on the music.

And then futher down in the FAQ's:

What happens to the noise cancelling level during a call?

When the user takes or makes a call, the noise cancelling level will remain at the current setting. The user can adjust noise cancelling up or down during a call.

[bold font added by me as emphasis.]

Honestly, if you can't/won't/don't correct this, or at least in the meantime, you should add this to the FAQ:

Can I make and receive phone calls?

Yes, you can.  The QC30 comes with an inline microphone to let you make and receive calls. Because we include technology to boost your voice, please be aware that the person or persons on the other end of the call will hear every minute noise around you, near and even not so near, amplified to the point where they may not be able to hear you properly.  Please only make and receive calls in extremely quiet environments such as libraries and sealed, empty offices with no background noise what-so-ever.  Under these conditions, and only these conditions, can you enjoy wireless sound without compromises.

rdwwdr
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 12, 2017

I got my QC 30s in January and no one complained about the quality of my voice until a few months ago. Now I find the microphone useless and have to turn off the QC 30s when someone calls so I can be confident of the microphone quality. I just took a call in the silence of my kitchen and the person at the other end couldn't understand me. Quick google search shows I'm not the only one and it led me here. 

I see I'm running firmware 1.2.8 and the app (Pixel) is preparing an update so I guess I'll get a newer version soon. Not expecting anything to change based on what I'm seeing in this forum. 

Anyway, very disappointed a premium headset has such an annoying issue. I'm leaving this here primarily to be updated to this thread.  

Community Manager

Hi @rdwwdr

This sounds like a different problem.

If people are having difficulty hearing you when you call from a quiet location and especially since this is a new problem I'd suggest that you call Bose Support. 

Please follow this link to Bose product support for your area. Click on your country, then scroll down to contact information for Bose Support. 

Thanks,

ST

mwitschger
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 6, 2017

@ST: maybe you guys should ask sennheiser on their solution.

@all users: best would be to start mention this "feature" in product reviews to avoid others to buy this product. maybe this would speed up the process to finally get a fix...

@ST wrote:

We have several discussions about the QC35 and QC30 and your experiences when using them for communications. I'm going to invite participants in those other discussions to join us in this discussion.

Here is some background information.

We tuned the communication microphones, mainly used for telephone conversations to the human voice frequency range. They automatically adjust the gain (microphone volume) for "low talkers". In a loud environment where there are voices in the background, it’s possible the microphones will pick up those background voices and bring up the gain. This can send the background voices through to the far end person on a call. The person wearing the headset may hear this too.

To test if this is happening, move to a quieter environment. Then talk to hear if the far end audio improves. Or talk louder so that the communication microphones pick up your voice over background voices. It’s important to note that your devices and cell networks in use may also perform automatic gain adjustments to the communication microphones' audio path.

Previously we've said: 

Our engineering teams are aware of the reports provided here about the background noise level issue in some environments

Adjustable microphone sensitivity is a feature that is being explored by our engineers for future consideration.

User Adjustable side tone is a very popular feature request and along with other feature requests have been received by our engineers and is being explored.

We should have an announcement about the next firmware update for QC35 in two to three weeks.  The announcement should cover what will be in the next firmware release and when it will be available.

edit: We don't have news about firmware updates for QC30

We don't have news about the next firmware update for QC30 yet.

Let's talk. 

ST

@ST wrote:

We have several discussions about the QC35 and QC30 and your experiences when using them for communications. I'm going to invite participants in those other discussions to join us in this discussion.

Here is some background information.

We tuned the communication microphones, mainly used for telephone conversations to the human voice frequency range. They automatically adjust the gain (microphone volume) for "low talkers". In a loud environment where there are voices in the background, it’s possible the microphones will pick up those background voices and bring up the gain. This can send the background voices through to the far end person on a call. The person wearing the headset may hear this too.

To test if this is happening, move to a quieter environment. Then talk to hear if the far end audio improves. Or talk louder so that the communication microphones pick up your voice over background voices. It’s important to note that your devices and cell networks in use may also perform automatic gain adjustments to the communication microphones' audio path.

Previously we've said: 

Our engineering teams are aware of the reports provided here about the background noise level issue in some environments

Adjustable microphone sensitivity is a feature that is being explored by our engineers for future consideration.

User Adjustable side tone is a very popular feature request and along with other feature requests have been received by our engineers and is being explored.

We should have an announcement about the next firmware update for QC35 in two to three weeks.  The announcement should cover what will be in the next firmware release and when it will be available.

edit: We don't have news about firmware updates for QC30

We don't have news about the next firmware update for QC30 yet.

Let's talk. 

ST

VHSCOTT
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 16, 2017

Ok Bose,

I just dropped a considerable amount of money on a a QC30 and would like for you to start listening to this thread.  I read the lead response was "the engineers say there is not a problem."  This is NOT TRUE.  Pay attention.  There is a problem and you are way to good a company to produce something like this.

Is it possible that this is not a case of the inline microphone picking up and amplifying the sounds in the vocal frequency range but could it be the noice cancelling microphones?  It is doing a REALLY great job.  For example I was sitting out back in my yard.  Call popped up.  I could hear clearly little finch calls that were inaudible to me without the headphones in.  That is a LOT of amplification.

In any kind of environment beyond one that is almost silent the system is unusable for calls.  That cannot be your intent and it will significantly hurt your business.  Get beyond the engineers saying there should not be a problem and go fix it.  Quickly.

R/
VHS

wwhit710
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 17, 2017

It is worth noting that like everyone else on this thread I have found it nearly impossible to use the QC35 for telephone calls.  If I am talking and typing on my keyboard it amplifies the keyboard sounds over top of my speaking. I am am simply shuffling papers around I recieve complaints from the individuals on the other end of the line that I am making too much noise.  This is a real disappointment for such a high end device.

Cdte
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 21, 2017

Just wanted to add that I've got the same issues with my qc30s on the latest firmware. I bought the headphones to make calls when out walking but find its impossible as no one can hear me because of the background noise. I have switched to air pods and people can now hear me fine but they let in so much background noise I can't hear the callers. The search for a good pair of wireless headphones to make calls with continues Robot Sad

vandrew
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

Hi ST,

Yes let's talk. Try giving me a call and I speak with you thru the QC30. Bose customer service couldn't hear me at all with the background noise it is picking up and amplifying. I have to switch off the QC30 and speak thru the phone. Got a replacement and still the same.

I have the incident number and if you did record the support call, please try hearing it. So basically I do not know what this thread is for? Just call some of us here and you will see the issue straight away.