Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Re: QC35 mic picking up background noise

Can someone from Bose comment on whether or not this issue is fixed in the QC35 II series?  We are buying headphones for our phone agents - phone quality is #1 while music playback when not in a call is #2, and we're holding off until we can figure out if it's even worth trying the series II from bose.

The Sony & B&W headsets don't seem to have this problem.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 10, 2017

You need to look at the Jabra evolve 75
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 6, 2017

@ocgltdI have the QC35 II and am also seeing this issue. 

@Bose what should I be doing? Waiting for a patch or trying to get a replacement?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

I spoke with two representatives at Bose. As unbelievable as this sounds they both confirmed that this is the expected behavior for the head set. If you return the headset for a replacement you will have the same problem. Probably better to request a refund.

Contributor
Registered since

Mar 27, 2017

This is just BS. This will be my last Bose headset for sure. Not going to recommend it either.

Apparently making better quality headsets is not on Bose's interest anymore given that the QC35 II is the same BS + a useless Google Assistant button. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

I thought that this was one of the best consumer electronic devices I have ever owned ...

Until I made a phone call. 

This defeats one of the primary reasons I upgraded. That this is the "expected behavior" blows my mind even more. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

Just today I realized how flawed the design is. How can you have the microphone in a position that it picks up sounds from all around you when on a call? It fails in this one basic functionality? Keeping niode out while listening to music/TV is all good but for this price I can't use the headphones outside my quiet bedroom?? Freakin unbelievable. I want to return these for a refund to Bose - worried they won't accept it as I bought it brand new but on eBay from a 3rd party seller.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

I read almost all the posts in this thread after buying the QC35 series 1 and started to regret my purchase. But, I decided to test it out thoroughly before returning the headset. For those who are or will be in my situation, hope this helps:

I wanted to make sure that I am on the receiving end of the call as well as the caller. So, I took help from my wife and tested out the following combinations: a) I made a call using QC35 and iPhone 6s to my wife who used her iPhone 6 plus directly to answer my call and talk to me. b) I had my wife make a call using QC35 and my iPhone 6s, and I answered her call directly from her iPhone 6 plus and talk to her. 

Surroundings: While carrying out the two combinations above, we chose to be at a mall:

1) In the middle of the mall near a kids' playing area and outside the mall where it was a bit windy but quiet, and then vice versa

2) Both of us stood about 100 feet away from each other where a lot of adults were talking and passing by (the usual hustle bustle we hear on a busy mall day),

3) One of us stood in the mall, and the other one went outside where it was quiet, but stood under a ceiling speaker playing music at a moderate volume, and then vice versa

Results: Let's get the easy part out of the way as it doesn't involve QC35's microphone. Whoever had the QC35 on, noticed that the incoming voice was loud and clear from the iPhone 6 plus (note that QC35 was paired only with iPhone 6s). We know that when we have a phone like iPhone against our ears, it does cancel out a lot of background noise naturally, so we heard whatever iPhone 6 plus's own microphone let in. Overall, the experience was pleasing. 

Now, let's talk about QC35's microphone. Surprisingly enough, wheover spoke through QC35, the voice came through crisp, and sufficiently loud. Of course, where it got really loud, we were able to increase the recipient's iPhone speakerphone volume and hear QC35 talker fine. What I want to stress here is that we both noticed that background noise was not cancelled, but we both understood that the QC35 talker was closest to the microphone, and never once the loudness of the surroundings or a little bit of a wind noise affected the overall conversation. 

Note about sidetone: When QC35's noice cancellation was turned all the way up using the app, it was hard to hear myself when talking through its microphone so I wasn't confident about how loud or soft I should talk, especially when surroundings were loud. The moment I reduced the noise cancallation to medium, it helped the sidetone come through more, and I was able to speak more naturally, better yet, adapt to the surrounding noise and talk louder/softer as necessary. 

Overall, my personal opinion is that a microphone that's fitted into QC35 is NOT the type that everyone's expecting it to be. But it didn't affect our opinion of its performance in the surrounding we tested it in. The background noise sounded exactly what it was - in the background. And its levels were low enough to not impact the quality of our conversation. 

Until I change my opinion, I am keeping the headset. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

I had this same problem of background noise when using my mac...If you go into sound preferences and then input, turn the input volume all the way down after double clicking the input source as internal. This will cancel out the background noise,but siri for the laptop will also not be able to hear you. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 30, 2017

They can't fix it. I was stupid to just read the fawning reviews of the noise cancellation capabilities and took it for granted that calls in open environment would also be managed well. The Mic is outside the earcup facing the world, not the user's mouth. It catches everything going on around you. 10 pound headsets have better Mic placement. This has been a disaster for me as I can't even return them to the third party I bought from. Cannot believe Bose has guys who tested this product before putting it out in the market. The charlatans on review websites built the hype over noise cancellation without informing readers about this fundamental godawful flaw. This headset cannot be priced 300 GBP with such a shortcoming.