Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 11, 2018

Re: QC35 mic picking up background noise

Hi, I need to confirm having the same issue. This is really a shame because before having the first call I just loved my new headphones. I have seen that there are some other threads regarding the very same issue e.g.:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35-Comfort-Wireless-microphone-is-too-sensitive/t...

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-Impossible-to-have-a-call-in-noisy-environmen...

However, you have not been able to provide any clear solution in these threads. Is there really no bug fix for that? If that is the case the headphones go back to the store. It's really a pity because I just love the sound (Your latest trick by Dire Straits is magical). I will most likely switch to the competitor now. 

Best regards,

Tom

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Does anyone know if the Series 1s are any better in this regard? My cans were stolen this week and I unfortunately have to replace them.

If the old versions are better, why not save a couple bucks, eh?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 2, 2018

I posted on another thread, here but no response from anyone at Bose. I read all the negative comments about making calls with QC35 and QC35ii, went to two Bose centers here and tried them for music which is great, asked about call problems, was assured they worked really well.

I made a phone call with a few people in my car, they were just chatting, the car was stationary, the person the other end couldn't understand me as the background noise was too much, another time at work they thought the radio was really loud, but it wasn't. It's always on here and never affects calls because it's too loud, they work OK on calls in a quiet environment.

I have been using 3M Peltor headphones at work for years, Bluetooth ear protection, built in radio, or stream from mobile no wires, I can stand next to my machines and people think I am home they hardly hear the massive vacuum pumps, compressor, and machine itself turning at 24,000rpm. I bought the Bose as an alternative to the 3M for long days when I just need to work and listen to music and answer the phone because on 12 hour days the Peltor ones press into your head are heavier and just uncomfortable after many hours. I too am in a dilemma, do I return them within 30 days, or wait for a solution that looks like it will never come.

Have always admired Bose products, you do aviation headsets, why not supply a boom Mic as an accessory, just for noisy environments, it would avoid all these negative posts and give a valued option, to an otherwise great product.

I saw headset buddy offered a wired Mic, but ate out of stock to at least mid March, after realising a design fault, not sure about Antlion mod Mic, but these are all wired. It would be great to just plug into the 2.5mm jack and away you go.

http://www.signcraft.se/images/peltor.jpg
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2018

I'm only replying as I ALSO have this issue with Bose QC35. Oddly, my girlfriend's black pair doesn't have this issue, but my silver one does.

Anyway, I'm hoping BOSE's system will notify me of replies, in desperate hope that I can make a phone call and not hear the dishes clattering RIGHT IN MY EAR instead of 30' away.

-bort

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2018

I am also having this issue when I connect to my Dell XPS 13. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 5, 2018

Same issue here. QC35II.

Calls from coffee shop, people can't hear me.
Holding my pixel 2 xl to my ear with no headphones - all is fine... Same when paired to my MacBook - with headphones tones of background noise in the calls.

I cannot believe $350 headphones suck at calls so much!!! Seems from some comments here it's not all models.

BOSE - what's the solution?!!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 7, 2018

Same issue here; unbelievable how much background noise is picked up from the headphone mic on a call.  Would like to know of a fix for this. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2018

Agreed, I've been using these headphones for a year now and it's amazing how much the mic amplifies background noise.  I literally can't even type while I'm on a call without it being a really loud distraction for people on the other line.  This has literally ruined business calls before.  How on earth does Bose not know about this, and more importantly, why doesn't Bose care?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 9, 2017

I'm using QC35 for a year now and have tested calling in many environments. I agree that in office or any quite place where people talk around you they are terrible. However in noisy environments where the noise source is different that human voice they work excellent. I can easily talk in a car (being passenger) while going over 140-160km/h (90-100mph) on a highway with high wind and tire noise. I’ve asked callers several times and they always say that they can hear me as clear as I was standing next to them and with no background noise whatsoever.

It appears that NC in QC35 is setup so during phone call it simply ignores frequencies that human voice works on regardless of if voice comes from the person using them or anyone else around. This really looks like a major bug in either software or microphones design.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 15, 2017

@Marek78 wrote:

However in noisy environments where the noise source is different that human voice they work excellent. I can easily talk in a car (being passenger) while going over 140-160km/h (90-100mph) on a highway with high wind and tire noise. I’ve asked callers several times and they always say that they can hear me as clear as I was standing next to them and with no background noise whatsoever.

Nice finding Marek! I will try to test it out.